Old 06-21-2021, 05:17 PM
Senior Chief

Default Interior heater box compatibility

Replacing the rusted out mouse hotel that looks like it was operating at maximum mouse capacity since the car was taken off the road in ‘86.

1968 GTO non-AC.

Are all the a-body heater boxes between ‘68-‘72 compatible? I figured they would be but have seen several ads for a ‘68 or ‘69 box listed for Lemans/Tempest and Cutlass, but have text saying “not compatible with Chevelle”. I believe the Dynacorn 1400D reproduction box only calls out compatibility with one year/model too.

Possibly some of the refurbished ones I’ve come across are including the heater core and that is limiting the compatibility?

Thanks for any info.

Old 06-22-2021, 11:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Bumping this for you because I'm curious also.

Old 06-23-2021, 07:02 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by dataway View Post
Bumping this for you because I'm curious also.
Thanks for the bump.

The more I compare what’s left of mine to every pic I come across online, the only thing I notice that’s different is the “Air Cable Mounting Bracket” (#43 in the pic below).

From what I can find, ‘68-‘70 shared the same part number for the Heater Case. Those same years shared the same bracket part number mentioned above. Other makes and models appear to have a straight cable mounting bracket that doesn’t wrap over the enclosure itself.

Wondering if the only differences between all of them are small brackets that could be brought over from my rotted out donor. Can’t imagine that the stamped box itself would be different between brands.

Sorry- just thinking out loud lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B0AE229F-6FC8-4DA1-8ED9-2505BBE548F3.jpeg
Views:	59
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	568738  

Old 07-01-2021, 02:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Entropy, you are correct. Differences can be transfered over, box is the same. They can't list as a 100 fit due to this.
I put a 72 LeMans sport box in my 68 GTO. levers and cable hold downs were a little different.
I am sure you want this at 100% efficiency, so as not to create Any Entropy!!

Old 07-03-2021, 06:43 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Entropy, you are correct. Differences can be transfered over, box is the same. They can't list as a 100 fit due to this.
I put a 72 LeMans sport box in my 68 GTO. levers and cable hold downs were a little different.
I am sure you want this at 100% efficiency, so as not to create Any Entropy!!
Haha- thanks! That was efficient!

I grabbed a box from a ‘69 Chevelle but haven’t had a chance to really check it out much before heading out of town for a bit. Glad to know it’ll work. Thanks!