Exhaust TECH Mufflers, Headers and Pipes Issues

Old 03-18-2017, 10:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Exhaust flange donut

Hi everyone. My RA/HO exhaust manifolds arrived along with what I thought was everything needed to install them. I couldn't find any of those exhaust manifold donuts with the order. I checked Ames and they don't list them in their catalog. I also checked ebay, Autozone, NAPA and Advance Auto; negative. Maybe they are called something different that's why I can't find them. I also ordered new exhaust pipes but it says nothing about these donuts coming with them. My exhaust manifolds are 2.25" so I'm assuming that is the size I will need when hopefully I find some. So my question is, where do you buy these things?? Thank you, Carmine.

Old 03-18-2017, 11:16 AM

Head pipes seal to manifolds directly. No 🍩 Required but eating one is optional

69 gto ,all#match,467,th400,3:55 Easton posi,resto completed may 2016. 427 hp/530tq. Stump puller with stock#62 , stock intake and qjet
Th400 gone. Tkx close ratio with .64 of
66 Pontiac Beaumont sport deluxe,BB 5sp tko 3:08 auburn 450hp 550 torque wife sold it
Old 03-18-2017, 12:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66beaumont View Post
Head pipes seal to manifolds directly. No �� Required but eating one is optional
Yeah, I've had a few of those in my lifetime. Still do, that's the problem LOL. I would have never thought that no exhaust donut was required. No wonder why I can't find them for my application. I just wonder how they seal without some exhaust leak?? Guess they do fine. Thank you for your response. Now I can quit tormenting myself trying to find something that isn't necessary or available, Carmine.

Old 03-18-2017, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The tapered seat on the manifold mates up with the flare on the pipe. The pressure from tightening the flange over the joint usually results in a leak free seal. If it makes you feel better, you could put a little exhaust sealant in the joint.

1979 Trans Am 400, 4-speed, 4 wheel disc.

View from the drivers seat racing down Atco Raceway- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GhYDMdOEC7A

Ride along in the other lane-http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIzgpLtF_uw
Old 03-18-2017, 07:09 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK. Great. Thank you, Carmine.

Old 03-20-2017, 11:25 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

This morning, I began removing the old beat up headers on my '71. I unbolted the collector and used a power saw and cut off the tubes as high up as I could get to. I got all the bolts out except 2. These are in the center on both sides. I can see them from below while on the lift, but I can't get to them. Put the car on the ground and I tried getting them from the top. I don't seem to be able to get a wrench on them. Has anyone else run into this problem with either taking them off or putting them on?? Somebody put them on so there has to be a way to do it. I don't know the brand header. I recall about 30 years ago, I put a set of headers on my '67. Quite a project. If I remember correctly, I think I unbolted the motor mounts on both sides and raised the motor some. Is this something I should consider doing now?? Any thoughts or suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Carmine.

Old 03-20-2017, 03:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You may have to modify (grind/bend) a box end wrench. I have several one-off wrenches for a specific application. Sacrifice a quality brand name wrench. A soft chinese wrench will only round off the bolt head.

Last edited by Blued and Painted; 03-20-2017 at 03:37 PM.
Old 03-20-2017, 05:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blued and Painted View Post
You may have to modify (grind/bend) a box end wrench. I have several one-off wrenches for a specific application. Sacrifice a quality brand name wrench. A soft chinese wrench will only round off the bolt head.
OK. Thank you. I will take that under advisement and might very well have to do it. I did a little more research on installing the RA/HO manifolds on a Pontiac, and couldn't find anything just for that purpose. I did find much info on installing after market headers. It appears that almost all the articles mentioned removing the motor mount bolts and raising the engine 2-4 inches. Since I have to do this in reverse by removing the after market headers first, I may very well have to raise the motor. It certainly would be easiest to craft a wrench to fit the 2 bolts, but I'm wondering if the engine still has to be raised to put the new manifolds on and would I need the added height to get the old ones off, Carmine.

Old 03-21-2017, 08:41 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well, had quite an interesting day. Previously, I had cut the old after market header tubes and removed all but three of the header bolts. These were in the center and end on both sides. Ridiculous to get to. Took off the front tires and went in through the area above the upper control arm. Fashioned a wrench to accommodate the bolts which broke my heart. This was an older SnapOn wrench that I ground down to fit. It was part of a an older tool collection I inherited from my deceased uncle. Anyway, got all of the bolts out of both headers. Previously, I had read on how to install headers and knew that I'd have to reverse the procedure for removal. What I previously read was everything that I was going to experience. The headers obviously wouldn't come out as they were. On the passenger side, I had to remove the oil filter and motor mount bolt. I also loosened the trans. cross member bolts. I raised the motor about 2-3 inches which gave clearance for removal of the header which was done. We then installed the new RA/HO exhaust manifold. Reinstalled the motor mount bolt. Went to the driver side and couldn't remove the header. Removed the motor mount bolt and raised the motor about 2-3 inches. Still not good. Hitting the starter. Removed the starter and the header came out. Installed the RA/HO manifold. Reinstalled the starter and motor mount bolt. That is pretty much where we left it. I'm waiting for new exhaust pipes to be dropped off. Overall, not a bad install at all. Certainly beats trying to get headers on. I did look at the exhaust manifold on the driver side. The collector is very, very close to the upper control arm. I see some possible grinding/tweaking in the future. Now, if I only remember to put a new filter on before starting the engine, I'll be in good shape, Carmine.