Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 03-28-2008, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Dis-satisfied with Parts for sale section.

Will no longer be posting parts for sale on PY. I obtain quite a few parts from time to time I sell used. But at times don't know the value or just want people to make me an offer. I will then take the best offer and sell it. Why shouldn't i take the best offer without being FORCED to state a price and maybe make less money. None of this I was first or how much. Pm the person. Didn't see the need to be FORCED to put a price on something I really don't know the value of. I can see the location deal. That helps people decide on shipping costs or whether they can pick it up without shipping. Or posting no price or offer deal nothing at all. But posting........... make offer........ has nothing to do with whether the political or religious world will end.

Pricing a part or parts is Ok for some items that have a certain market value or peple want to do it. Go for it, but shouldn't be a deciding factor on whether to pull a post by a moderator and lose a sale because a moderator personally feels it what he wants it done.
I think this rule has become Anal retentive. I agree that personal opinions aren't needed in the for sale section. Maybe better time spend looking over this stuff. These are public forums run by PY with moderators set up to control more important things then making sure a price is listed with a part after having a post pulled over a non decript set of heads. If not interested then look at the next post for sale. If interested then PY offers the PM or e-mail mode to contact the seller. How one can get pi$$ed or upset because a price isn't listed is beyond me. If one can't take the extra time to correspond then one was not truely interested to begin with. Some of the reasoning I have received on this topic from mods is just a cop out to add more control or give them something more to do in the constant power struggle over content on PY and actual good it does. You be the judge.

I am no longer posting parts on the only POntiac site on the internet requiring pricing.

I guess it's off to Classical Pontiac, Pontiac Zone and Pontiac Street Performance along with racingjunk and 17 thousand other sites that offer this service.

Shame that PY has come to this point in it's great and growing history of providing a great Place for people to meet and sell parts thatone is forced to put a price on an item not knowing the value ot trying to get the best price for it.
Even E-bay doesn't make you set a price!!!!!!!!!

Chris............... this is a rule that needs to be recinded.

Race Hard & have Fun. There is no anger or dissin at anyone in particular in this post so it has no reason to be pulled. Just a view point and maybe a discussion on a rule that needs to be removed in the For Sale section only.

Last edited by PONTIAC DUDE; 03-28-2008 at 07:58 AM.
Old 03-28-2008, 08:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

does your site have a section for used parts for sale? If so, just place a link to it in your signature or mention it in your signature.

Old 03-28-2008, 08:30 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I went to the for sale section and read the new/old rules and have to say I agree with them except for this one you mentioned. All it does is create more traffic in other sections by making people ask whats it worth.

Mods we need to relook at this rule.

Glen

Old 03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Craigs List works/worked for meeee.

Ken, I gots to agree , and ponder why Selling herein has these rules.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:10 AM
Ultimate Warrior

sorry ken but you should know what you have and what you are willing to sell it for that simple. you are a business man right? its a new/good rule in my opinion.:usflag:

Old 03-28-2008, 09:20 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Sorry to hear that, I have purchased from you in the past and you have alot of great parts to offer. Always look forward to the parts you have to offer, I know these are from a reputation I can trust. I will often purchase used, hope there is a solution to this! Thanks for past offers. Mitch

Old 03-28-2008, 09:26 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would hate to be " outbid ". Especially if I am the first one to agree to buy it.
You would think it might create some bad feelings toward "someone", if "someone" out bids you also...."hey, I wanted/needed that".

Kinda hard to make everyone happy.
But, I agree the policy could be modified a bit....Maybe a price range? Or a best offer deal, that can go down? $50.00 OBO?
Dunno, it's a hard policy to make work for buyers and sellers also.
I totally agree on the rest of the rules.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Why don't you just put something...I know it's ridiculous...but put something like...
"Valve cover gaskets. $5,000 or best offer". Code for "Make me an offer"?
I know...There is no need to stoop to that level, especially when there are alternative sites available to sell through.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:32 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtanner
sorry ken but you should know what you have and what you are willing to sell it for that simple. you are a business man right? its a new/good rule in my opinion.:usflag:
No I don't when it comes to some items. Example Drip rails. I have seen them go from $60 to no buyers on E-bay. :)

So make me any offer would be the best course of action. Not ask $60.00 and sit on them.

Same deal with new. I don't know anymore now-a-days. When you have to sell and make 5% profit because warehouses like Summit & Jegs sell 35% below prices set up by the manufacture.......... No I don't know what anything is worth.

I can give examples all day long. Cliff sold a RAIV carb for over $2500.00 on e-bay. Like I said The rules isn't condusive to making people want to post on here. By (buy, lol) the people..for the poeple. Remember that slogan?

Here's one. I guess trade isn't allowed either? No price is listed? See where we can go with this?

I'm not trying to remake the widget. Just feel that one rule isn't a fair rule in a public forum run FOR the People.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratman
I would hate to be " outbid ". Especially if I am the first one to agree to buy it.
You would think it might create some bad feelings toward "someone", if "someone" out bids you also...."hey, I wanted/needed that".

Kinda hard to make everyone happy.
But, I agree the policy could be modified a bit....Maybe a price range? Or a best offer deal, that can go down? $50.00 OBO?
Dunno, it's a hard policy to make work for buyers and sellers also.
I totally agree on the rest of the rules.
I agree to an extent, but it's the sellers forum, For Sale unless you put WTB.

The buyer or PY shouldn't put the burden on the seller and Force him to make a price on items in a current constantly changing market.
I always was under the impression it was.......... what the market can bear. Make offer is using the term ............ what the market can bear.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM
Suspended

I like the rule, and hate when there is no price, this isn't ebay.

Just my opinion as a buyer.

I see the same rule on many other(non-pontiac) sites.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Good point on "or Trade": I had lots of response when I offerd "for trade" for what I neeeded. and listed some stupid stuff that I neeeded.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I see your point Dude, I just think they are trying to stay away from a auction atmosphere.
People will get sore, for sure. Maybe even at you, if they don't get the part they want. Last second deals will get under someones skin.

Maybe the stuff, that you do know what it's worth sell it for a certain price with a OBO tag, and the others that you are not sure of, put on ebay to see what they are worth, or even ask here, I am constantly seeing "what's it worth" posts.
I guess, they are trying to make a friendly selling place, avoiding the stuff that upsets buyers/sellers. Remember when people would post a part for sale, then someone would post 2 lines under it for the same part, but cheaper, that used to p*ss off a bunch of guy's.

Old 03-28-2008, 09:48 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Your ad could look like this;

Drip rails, will sell to best offer but would like $1000. :D

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin." - Samuel Adams

Right and wrong doesn't need facts all the time.
-Lighthouseman ("lawyer")

Starnes Performance Automatics
www.Starnesperformance.com
Old 03-28-2008, 09:54 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone
I like the rule, and hate when there is no price, this isn't ebay.

Just my opinion as a buyer.

I see the same rule on many other(non-pontiac) sites.

Then you don't need the product or you would respond. And if you don't repond because of no price, then it's your loss that you might have to pay more elsewhere. Downside for the poster of the item?

Your right it isn't e-bay so why should I have to list a price. I"M THE SELLER.......... it's my loss if you don't want to take the time to respond. Who gets hurt? The buyer? Not hardly.

Question? Why should a Seller be forced to put a price on an item he doesn't really know the value of, why not let the buyers who post, PM or e-mail him determine the price.

The same rule is on how many sites? Very very few. It is not needed.

Orwell 1984. read the book. LOL.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by PONTIAC DUDE
Then you don't need the product or you would respond. And if you don't repond because of no price, then it's your loss that you might have to pay more elsewhere. Downside for the poster of the item?

Your right it isn't e-bay so why should I have to list a price. I"M THE SELLER.......... it's my loss if you don't want to take the time to respond. Who gets hurt? The buyer? Not hardly.

Question? Why should a Seller be forced to put a price on an item he doesn't really know the value of, why not let the buyers who post, PM or e-mail him determine the price.

The same rule is on how many sites? Very very few. It is not needed.

Orwell 1984. read the book. LOL.
Whatever, I know MANY sites with the same rule.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn if you don't even know how much you want for stuff YOU own :pound:

Take off the tin foil hat, it's not a conspiracy, it's just good solid sense.
If you can't see that, you never will.

Old 03-28-2008, 10:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rugratman

Maybe the stuff, that you do know what it's worth sell it for a certain price with a OBO tag, and the others that you are not sure of, put on ebay to see what they are worth, or even ask here, I am constantly seeing "what's it worth" posts.
I guess, they are trying to make a friendly selling place, avoiding the stuff that upsets buyers/sellers. Remember when people would post a part for sale, then someone would post 2 lines under it for the same part, but cheaper, that used to p*ss off a bunch of guy's.
So a seller gets pissed because someone else sells it cheaper. I have to deal with that every day.

People buying from Summit & Jegs rather then a Pontiac vendor offering the same items at close to the same price.

Like I stated. I'm not trying to change the world. Just ONE option I feel is unjust forcing a person to value his stuff just to make the moderators on PY happy.

Make offer is a price. Why should it not be considered?

Old 03-28-2008, 10:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1967Clone
Whatever, I know MANY sites with the same rule.

Sounds like you have a lot to learn if you don't even know how much you want for stuff YOU own :pound:

Take off the tin foil hat, it's not a conspiracy, it's just good solid sense.
If you can't see that, you never will.
I know what some items are worth, some I don't, but can't get new value a lot of times because of companies undermining the industry. I'm not in the used parts business per say. I retail and also work with people depending on the volume of parts they buy.

Trying to insult me does what for your ego? Boost it? LOL.

I'm done. Said what I have to and moving on. Not Forced to post here either, bwhahahahahahaha.
Gotta get back to work and will post my items for sale else where including a killer set of R96A's.

Have a great day. I will. :D

Old 03-28-2008, 10:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I have to agree with you on this one Ken. I have posted a few items on here for sale, wanting to let the PY members have first chance at them. Always listed a price + BO. I have NEVER sold anything on here, never even got an offer. I hate to put them on Ebay, but when I do, they sell for close to what I was asking. On my used parts, I'm not in it to make money, I just want to get the parts out of my way and get somewhere close to market value.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 03-28-2008, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Ken,cant go with you on this one,if a part is FOR SALE there should be a price,if its for auction,have Chris do another forum or put it on Ebay.I have bought parts from you and others on the board because if I need it or its a good deal I call and do the deal.JMHO,Tom