THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Watching sprint cars on TV is not the same as being at a live race where the coverage isn't edited. I'll watch and have been live at anything automotive, from 2 1/2 mile asphalt to 1/4 mile bullrings with IRL cars or stock cars, drag racing included, truck and tractor pulls, mud racing, monster trucks I love it all. My preference is Outlaw sprints on dirt or most anything on dirt. I watch plenty of NASCAR and comment on almost any thread on PY that includes NASCAR. I'm old enough to remember when in the early 60s Pontiac owned NASCAR so I've been around it and paid attention to it for along time.

"The I wish it was like it was in the old days" has been rehashed too many times and there are plenty of reasons why it ain't 1970 anymore. First Talladega race when the drivers boycotted the race and they put almost anyone with a stockcar on the track to fill the program the remaining 2 Daytona chargers were sandbagging so not to make the rest of the field look bad. In another race Richard Petty laps the whole field by 7 laps, man that's great racing too. As with anything else humans are involved in they remember the best things and forget the rest, same deal here. Plenty of bad things happened during NASCAR 60s, 70s, 80s too, your not remembering everything, selective memory.

I can tell you for a fact that at 200 MPH stockcars look pretty much the same in person so I could care less if they have decals for headlights or there is an actual hole there. Appreciate the talent holding the wheel not what the wheel looks like and you'll enjoy it more. Bash on.......................

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-20-2012, 10:49 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Agree to disagree here. Example: IMO - When watching a Pro Drag race you CAN tell a difference in ET down to the thousandth of a second with people in the stands commenting “that was a fast run!” before the read-outs for the run flash on the top-end. So tenths, hundredths, and thousands of a second perception and equal mph (aka: Speed) YOU CAN SEE speed and et IMO. Happens all of the time.

IMO: Oval Sprint Dirt, while quaint for a few laps, seemingly almost always turns into a cart-wheeling endo’s into the catch fence extravaganza. Kinser’s dominance made this interesting in the past. And even with Smoke @ Eldora, not something that I have watched on TV in recent years more than a couple times. And not a draw for me.

Heck, why not hang those goofy Sprint Car wings onto a modern COT and call it “Progress”. Now if Nascar and Sprint Cars raced in the rain like I’m driving in today (like Road Racing, Rally & F1) now THAT would certainly be something.

This thread has devolved into not just the old “Roundy Rounders vs. Drag Guys” but into a “Dirt Track vs. Paved Track”…”Do it in the Dirt” is better, etc.
If you like dirt, and small tracks more power to you. Obviously if you have invested Blood, Sweat, Tears and $ in a dirt project that’s YOUR Bag. Kudos to you, go for it

So, like the original topic of this thread: “When NASCAR Mattered” for me was the Hi Speed Super Speedways with “Stock Appearing” Production cars on pavement WAS when NASCAR mattered.

Old 03-20-2012, 10:57 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Instant replay?

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Old 03-21-2012, 07:53 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Agree to disagree here. Example: IMO - When watching a Pro Drag race you CAN tell a difference in ET down to the thousandth of a second with people in the stands commenting “that was a fast run!” before the read-outs for the run flash on the top-end. So tenths, hundredths, and thousands of a second perception and equal mph (aka: Speed) YOU CAN SEE speed and et IMO. Happens all of the time.
I call BS on this. If people could visually tell the ET down to the thousandth of a second, they wouldn't spend money on a timing system. They just call Alvin and ask what the ET was...

Quote:
IMO: Oval Sprint Dirt, while quaint for a few laps, seemingly almost always turns into a cart-wheeling endo’s into the catch fence extravaganza. Kinser’s dominance made this interesting in the past. And even with Smoke @ Eldora, not something that I have watched on TV in recent years more than a couple times. And not a draw for me.
You've been watching to many highlight reels focusing on the wrecks.

Sprints aren't my favorite form of racing, but I've seen them make 25 laps under green more than once. Get inside the track where I took those photos from and it's soooooo impressive.

This form of racing is best in person.

Quote:
Heck, why not hang those goofy Sprint Car wings onto a modern COT and call it “Progress”. Now if Nascar and Sprint Cars raced in the rain like I’m driving in today (like Road Racing, Rally & F1) now THAT would certainly be something.
Who wants to sit outside in the rain and watch racing? Maybe for some TV watchers it might be okay - but I find it boring watching sloppy racing.

Quote:
This thread has devolved into not just the old “Roundy Rounders vs. Drag Guys” but into a “Dirt Track vs. Paved Track”…”Do it in the Dirt” is better, etc.
If you like dirt, and small tracks more power to you. Obviously if you have invested Blood, Sweat, Tears and $ in a dirt project that’s YOUR Bag. Kudos to you, go for it
I'm a fan of both dirt and paved. Big fan of NASCAR going back to the 60's, which is the same length of time I've been a fan of dirt racing. Yes, I've helped build dirt cars - because that's what they race locally. If there were asphalt tracks nearby, I'd probably have personal experience with that too.

Quote:
So, like the original topic of this thread: “When NASCAR Mattered” for me was the Hi Speed Super Speedways with “Stock Appearing” Production cars on pavement WAS when NASCAR mattered.
Before I say my piece, I just want to repost Sirrotica's very accurate comment:

Quote:
I can tell you for a fact that at 200 MPH stockcars look pretty much the same in person so I could care less if they have decals for headlights or there is an actual hole there. Appreciate the talent holding the wheel not what the wheel looks like and you'll enjoy it more.
You like the Super Speedways. Fine.

My first live NASCAR race was the Daytona 500 in 1993, and Daytona will always have a soft spot for me because of that. But I haven't gone to Daytona since the mid 90's and only been to Talladega one time in 2006. Yet I've attended as many as 4 Cup races in one year since then.

I prefer Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte, Darlington, Martinsville and Richmond (listed in alphabetical order) to the Super Speedways. Went to the Brickyard - never do that again. Used to go to Michigan every year because it was the closest track, but haven't been since the early 2000's. Also have been to Homestead, Dover, Texas, Vegas, Phoenix and California

Old 03-21-2012, 10:13 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike nixon View Post
Much later and it's flat out boring.
And to this day it's still boring, especially with no Pontiacs. Why Toyota? They never have made a car that could be called a 'Stocker' for racing. But all of a sudden they're in NASCAR. That became the low point of racing. Next thing you know Nissan, Fiat, and the other foriegn crap will be on the NASCAR tracks.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 03-22-2012, 02:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT182 View Post
And to this day it's still boring, especially with no Pontiacs. Why Toyota? They never have made a car that could be called a 'Stocker' for racing. But all of a sudden they're in NASCAR. That became the low point of racing. Next thing you know Nissan, Fiat, and the other foriegn crap will be on the NASCAR tracks.
Ask DW and MWR about the toyotas that are in nascar, They were the ones that got them started in nascar.

Old 03-22-2012, 03:02 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
Rather than watch Sponsor-Car, this is my idea of a well spent Sunday afternoon.

Sweet ride man!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BigB For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2012, 03:53 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I call BS on this. If people could visually tell the ET down to the thousandth of a second, they wouldn't spend money on a timing system. They just call Alvin and ask what the ET was...

You've been watching to many highlight reels focusing on the wrecks.

Sprints aren't my favorite form of racing, but I've seen them make 25 laps under green more than once. Get inside the track where I took those photos from and it's soooooo impressive.

This form of racing is best in person.

Who wants to sit outside in the rain and watch racing? Maybe for some TV watchers it might be okay - but I find it boring watching sloppy racing.

I'm a fan of both dirt and paved. Big fan of NASCAR going back to the 60's, which is the same length of time I've been a fan of dirt racing. Yes, I've helped build dirt cars - because that's what they race locally. If there were asphalt tracks nearby, I'd probably have personal experience with that too.

Before I say my piece, I just want to repost Sirrotica's very accurate comment:

You like the Super Speedways. Fine.

My first live NASCAR race was the Daytona 500 in 1993, and Daytona will always have a soft spot for me because of that. But I haven't gone to Daytona since the mid 90's and only been to Talladega one time in 2006. Yet I've attended as many as 4 Cup races in one year since then.

I prefer Atlanta, Bristol, Charlotte, Darlington, Martinsville and Richmond (listed in alphabetical order) to the Super Speedways. Went to the Brickyard - never do that again. Used to go to Michigan every year because it was the closest track, but haven't been since the early 2000's. Also have been to Homestead, Dover, Texas, Vegas, Phoenix and California
Whatevs Claps! Go and Dirt it if that be your bagdad!

Old 03-23-2012, 04:01 AM
Suspended

Arrow Daytona was a beach race on sand and then KaPow!!! PAVEMENT in 1959 - WOW!!!

Quote:

So, like the original topic of this thread: “When NASCAR Mattered for me was the Hi Speed Super Speedways with “Stock Appearing” Production cars on pavement WAS when NASCAR mattered.

Old 03-23-2012, 07:02 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Whatevs Claps! Go and Dirt it if that be your bagdad!
If you read what you quoted, you would know that I enjoy paved racing too...

Heck, I even enjoy ice racing...

Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 PM
Suspended

Talking It's almost that time again!

Quote:

Old 02-14-2014, 03:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I love seeing old NASCAR footage on tv. The cars actually looked like cars. They had big bumpers, heavy steel bodies (By todays standards) and the people driving them were actually cool.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 03:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would love it if they started a vintage class based on stock cars from the 60s and 70s.

And go racin' in the street.

Bruce Springsteen - Racing In The Street - 1978
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to The Boss For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post
I would love it if they started a vintage class based on stock cars from the 60s and 70s.
HSR has a Vintage Stock car class, but they're mostly 80's and newer. The 60's-70's cars didn't get saved and sold off like they do now. The few that did are in collections and museums. You'd be better off building a replica anyway.

I was approached by a guy at VIR last October asking me about or OVR series and how it works, he's trying to start up a Vintage Stock car class for the older cars, original or replica.

The Following User Says Thank You to ho428 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 04:02 PM
Suspended

Wink Pick a color!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Boss View Post

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 04:04 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by ho428 View Post
HSR has a Vintage Stock car class, but they're mostly 80's and newer. The 60's-70's cars didn't get saved and sold off like they do now. The few that did are in collections and museums. You'd be better off building a replica anyway.

I was approached by a guy at VIR last October asking me about or OVR series and how it works, he's trying to start up a Vintage Stock car class for the older cars, original or replica.
What would be your WAG as to how many replica Pontiacs would have LS or Chevy motors vs Pontiacs?

Old 02-14-2014, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Id love to build another car....Probably the Tyner GTO or another 69 GP. Clone would be good for racing since you're not crunching history if you wreck. Got two good bodies to do either one!

I'd build a Pontiac engine....since I'm a die hard...and not a competition driver. If you want to go fast, then LS1...

Would love to do a vintage series in the east. I could parade the real car and wreck the clone!

Old 02-14-2014, 04:32 PM
Suspended

Yours?

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2014, 04:42 PM
Suspended

The NASCAR interesting and nicer now the when they actually raced like this restored H.B.Bailey Grand Am race Bird

http://www.legendsofnascar.com/HB_Bailey.htm

Old 02-14-2014, 05:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'd love to clone a GP 2+2 '86

Closed Thread