WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 1993-02 Firebird/Trans Am Owners > 93-02 Wheels/Tires

93-02 Wheels/Tires What setup is on your Bird?

Old 09-29-2008, 09:37 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 3rd Gen WS6 Wheels

I was not sure where to post this but though here was as good as any.....

I found 4 WS6 rims with tires like the ones on the car below and I was wondering what a good price for these would be!?

I was thinking about picking them up but thought I would ask first to see if I was getting a deal or not.

Thanks!

Old 09-29-2008, 11:41 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Just to clarify....these are the GTA wheels. Someone mentioned that they seen them go from 400-1000 on ebay with good rubber.

Anyone else have an opinion?
Old 09-29-2008, 04:29 PM
Senior Chief

Bare wheels with caps should be in the $400 to $600 range depending on the condition. Refurbished wheels will get you close to $1000. Just add the price of the tires on top of this (tirerack.com). Shipping wheels with tires on them can get real expensive.

By the way, there are front and rear wheels on the GTA, the fronts are the most desirable as they have a 0 offset. Make sure you are not getting 4 rear wheels, that will bring down the costs alot. A set of 4 fronts will drive the costs up.
Old 09-30-2008, 09:04 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbody_mike View Post
Bare wheels with caps should be in the $400 to $600 range depending on the condition. Refurbished wheels will get you close to $1000. Just add the price of the tires on top of this (tirerack.com). Shipping wheels with tires on them can get real expensive.

By the way, there are front and rear wheels on the GTA, the fronts are the most desirable as they have a 0 offset. Make sure you are not getting 4 rear wheels, that will bring down the costs alot. A set of 4 fronts will drive the costs up.
Hi Mike;

Thanks for the advice. Can I tell by looking at them if they are fronts or back or do I have to measure the offset?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:39 AM
Senior Chief

Yes, they should be marked on the wheels if they are front or backs. You can also measure if the markings are gone are too hard to find. The backs should have a 16 mm offset. Once you actually see them you can tell by just looking. Oh and just to make sure we are on the same page, these are 16 inch wheels right? There was alot of aftermarket wheels that are very similar and come in all sizes and offsets.
Old 09-30-2008, 10:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Yes, they should be marked on the wheels if they are front or backs. You can also measure if the markings are gone are too hard to find. The backs should have a 16 mm offset. Once you actually see them you can tell by just looking. Oh and just to make sure we are on the same page, these are 16 inch wheels right? There was alot of aftermarket wheels that are very similar and come in all sizes and offsets.
They should be marked? You mean they should say FRONT or BACK on them? They are the 16 inchers too. They even have center caps but two have WS6 on them and two have the bird emblem.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 79TA455 View Post
They should be marked? You mean they should say FRONT or BACK on them? They are the 16 inchers too. They even have center caps but two have WS6 on them and two have the bird emblem.
Nevermind....I found out that they actually say FRONT or BACK on both the front and the back of the rim.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:36 PM
Senior Chief

Good deal. Are you going to put these on a 2nd Gen Firebird?
Old 09-30-2008, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Wow, those prices are high. For a set of those wheels in clean, stock condition, I'd expect to pay about $400.

I sold a set in driver quality condition for $300 about a year ago.
Old 10-01-2008, 09:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Good deal. Are you going to put these on a 2nd Gen Firebird?
I'm going back on Saturday to inquire about a price. I'm hoping to get them for $200 - $300, otherwise I may bail.
Old 10-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I usually see sets for around $300-400 but have seen them for as little as $100.
Old 10-06-2008, 12:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Ok, so I picked them up with the center caps, lug nuts and 2 good tires on Saturday. There are two fronts and two rears. I would have to say that these are good driver quality rims, but the chroms is oxidizing or something from the weather and from the wheel weights that have been on them in the past. Here are some pics.

Any idea what I could get for these with the center caps, lug nuts and tires?
Old 10-07-2008, 12:41 PM
Senior Chief

My corporate filter does not let me view the picture, but what you see oxidizing is probably the factory coating on the outside part of the wheel. My set had the same problem and I sanded the non-mesh part of the wheels down by wet sanding with 380 then 600 grit. I probably spent 2-3 hours per wheel and lots of beer. After the wet sanding I polished them by hand until they had a decent shine, almost a nickel finish, I did not want a fully reflective chrome look or I probably would have used buffing wheel.

The sanding also helped remove some curb rash and other small scratches.

You can also try using rubbing compound like you would on some old paint, then wax the wheels, it make come out decent.
Old 10-07-2008, 01:40 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
My corporate filter does not let me view the picture, but what you see oxidizing is probably the factory coating on the outside part of the wheel. My set had the same problem and I sanded the non-mesh part of the wheels down by wet sanding with 380 then 600 grit. I probably spent 2-3 hours per wheel and lots of beer. After the wet sanding I polished them by hand until they had a decent shine, almost a nickel finish, I did not want a fully reflective chrome look or I probably would have used buffing wheel.

The sanding also helped remove some curb rash and other small scratches.

You can also try using rubbing compound like you would on some old paint, then wax the wheels, it make come out decent.
Hey Mike, thanks for that. I currently have them up for sale; just testing the waters so if they don't sell in the time frame I have them up for, I will wait, clean them up next year and try again or may even test these on my 2nd Gen. I beleive I have seen pictures of these on a 2nd Gen. before but cannot seem to recall where. I guess I will search the 'net.
Old 10-14-2013, 12:33 PM
Senior Chief

I can't see pics either but 100-300 is a decent price for them.
You can get these wheels new (repos) fairly cheap from another vendor. It's the same company/supplier that made them for GM.