Old 11-09-2010, 09:44 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default I can't find TA radials !!!!!

I need a pair of 235/60/15's BFGoodrich TA radials for the GTO and can't find them anywhere. Summit, Jegs, local shops all tell me they are on national backorder until at least January. I also checked out as many on-line discount tire houses I could fine and nadda. Any thoughts ? thanks

Old 11-09-2010, 09:54 AM
Suspended

I just had the same problem finding a pair of tires for my pickup. Bridgestone REVO II 10 ply were all over the place a few months ago and then a month ago, none could be found. I did locate leftovers on the TireRack at a warehouse in New Castle DE. and grabbed them up.

Old 11-09-2010, 09:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I ran into that a few years ago when I needed some 255/60-15's. I finally ordered them from TireRack and waited. If you have to have TA's that'll be your best bet. I think next time I'm going to look into some Firestones.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:04 AM

I had the same problem a couple months ago trying to find some 255-60-15s for my T/A. It was a headache. I wound up finding some Firestone Firehawks and had them put on. I was tod that the 15" range is getting hard to find anyway because all of the newer cars have larger wheels. They just don't use 15" tires like they used too.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Have heard that they are only running the Radial T/A's 3 to 4 times a year. When supply is gone you have to wait 3-4 months for the next run. This has been the case for atleast the last 4 years with BFG. I purchased the Mickey Thompson Sportsman S/Ts last time. They are a fairly new tire which is competition for the Radial T/A. I have been happy with mine so far. Running Black walls out as I still don't care for any white letter design as much as wither the Radial T/A, Wide Ovals, or Good Year Polyglas. JMO.

http://www.summitracing.com/search/B.../?autoview=SKU

Old 11-09-2010, 10:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

have you checked Discount Tire?

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 11-09-2010, 10:50 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I shopped for weeks for some BFGs finally settled for Firehawks and am happy with my choice. I think they look nostalgic!

Shawn

"Don't let fatigue make a coward of you."
Old 11-09-2010, 03:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

FWIW - I'm partial to Goodyear, and the Goodyear store we deal with had me a pair of 255/60R15 Eagle GT II's the next day. Production date was just a month old, too.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Senior Chief

I've never understood the attraction to TA radials, they seem to be a very hard tire. Not what you want on a "performance" oriented car. There are a ton of softer better gripping tires out there, broaden your horizons.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I've never understood the attraction to TA radials, they seem to be a very hard tire. Not what you want on a "performance" oriented car. There are a ton of softer better gripping tires out there, broaden your horizons.
Appeal to me is a classic look in a radial tire. They are timeless in my opinion.

...and provide a significantly good smoke show in a good burnout. You can usually count me in for a set of back tires every summer on each car I drive regularly. When I sold my Lemans vert, the fronts still had the wear nubs and it was on the 4th set of rears. All about personal preference I guess.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:39 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by klunker View Post
I suspect that most of the people that purchase Radial T/A's, buy them because of the LOOK. Not many people out slaloming their old iron. Somebody interested in furthering the performance of their old car probably isn't running 14 or 15" tires anyway. The horizon isn't very broad in T/A sized, white letter tires.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Amazing people care about the look vs the performance. Firestones and Goodyears are light years better. BFG hasn't put a lick of technology in those tires in 25 years.

Old 11-09-2010, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
Amazing people care about the look vs the performance. Firestones and Goodyears are light years better. BFG hasn't put a lick of technology in those tires in 25 years.
So the technology in them is somewhat newer than the cars they are going on?

Old 11-09-2010, 04:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

BFG Radials have been on national backorder for at least 6-months. The rumor mill is speculating that BFG is shifting production to some 3rd world country.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
So the technology in them is somewhat newer than the cars they are going on?
I'd say it's about the same..poor at best. If you don't care about performance buy repop Polyglass GT's or redlines...they look a 100X better than the BFG's.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hmmmmm...take a look at TireRack.com for BFG Radial T/A Reviews. Over 16 million miles logged by hundreds and hundreds of buyers, and they rank the Radial T/A 3rd (top 15%) in the category. For the price, they're the best tires in the world.

Goodyears are the most overrated tires in the world. I've had dozens of sets of Goodyears (all GM cars) on my new cars, and they suck. They wear like sponge rubber donuts, and they're twice the price of other tires.

I know someone that claims BFG's 'blow up' or 'fly apart' on daily drivers, and the only thing they're good for are show cars and old cars that are rarely driven. But I guess he's a little ticked off because he bought Pep Boys tires for his old Pontiac and didn't know BFG was making Radial T/A's again. When he found out, he went on a personal campaign to tell everyone BFG's will explode and tear your fender off. I guess it's a case of sour grapes.

I would think if ANYONE had a problem with BFG's, they would have reported it to TireRack at some point during those 16 million miles that people have racked up.

Best tires for the price, bar none.

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 11-09-2010, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_GTO View Post
I'd say it's about the same..poor at best. If you don't care about performance buy repop Polyglass GT's or redlines...they look a 100X better than the BFG's.
I'm sure you have a link that proves your opinion. What do you use on your frequently driven old Pontiac...oh wait....you don't have one.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeNoun View Post
Hmmmmm...take a look at TireRack.com for BFG Radial T/A Reviews. Over 16 million miles logged by hundreds and hundreds of buyers, and they rank the Radial T/A 3rd (top 15%) in the category. For the price, they're the best tires in the world.

Goodyears are the most overrated tires in the world. I've had dozens of sets of Goodyears (all GM cars) on my new cars, and they suck. They wear like sponge rubber donuts, and they're twice the price of other tires.

I know someone that claims BFG's 'blow up' or 'fly apart' on daily drivers, and the only thing they're good for are show cars and old cars that are rarely driven. But I guess he's a little ticked off because he bought Pep Boys tires for his old Pontiac and didn't know BFG was making Radial T/A's again. When he found out, he went on a personal campaign to tell everyone BFG's will explode and tear your fender off. I guess it's a case of sour grapes.

I would think if ANYONE had a problem with BFG's, they would have reported it to TireRack at some point during those 16 million miles that people have racked up.

Best tires for the price, bar none.
They rank 3rd....nuff said.

I had some on my '66 back in the early 90's....they were awful in my opinion compared to what I drive on now.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
I'm sure you have a link that proves your opinion. What do you use on your frequently driven old Pontiac...oh wait....you don't have one.
Mike pointed it out for me.. They rank 3rd.

Who said these tires are going on a frequently driven car?

Go put Firestones on your car and let me know the difference.

Old 11-09-2010, 04:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Are these worth considering ?

http://www.mickeythompsontires.com/s...em=SportsmanST