Ames Customer Satisfaction Forum Post a 'current' compliment, suggestion or issue with regard to an Ames service or product.

Old 04-15-2008, 11:07 AM
Senior Chief

[QUOTE=baron_]Pointless discussion - not reading any of it - maybe because I like the status quo.

If you are not reading any of it how do you know it is pointless?

Old 04-15-2008, 11:18 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

sorry, was just trying to add some brevity :)

and I meant pointless because it won't be changed, I imagine...not because P-Dude's opinion is pointless :)

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 04-15-2008, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by baron_
sorry, was just trying to add some brevity :)

and I meant pointless because it won't be changed, I imagine...not because P-Dude's opinion is pointless :)
I think you meant "levity" ....lol

Old 04-15-2008, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to baron_

true dat.

I won with 'levity' either way :)
<---mostly asleep in last week of school, ever

http://forums.performanceyears.com/f...d.php?t=618281
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eJ9KworCMRE
Old 04-30-2008, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to YVEYANT

I guess it goes both ways I will admit. When I am selling I don't really like the rule as some items I am not sure as to what to ask for and feel forced to post a price, so I can understand that. When I am buying however, I like the rule because I do want to see a price so there is no feeling me out or looking in my profile to see what I do for a living and the price goes up as a few have admitted to doing in the past. Others have said "Well this one wants it and offered me this if you beat his price you can have it"
I don't like that approach.
If I go in a store and there is no prices on the items I walk right out.
A double edge sword..

Ant
1967 Pontiac Tempest, GTO-Inspired

"What's so special about having Italian food cooked by a bunch of friggin Mexicans"
Paulie-
Rocky Balboa

"Your heart is free, have the courage to follow it"
Braveheart

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m...Wm0SlqN030.jpg
Old 04-19-2009, 09:56 AM

If you want to sell parts, sell them, You know what you have into them. Most breeze right by a no price listed ad or if not post endless "How Much" posts., If you want to auction them go to ebay or ebid its that simple.

Old 05-14-2009, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Most buyers want sellers to price things. eBay is for auctions, PY isn't. I hated trying to buy cars from guys who wouldn't price them. It seemed they were trying to squeeze every last dime out of the sale. Just price it.

Old 05-16-2009, 01:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

My attitude is, at swap meets and on the internet, is that if it's too much trouble to list a price, then it's too much trouble for me to ask...

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 05-19-2009, 02:53 AM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTOnly70 View Post
My attitude is, at swap meets and on the internet, is that if it's too much trouble to list a price, then it's too much trouble for me to ask...

Ehh..... yes and no. I'm on both sides here. One time at a car show some dude was asking "best offer" on a BBC. I figured he'd want stupid money for it so I lowballed him for the heck of it. Ended up being 200. GO FIGURE. Also had one guy try to sell me a set of stock 6X heads for "cheap". Then when I said 100 bucks he cursed me out and said these were RA heads and he "would let them go" for 2k. And they even had the Original VALVES!!! With the original RUST!!!! What a deal!!!!! What I'm saying is it can go either way on something like that.

More doors = more love!
Old 05-24-2009, 11:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Go over to the HAMB board and look at their rules. No on is supposed to reply to anything being offered for sale on the board. All communications have to go through pm's and they have to list a price. Doesnt seem like a big deal to me, price it for what you want for it. If its to high I'll give you a price, you take or leave it. I didnt know selling something was this tough. Why shoud the buyer have to tell the seller what a part is worth?????

think of selling parts like your a used car salemen. Give a price then go ask your boss if you can sell it for that. Sounds like there is more to the story than were hearing.

Jeff

Old 05-29-2009, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I like the rules as is...

Old 06-02-2009, 12:38 PM
Senior Chief

Default Why not a new section

How about a new Best Offer section.
  • One Post per part (or list of parts)
  • Post is Auto Deleted after 7 days, seller can view offer history with member names up to 10 days...
  • No Bumps Allowed
  • Like a "poll calculator", it could have a "bid tracker" with # offers and current BO amount with BO username (would save wasted offers/communication)

I see both sides of the argument, one side favors the buyer (posting price), one the seller (best offer). When the shoes on the other foot, your argument might change.

Posting, bumping, lowering, ratcheting down until you get a buyer is a pain in the butt.....

I think an additional section to the Forum would be cool, and if you don't like dealing one way or the other, don't go to that section.

Old 06-02-2009, 07:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't see any need for any complex bidding arrangement.
Think about it...You post a part, name a price..The offers (bids) will come automatically and the seller always has the option of accepting an offer he likes. It happens every day.
In other words, post the item, name the price. The rest will take care of itself.

Old 06-02-2009, 09:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdw_poncho View Post
Go over to the HAMB board and look at their rules. No on is supposed to reply to anything being offered for sale on the board. All communications have to go through pm's and they have to list a price. Doesnt seem like a big deal to me, price it for what you want for it. If its to high I'll give you a price, you take or leave it. I didnt know selling something was this tough. Why shoud the buyer have to tell the seller what a part is worth?????

think of selling parts like your a used car salemen. Give a price then go ask your boss if you can sell it for that. Sounds like there is more to the story than were hearing.

Jeff
I like it.....between the seller and (potential) buyer

Old 10-21-2009, 08:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree with Ken, all the other rules are fine but being forced to list a price is dumb. Make and offer should suffice. If someone wants what you have for sale they are going to contact you anyways, the price can be negotiated at that point.

Old 10-22-2009, 03:09 PM
Senior Chief

I like knowing what the seller wants for something. if there is no price on something I just keep moving bought a few things on here and never dickered on price. Made a few lessers offers on some as well, got some, didn't get others. If I wanted to shop/bid at E-bay I would go to that site and take my chances. I have always liked that there is a "price" on items here. it's the old how much do you want? I don't know...what will you give me for it!
I don't use the big box stores I remember going to Glendale Speed, Burbank speed, HO Racing when I was a kid in the 1970-1980's after the little guys are gone all you have is ebay and all that drama. Tell me what you want for something and then I can decide if I want to buy it or contact you.

1971 Grand Prix 462ci SD Performance 6x heads
1962 Catalina 389
1968 Firebird 400-455 I haven't decided

"If we ever forget that we're one nation under GOD, then we will be a nation gone under." - Ronald Reagan

Last edited by Jim Moshier; 10-22-2009 at 03:14 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 04:09 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonneville Joe View Post
I agree with Ken, all the other rules are fine but being forced to list a price is dumb. Make and offer should suffice. If someone wants what you have for sale they are going to contact you anyways, the price can be negotiated at that point.
Do you mean "Make AN offer?"

I pass on anything with no price, and it looks like many others do to.

Old 10-22-2009, 05:03 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Do some research. I see lots of posts w inquiries into value.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its a waste of time not to post a starting price, even if its a ballpark or a price with Offer, price/ OBO listed.

My experience has been (recently) that some think the days of 05/06 are back and parts are bringing crazy prices, which isnt the case (even for many rare parts).