Old 05-08-2021, 12:14 AM

Default Newbie here... 63 Lemans

First of all let me introduce myself. I live in Alaska. Im Kato. I am addicted to gm cars and finally on my quest for parts found this place.

So, the lowdown is that I went over to a friends house to look at a 70 chevy truck to try and help him get it back on the road and sell it and stumbled on a 1963 Lemans in bronze. I gorgeous car. I fell in love instantly.

After looking the car over I decided to make a deal. It was a pretty good deal for me but I need some help as I have hit a couple of roadblocks. It has the 195 4cylinger with the 4bbl. The car is 95% complete but as usual non running and surprisingly enough for having sat for 30 years is not locked up and a full roller.

So what is missing is the front bumper, air cleaner, one fender emblem, both headlight bezels, and...... Most of the inside of the distributor. That is where my problem lies... Can't seem to find any parts for the darn thing aside from a cap, points, and condenser. However my problem is that i have never seen (nor worked on) one of these so I need to try and figure out what is missing from mine and how the stuff mounts. I have a friend willing to help me that works on cars but we would love some info/reference materials.

Does anyone have one of these cars that would be willing to take a picture of the distributor without the cap with the rotor removed so I can find out what is missing? all I have is the center piece where the rotor sits on top of but nothing else. I also need a good part number for a replacement rotor (found one on hagens but im suspect of it).

Maybe someone already has pictures and can direct me to a post here in the forum? Also a line on a front bumper (blasphemy but even a fiberglass repro would do), and possibly a vintage air cleaner (not going for beauty but merely originality and cruising).

Thanks and I hope to learn more about these cars here!

Old 05-08-2021, 12:52 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome Kato! Welcome to the joys of a one year car. But you're in luck, some great people here willing to help get your car on the road.

I might be able to help you with a few of your missing parts. I'll PM you.

Old 05-08-2021, 01:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Welcome!! First thing is to look on ebay & other sites & find a factory service manual! Invaluable when working on these cars. Is your Dist. a small or large Dist? Large will look just like a regular GM cap but with 4 flat spots between the plug wires.

POCI.org
Old 05-12-2021, 03:33 AM

it has the 4 flat spots. Found all the parts to put it back together electronically speaking. Now just need an air cleaner and front bumper. Anyone have anything? Thanks for all of the help so far guys!