Old 07-29-2021, 09:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 1964 Tripower GTO

Thoughts? I think they are stretching the "unrestored" term, but interesting car nonetheless.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/28438713355...AAAOSw7t9hAElN

Old 07-29-2021, 11:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks very nice. Rare 4 bbl build with the 3.90 metallic brake option which made the HD Fan and HD Rad mandatory.

Whitewall Tire Over-Ride and Deluxe Wheel Discs now sporting Red Lines and Custom Wheel Discs.

BIN is at the high end of valuation IMO but compared to the bids on the Hardtop from Lincoln, looks like an extreme bargain.

The Window Sticker looks suspicious.

WSW were a no-charge alternate to the Red Lines on the GTO. Why are the WSW Tires listed as an option at $47.34?

And no matter what PHS claims, the Code 9 4 spd trans in '64 was a wide ratio Muncie. The only difference between it and the Code W wide ratio was the speedo drive gear installed on the mainshaft. The Code 9 had the 6 tooth drive gear for speedo accuracy when the 3.90 axle was installed.

As any serious '64 GTO nut should know, the only way you could get the close ratio M21 in '64 or '65 was with the Tripower. And in '64, the M21 wasn't even available until April. A ton of 3.90 geared '64 GTOs got the Code 9 wide ratio. Almost none got the late arriving Code 8 close ratio which also required the 3.90 axle along with the Tripower option.

Yeah, it's a pet peeve of mine that PHS continues to get that detail wrong after all these years.

Old 07-29-2021, 11:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

W hat gear ratio came with 1964 GTO Tri power with Automatic trans ? Thanks

Old 07-30-2021, 09:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by John V. View Post
The Window Sticker looks suspicious.
I was thinking the same thing. The patina on it also looks faked.

Not a huge deal, but the tachometer isn't listed on the options list so was apparently added later.

Last edited by Rich-Tripower; 07-30-2021 at 10:00 AM.
Old 07-30-2021, 10:38 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Question ratio

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post

Old 07-30-2021, 03:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't like the way the VIN plate looks. It's rusty underneath and has some red overspray on it.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:57 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Nothing "unrestored" about the under-carriage.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 07-30-2021, 05:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Man Taylor View Post
I don't like the way the VIN plate looks. It's rusty underneath and has some red overspray on it.
And if you look closely at the edges of the rusty section near the VIN plate, it has what appears to be scratches from a sanding disc?

Other questions/observations I have which the '64 experts may know more about are:

1) Did '64s have the speckle paint in the trunks like later years? The trunk interior of this car is painted body color.

2) Looks like numerous interior items have been restored/replaced to my eye. Front seat covers and carpet in particular.

3) Underside of body looks too fresh to be the original finish.

4) Is the texture of the glovebox and dash paint how they left the factory? Looks rougher than my '66s original dash paint.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild

Last edited by ZeGermanHam; 07-30-2021 at 05:18 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'64's had body color paint inside the trunk. No spatter paint until '65 on these cars. I agree car has had work done all over the place. Still a nice car. Sitting too high in the rear, so springs have been changed.
If you look closely at the driver's side rear quarter panel inside the trunk it looks like extensive hammer and dolly body work was done to repair accident damage.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
'64's had body color paint inside the trunk. No spatter paint until '65 on these cars.
Good to know, thanks!

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-30-2021, 06:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Early '65's, at least in some plants, also had body colored trunk paint.

2015 Challenger R/T Plus, hemi, Sublime
Old 07-30-2021, 09:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUSLCAH View Post
PMD announced a revision for the standard Axle Ratio for the '64 Tripower GTO, the change was effective with production starting January 27, 1964 at which point the 3.23 axle ratio became standard.

That doesn't tell the whole story. The Tempest Axle Charts were fairly complicated since the standard axle ratio could be affected by several option selections.

But since you only asked about the Tripower GTO with Auto Trans, I will focus on that application.

From January 27 on, the 3.23 axle was the standard release with standard brakes except when the auto trans Tripower GTO was optioned with A/C but NOT with either of the two Trailering options.

For such a build, the standard release (from Jan 27) was the 3.08 axle with standard brakes.

To be clear, the Tripower GTO with Auto Trans (from Jan 27) when optioned with EITHER of the two Trailering options WITH or WITHOUT A/C, got the 3.23 axle with standard brakes as the standard release.

For each of these combinations, you could special order the 3.08 axle with standard brakes. Since the 3.08 was standard for the A/C WITHOUT either Trailering option, obviously you couldn't special order in that case.

You could special order the 3.36 axle with standard brakes for all combinations but NOT with A/C.

And you could also special order the 3.55 axle with standard brakes for any of these combinations except you could NOT order the 3.55 with A/C.

Although the 3.90 axle with standard brakes was produced you could NOT order it for any GTO.

The combinations with Metallic brakes were the same but with one exception since you could not get the 3.08 axle with Metallic brakes.

The 3.23 axle with Metallic brakes was the standard release from Jan 27 for the Tripower GTO with Auto Trans WITH or WITHOUT both Trailering options and WITHOUT A/C.

The 3.23 axle with Metallic brakes was the standard release from Jan 27 for the Tripower GTO with Auto Trans WITH either Trailering options and WITH A/C.

According to the Axle Chart, you could NOT order Metallic Brakes with A/C UNLESS you also ordered one of the two Trailering options. This would seem to have been due to the fact PMD didn't produce a 3.08 axle with Metallic brakes.

Same as for the standard brake special order axles, you could specify the 3.36, 3.55, or 3.90 axle for any Tripower GTO with Auto Trans except you could not specify any of these choices with A/C.

PMD claimed the change to the 3.23 axle in '64 for the Tripower was "to further satisfy performance and fuel economy requirements".

This never made sense to me. The 3.55 was largely satisfying the performance desires of Tripower GTO buyers and quite a few were specifying the 3.90 axle.

But this is what PMD announced, make of it what you will.

Prior to January 27, the 3.55 axle was the standard release with standard brakes except when the auto trans Tripower GTO was optioned with A/C but NOT with either of the two Trailering options.

For such a build, the standard release (prior to Jan 27) was the 3.08 axle with standard brakes. Note, this standard release was the same as indicated for this combination from Jan 27 on, so was not changed.

However, prior to Jan 27, there was no standard release indicated for a Tripower GTO with Auto Trans with either Trailering option AND A/C. This combination could be had with the 3 spd or 4 spd Man Trans (3.23 axle). I believe this was an oversight because the special order chart shows this combination could be had with the 3.23 axle as a special order. There would be no reason to allow a special order axle but not a standard release. I doubt they would have allowed the 3.55 with any A/C combination so perhaps the 3.23 should have been listed as the standard release with no special order axle indicated for this combination. But no way for me to be sure.

WITH or WITHOUT either Trailering option and WITHOUT A/C, the standard release was the 3.55 axle. You could special order the 3.23.

You could also special order the 3.36 axle with standard brakes for any of these combinations INCLUDING with A/C with or without either Trailering option.

The 3.55 axle with standard brakes could NOT be special ordered for any Tripower GTO combination (since it was the standard release for most).

Although the 3.90 axle with standard brakes was produced you could NOT order it for any GTO.

The combinations with Metallic brakes were the same but with one exception since you could not get the 3.08 axle with Metallic brakes.

The 3.55 axle with Metallic brakes was the standard release prior to Jan 27 for the Tripower GTO with Auto Trans WITH or WITHOUT both Trailering options and WITHOUT A/C.

The 3.23 axle with Metallic brakes was available for any Tripower GTO with Auto Trans combination as a special order prior to Jan 27. Again, there was no standard release WITH A/C, so the 3.23 axle with Metallic brakes was apparently the standard release despite being listed as a special order.

You could also special order the 3.90 axle with Metallic brakes (they were mandatory with the 3.90 on the GTO). A/C was not offered with the 3.90.

I have tried to be thorough here and hopefully I have not listed anything incorrectly.

If you see anything that appears incorrect, just ask and I will be happy to recheck the Axle Charts.

Old 07-30-2021, 09:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks ! John .

Old 07-31-2021, 12:47 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Steering Shock

The brackets are there for the steering shock absorber.

Old 07-31-2021, 12:14 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceaceca View Post
The brackets are there for the steering shock absorber.
Were those for the quick ratio steering? Part of the Y96 handling kit? Our car has the quick steering ratio manual box and that shock absorber thing. Though, again, this option isn't showing on this car's questionable window sticker.

Old 07-31-2021, 01:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think the steering shock was standard on all GTO's.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Not used with the Power Steering option.

We've discussed the Manual Steering Dampener a couple times on this forum. To my knowledge, never anything conclusive about why some GTOs (and other Tempests) got it while others didn't. It does not seem connected to the '64 Rally Handling Kit (that included the Quick Ratio Manual Steering Box) as builds like OMTs base content Manual Steering Box included it.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=778519

And here's the earlier thread.

https://forums.maxperformanceinc.com...d.php?t=528682

Not enough data was collected to determine if it was a mid year running change or perhaps depended on the Assembly Plant or if some other factor played into it.

Old 08-03-2021, 10:21 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Auction ended without a sale.