Old 07-14-2021, 12:05 PM

Default 1965 GTO trans cross member question

Can I use a trans cross member from a 1965 Chevelle in place of an original 1965 GTO cross member?

Old 07-14-2021, 02:23 PM
Senior Chief

Never done it but I say yes. The frames are the same, transmissions are mostly the same and even the floor pans are the same.

Old 07-14-2021, 02:54 PM

Thanks Jack - I’m thinking the same. I know ends are different (no insulators required and bolt holes are different on the Chevy member)), but I would think the center trans mount falls in the same place...

Old 07-14-2021, 06:34 PM

If anyone has used a Chevy trans cross member on their Pontiac please let me know if it was an easy, doable swap......I have an opportunity to get one cheap.
Thanks in advance for any input

Old 07-15-2021, 08:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TPM View Post
If anyone has used a Chevy trans cross member on their Pontiac please let me know if it was an easy, doable swap......I have an opportunity to get one cheap.
Thanks in advance for any input
I would like to get a Chevy one also.

Old 07-15-2021, 09:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I assume the 65 GTO and 64 GTO use the same crossmember mounts. The Pontiac mounts and Chevy mounts are completely different. The frame rails are the same.

GTO = rubber bushings pressed onto the ends of the crossmember and the rubber bushings are then captured by a metal cup that is bolted to the frame rails.

Chevelle: crossmember is bolted directly to the frame.

Using a Chevelle crossmember, you'd just have to drill new holes in the frame rails to the more narrow bolt pattern of the Chevelle crossmember.

Everything else should be fine as far as shifter linkage clearance, exhaust pipe clearance and parking brake cable mounts.

BTW, my Chevelles have bolt holes for both the Chevy and Pontiac mounting styles, don't remember if the GTO does or not so if they do you probably wouldn't have to even drill new holes. Photo shows the underside of my 65 Chevelle, you can see both sets of bolt holes.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	underptrans.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	80.3 KB
ID:	569817  

Old 07-15-2021, 10:41 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Anyone have a Chevelle crossmember they'd like to sell me? I assume '64-'67 would be the one. Sooo much cleaner than stamped steel style! I need to look locally but haven't yet. Bone yards don't have much, if any, of this stuff anymore.

Old 07-15-2021, 10:56 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I just checked my '65 and it has both set of holes drilled.

Old 07-15-2021, 01:27 PM

Thanks for the great responses - I just checked and my GTO also has the additional holes in the frame rails. I’m going to attempt the installation of the Chevelle cross member this weekend. It also looks like the Chevelle cm might provide some additional room for the exhaust pipes.
Thanks again.