THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-17-2024, 01:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
J.C., you’d be better off purchasing freeze dried foods. They have a shelf life of up to 25 years verses the MREs 5 year shelf life. Just be careful how much you purchase at one time; ALL purchases of “survival foods” over $250 are automatically reported to FEMA. This is why we are seriously considering purchasing a freeze dryer for home use. It also makes the home preservation of food much simpler.
Thanks for heads up, have you done any homework on a preferred home use freeze dryer?

1963 Cat SD Clone (old school) streeter
1964 GTO post coupe, tripower, 4speed (build)
1965 GTO 389 tripower, 4 speed, driver
1966 GTO dragcar
1966 GTO Ragtop
1969 Tempest ET clone street/strip
1969 GTO Judge RA lll, auto
1969 GTO limelight Conv. 4speed go and show (sold)
1970 GP SSJ
1970 GTO barn find..TLB…390 horse?….yeh, 390
1972 GTO 455 HO, 4 speed, (build)
1973 Grand Safari wagon, 700hp stoplight sleeper
525ci DCI & 609ci LM V head builds
Old 03-17-2024, 02:16 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by hurryinhoosier62 View Post
J.C., you’d be better off purchasing freeze dried foods. They have a shelf life of up to 25 years verses the MREs 5 year shelf life.
That's good advice. I don't have any MREs and I've never tried one. But I have a lot of freeze dried food.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following User Says Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2024, 02:45 PM
Senior Chief

Definitely look into freeze dried foods, also look into "Pressure Canning" .
For some more information you may want to check into LetsTruck.com owned by Kevin & Lisa Rutherford. I have followed them for approx 15 years & have been Ketogenic for 12 years, because of their research & sharing of information!

The great thing about pressure canning is you can do any & all types of meats. After pressure canning them you do NOT have to refrigerate them & they last for many years.

On a comical note...Every time someone mentions MRE's I can't hep thinking of the movie Tremors II where Burt Gummer gives Earl & Grady some MRE's. He tells them they have everything you need including toilet paper. As they pull away in a truck from Burt, you hear Earl say..."These things taste like paper" Grady says..."That's because you are eating the toilet paper! LMAO!!!!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/

Bills' Auto Works Est 1983 & still going strong!

1955 Chevy Altered W.B. Gasser
1955 Nash Ambassador Custom Lemans
1957 Chieftan 2dr HT
1964 Grand Prix
1966 Catalina Conv. 421
1966 Ambassador DPL 2dr HT
1966 Ambassador Cust. 2 DR HT
1967 Marlin
1967 Toronado
1973 Nova Full Chassis Car
1992 Jag XJS Conv
1992 Jag XJS Coupe
2007 Cad XLR-V Supercharged Roadster
Old 03-18-2024, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by J.C.you View Post
Thanks for heads up, have you done any homework on a preferred home use freeze dryer?
Harvest Rite is the most common, but seem to require replacing the vacuum pump on a regular basis. I’m looking for a used commercial unit; they can handle more per load than the Harvest Rite machines.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
Old 03-18-2024, 08:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bills Auto Works View Post
Definitely look into freeze dried foods, also look into "Pressure Canning" .
For some more information you may want to check into LetsTruck.com owned by Kevin & Lisa Rutherford. I have followed them for approx 15 years & have been Ketogenic for 12 years, because of their research & sharing of information!

The great thing about pressure canning is you can do any & all types of meats. After pressure canning them you do NOT have to refrigerate them & they last for many years.

On a comical note...Every time someone mentions MRE's I can't hep thinking of the movie Tremors II where Burt Gummer gives Earl & Grady some MRE's. He tells them they have everything you need including toilet paper. As they pull away in a truck from Burt, you hear Earl say..."These things taste like paper" Grady says..."That's because you are eating the toilet paper! LMAO!!!!

God Bless
Bill
https://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/...closed.614419/
The only problem with pressure canning( do it every year) is the food is definitely time limited. Ball recommends that home canned food not be kept longer than eighteen (18) months maximum. I’ll push acid based foods to two years but no longer.

Dr. Thomas Sowell
The Following User Says Thank You to hurryinhoosier62 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2024, 08:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
That's good advice. I don't have any MREs and I've never tried one. But I have a lot of freeze dried food.
Just keep your purchases under $250…

Dr. Thomas Sowell