Old 11-15-2001, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased my 5th 1969 Firebird this past August to restore to street condition. The other 4 have come and gone over the years and I've loved every one of them.

Back when I was in college in 1978, just after purchasing #2, a friend of mine said he had located another 69 at a junkyard in another part of Jacksonville (FL). He was pretty excited because it had a set of rally gauges. I didn't have a clue, but the idea of having the extra gauges seemed like a cool idea.

So, we took a trip across town and with the blessing of the guy running the yard, we proceeded to rip out the gauges. "Awesome", I thought -- I'm gonna stick these in the car!"

Well, over the years, number 2 went by the wayside, numbers 3 and 4 came and went, and I moved from FL to VA. All the while, despite numerous spring cleanings, I hung onto those gauges.

Back in '95 I started to get into Corvettes in a big way and thought that I had finally gotten into the ultimate car line. During a particularly cruel and fatal spring cleaning episode, I thought "naw, I'll never need these again" and........tossed the gauges.

Now, I'm pricing these gauges out and it's very painful to see what I threw away. Why the H-E-double-hockey-sticks didn't I just keep 'em? I could kick myself, to say the least.

I can't wait to stick a new set in #5 -- in some small way, it will make it all seem right again....

Oh, and I'm NEVER throwing anything away again!

Old 11-15-2001, 11:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I purchased my 5th 1969 Firebird this past August to restore to street condition. The other 4 have come and gone over the years and I've loved every one of them.

Back when I was in college in 1978, just after purchasing #2, a friend of mine said he had located another 69 at a junkyard in another part of Jacksonville (FL). He was pretty excited because it had a set of rally gauges. I didn't have a clue, but the idea of having the extra gauges seemed like a cool idea.

So, we took a trip across town and with the blessing of the guy running the yard, we proceeded to rip out the gauges. "Awesome", I thought -- I'm gonna stick these in the car!"

Well, over the years, number 2 went by the wayside, numbers 3 and 4 came and went, and I moved from FL to VA. All the while, despite numerous spring cleanings, I hung onto those gauges.

Back in '95 I started to get into Corvettes in a big way and thought that I had finally gotten into the ultimate car line. During a particularly cruel and fatal spring cleaning episode, I thought "naw, I'll never need these again" and........tossed the gauges.

Now, I'm pricing these gauges out and it's very painful to see what I threw away. Why the H-E-double-hockey-sticks didn't I just keep 'em? I could kick myself, to say the least.

I can't wait to stick a new set in #5 -- in some small way, it will make it all seem right again....

Oh, and I'm NEVER throwing anything away again!