Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-22-2021, 08:57 AM

Default Soooo... How hard is it to do a 4 speed swap on a '66?

Like the title says, I'm considering a 4 speed swap. I know the buckets and center console are likely unobtanium, and I'm fine with keeping the bench seat and running a simple floor shifter. with that said...

It appears that there was a longer version of the Muncie for large Pontiacs with a tailshaft P/N of 9779246. It looks like I need to find that specific transmission, but wanted to double check with the experts. Is that correct?

Also, is there anything different functionally about an earlier or later version of the Muncie? Does it make a difference if the transmission is from a 64, 66, or even a 68? I know there were improvements made to the transmission over its life and a later one is likely better, but if I find an earlier one will it still fit?

Also, what about pedals and linkage? Is there B body specific stuff that is unobtanium, or is it the same stuff as an A body? Can I use parts marketed for the GTO?

What about the shifter? Is there anything special about it, or should a shifter marketed for a bench seat Impala do the job?

I'm hoping to get an idea of how tough the parts will be to source before I buy anything. If its going to be difficult to impossible to find the parts I'll just deal with the TH400 for now.

I did try the search function before asking, but I didn't find the answers I was after.

Thanks!