Old 07-16-2021, 05:12 PM

Default 65 Tripower GTO- help!

While trying to install my PVC valve into its grommet in the valley pan, the grommet fell inside the valley pan. I cannot see it so I can’t get a tool on it to extract it. Any advice before I pull the intake and valley pan and fish it out?

Old 07-16-2021, 06:14 PM
Boost Engineer

IF YOU PUSHED IT INSIDE THE VALLEY PAN, Good luck with ever getting it back out without cutting the valley pan apart. The Valley Pan is made in two parts, a upper and a lower, and this might be a great time to cut it apart and clean the crap out of the inside of the thing. AND unless it is a repop pan, there WILL be crap inside that valley pan.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:14 PM

BTW the engine is a 1970 455 with a 65 Tripower

Old 07-16-2021, 06:15 PM
Boost Engineer

Cut it open.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 07-16-2021, 06:22 PM

Won’t cutting it open ruin the pan? Why not just buy another pan?

Old 07-16-2021, 07:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neasb View Post
BTW the engine is a 1970 455 with a 65 Tripower
What valley pan are you using? 455 with front PCV or tri-power with rear PCV.

Either way, I'd get a new grommet and let the old one stay trapped right where it is. It wont hurt a thing.

Clay

Old 07-16-2021, 07:43 PM

You’re fine.

Buy a new grommet and next time don’t push so hard.

That grommet inside the valley pan won’t go anywhere or hurt anything as already mentioned.

Old 07-16-2021, 07:50 PM

I have a Tripower with rear PVC. I searched OEM valley pans online and see some pans had a 2” x 3” cutout at the bottom. Don’t recall what mine has but if I have the cutout I’m worried the grommet could make its way into the valve train. I did order a bore scope with a grabber attachment from Amazon, so maybe I can still pull it out of the grommet hole if I can see it and get a hold of it.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:06 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The grommet is too big to get to the opening in the valley pan. Don't worry about it just put in a new grommet like bman said.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:59 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by b-man View Post
You’re fine.

Buy a new grommet and next time don’t push so hard.

That grommet inside the valley pan won’t go anywhere or hurt anything as already mentioned.
This^ Or get a retrieval tool, some wire, or whatever and fish it out of there.

Old 07-17-2021, 12:47 PM
Boost Engineer

My only reason for saying cut it apart was many years ago, Marty Palbykin, had a used valley pan for his turbo engine. Tom Earhart said: "you should cut the spot welds and clean that thing before you put it on your new motor."

So Marty drilled out the spot welds and we looked inside the piece of crap. Lots of nasty looking stuff in there to go into a fresh motor. Being a PA location vehicle vs a California vehicle, I would do it.

If the motor is just a typical old pontiac engine, not a fresh rebuild go ahead with the other guys suggestion and just install a new grommet.

If it is a new build, I would still cut the spot welds and clean it and then weld the spot welds back again.

Just my position on the deal.

Old 07-17-2021, 07:37 PM

Thanks for all input. For starters I am trying a bore scope with retrieval hook, but slow and tedious. I can see it with the scope and touch it with the tool, just can’t get the hook around it yet. I feel like I’m trying to grab a prize with the claw crane at the arcade.

Old 07-17-2021, 08:19 PM
Boost Engineer

So is the valley pan or the engine new?
At the minimum, if you get the grommet out, soak the valley pan in a tub of tide and water for a couple of hours swishing the crap out every 15 minutes.

Tom V.

Old 07-18-2021, 07:39 AM

Tom, the motor was rebuilt many years ago by a reputable builder. The car sees about 500 miles/year and based on what I see with the scope the pan seems quite clean. Oil is changed annually. If I can’t get the grommet out i plan to pull the intake and pan and do full cleanup in my parts cleaner, then paint and reassemble.

Old 07-18-2021, 08:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Vaught View Post
So is the valley pan or the engine new?
At the minimum, if you get the grommet out, soak the valley pan in a tub of tide and water for a couple of hours swishing the crap out every 15 minutes.

Tom V.
Try Cascade Platinum ActionPacs and HOT water. More aggressive enzymes, etc.

Old 07-18-2021, 09:43 AM

I got the grommet out! What a PIA. Must have leaned over the fender for 5 hours with the scope, vacuum hose, and coat hanger. I was finally able to bat the grommet into a position where I could hook it with the coat hanger. She came out in one piece. About 45 years ago when I wasn’t so bright I dropped a bolt into the valve train when the intake was off on my first GTO. I heard it bottom out on the either the windage tray or oil pan. I decided to leave it in the motor and hope for the best.. A few weeks later the motor seized. The bolt may not have caused the seize, but my buddies were convinced it was. So this time I was adamant about removing the grommet one way or another. Lesson learned- install PVC valve in grommet first then install unit into valley pan. Thanks again for all your input!

Old 07-18-2021, 09:47 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by neasb View Post
I got the grommet out! What a PIA. Must have leaned over the fender for 5 hours with the scope, vacuum hose, and coat hanger. I was finally able to bat the grommet into a position where I could hook it with the coat hanger. She came out in one piece. About 45 years ago when I wasn’t so bright I dropped a bolt into the valve train when the intake was off on my first GTO. I heard it bottom out on the either the windage tray or oil pan. I decided to leave it in the motor and hope for the best.. A few weeks later the motor seized. The bolt may not have caused the seize, but my buddies were convinced it was. So this time I was adamant about removing the grommet one way or another. Lesson learned- install PVC valve in grommet first then install unit into valley pan. Thanks again for all your input!
Congrats! I know I've pulled some bone head maneuvers over the years! Lol! You'll feel much better knowing it's out of there.