THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:21 PM
formerly Steved400

Send a message via Yahoo to Steve Hoog
Default On 20/20 Tonight, Kids and Guns

I do not know the angle to which the show will go, but I will be watching.

This is a subject me and my brother have discussed extensively; he is polar opposite than me and worried he is wrong.

http://abcnews.go.com/US/parents-arg...ry?id=22317419

All of my kids started shooting at 2 to 3 years old; with heavy supervision of course. Below Michael can load, chamber, and hit the target at 7 years old. As could his brother, sister, uncle, mom, and dad.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15s.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	71.1 KB
ID:	351430  

Old 01-31-2014, 08:33 PM
Suspended

Thanks for the heads up. I work around a lot of hunters with kids. Their kids all handle and/or own rifles of some kind. And that isn't a bad thing.

Old 01-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Subscribed

Thomas Jefferson
Old 01-31-2014, 09:13 PM
Suspended

Why bother? The teaser trailer earlier indicates it will be a typical biased & slanted POV shock and horror regarding the main topic and the parental units. Previously had it on record for DVR, but MEH, why waste the time...removed record.

So, please tell me here Steve if anything positive about proper gun training is "reported?"

I'd be very suspect as to the Executive Producers and funding of this show. If you record it, I'd suggest you rewind and research those and others involved such as the writers, editors, etc.

The Following User Says Thank You to Alvin For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 10:54 PM

you know how they're going to twist it but it might be worth watching

original ca car
The Following User Says Thank You to 65blackplate For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 65blackplate View Post
you know how they're going to twist it but it might be worth watching

x2

Plus, every gun thats not a pistol will be called an assault rifle

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
The Following User Says Thank You to 72projectbird For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You have to watch, mainly to see where the "plan" may be heading with any kind of slant/anti message.

They leave a lot of clues like Weinst. spilling the beans on the Stern Show.

The Following User Says Thank You to JLHarper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2014, 11:25 PM
formerly Steved400

1. Gun Safe: Check

2 Education: Check

Murder stats from FBI, more are murdered by hammers than assault rifles.

http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr...e-data-table-8

Half way through the show, not too bad so far.

Old 02-01-2014, 12:05 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLHarper View Post
You have to watch, mainly to see where the "plan" may be heading with any kind of slant/anti message.

They leave a lot of clues like Weinst. spilling the beans on the Stern Show.
There's a reason they ended the show in New Jersey where any gun in the hands of citizens is evil. They're going to go for the Australian model of locking your unarmed gun away. The trooper going along with the fraud that you can open and respond to a home invasion easily in 7 seconds should lose his right was as believable as Beiber's street creds. That safe he was using is all over Youtube being opened. I'm pretty sure kids know how to use the internet to search how to open a cheap container. They aren't "safes".

Old 02-01-2014, 12:20 AM
formerly Steved400

It is a thin line between young kids and locking you guns away giving up your advantage to intrusion. Because after all must of us have guns to protect our family.

I have been very diligent in locking up my guns; what a tragedy I could never over come if a single one of my children shot themselves because of negligence on my part.

And I could never forgive myself if anyone in my house died from intrusion because my guns were all locked up and I couldn't get to them in time.

It's a horrible dilemma.

My 500A stays right by my head as I sleep; I only lock it up if I am not home, everything else stays locked until target shooting time. I can only pray that my kids take to heart the advice that my step dad gave me when I was 8 and he handed me my first rifle a .22 Marlin.

"Son never ever point that gun at anyone at anytime, always keep it pointed to the ground until you intend to shoot" and he referred to either a target or game.

Old 02-01-2014, 08:23 AM

I grew up in a house where guns were readily accessible. We were taught to respect them at all times. If we were caugth even thinking of playing with them, severe punishment would have ensued -my father would never allow us to go hunting again. This was drilled into our heads at a very young age. We also were responsible for keeping any visitors from even touching them. I know it is a very different world. If I had young people in the house, I'd probably keep mine locked up. Most Kids these days do not have the ability to control themselves.

The Following User Says Thank You to Cerberus For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 08:49 AM
formerly Steved400

I just had a serious talk with my brother the day before this aired; we were both taught very early.

He shelters his kids from guns; but leaves hand guns out just like shown in the 20/20 for home protection. I teach mine to shoot and respect early but keep all my guns locked except my 500A when I am here to watch over it; else it is locked as well.

Then this show came on; there is a message in this for me and or my brother. Last night we talked and I begged him to get those little button safes for his hand guns.

Old 02-01-2014, 09:23 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I didn't watch this episode, but I've seen the exact same show format repeated several times over the years. Random thoughts:

As a responsible gun owner, I don't have a gun out of the safe and loaded unless I have direct control over it.

How many clips of kids (avoiding the planted guns) ended up on the cutting room floor before they got the handful that did scary things?

The mainstream media is notorious for creating sensationalism. Recall the Chevy side-saddle gas tank show. When they (NBC) couldn't make a truck blow up on impact, they rigged an ignitor to the gas tank and Kablooie!

JMHO,
Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elarson For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2014, 09:59 AM
Suspended

Thanks for the reminder of that exploding truck show and the yellow journalism.

As an aside my friend from high school was about 10-11 standing in front of a mirror combing his hair as his older sister was cleaning the house, dusting things on a shelf off. She picked up the loaded shotgun and dragged the cloth across it and it went off severing his arm and just grazing his chest, putting a permanent scar across it.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Clearly a part of the twenty three (23) Executive Orders from 2013 / CDC study on safety in the home, one of the many facets of "the big plan".

Been to the Doctors office lately with a minor?

Once the "data" is studied, recommendations can be made, expect the "action" to be before term ends.

The executive orders also direct the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention to begin research into gun violence, which administration officials and gun control groups say will help make the case for new gun safety regulations...............................there was little available data about the reasons for gun violence, buying patterns and other gun-related public health issues.

Old 02-01-2014, 11:22 AM
Suspended

The government agencies tabulate "child" gun deaths for people up to age 25 or 26, obviously to make it sound like adult gang bangers are 10 yr old children.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:12 PM
Senior Chief

I agree that we only saw what they wanted us to see. Don't trust the news to get the actual news.

I say this subject is squarely on the parents. Kids MUST be educated on how to properly handle a weapon. Hiding and keeping it a secret is asking for trouble. I know from 1st hand experience. When I was little, my brother and I used to play Starsky & Hutch with my dad's S/W .357 and .22 replica (looked like a Colt .45). We knew exactly where his gun cases were hidden in the back of his closet. We knew exactly where his ammo was hidden in his sock drawer. When we were home alone, we ran around the house with 2 loaded handguns pointing and making "shooting" sounds at each other. There was never an accident. Why, I don't know. It had to be a miracle. Dad liked to hunt and target shoot. He only took us with him on rare occasions. He never gave us any lessons of any kind. He simply loaded the gun and handed it to us and told us to shoot the target. Teaching your kids how to handle a gun and be responsible with it is a good thing. Anyone that hides a gun and assumes they won't be found is asking for the worst to happen. And if your kids can't be trusted around guns, then its time to make a decision on whats more important.

Old 02-01-2014, 01:14 PM
formerly Steved400

Excellent post Icefan!

Old 02-01-2014, 01:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Heres something that made me lol

On the news the other day they had a "safety expert" on, talking about guns. He told everyone that there should never be guns in a house that also has kids in it, BUT, if you must have one it should be unloaded and locked in a safe, with the ammo and magazines located in another locked safe.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 02-01-2014, 01:19 PM
Suspended

I knew where the rifles and shotguns were in our house. But the ammo was never to be found. I never went through their bedroom stuff but I'm sure there was a loaded pistol around.