Old 07-17-2021, 01:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default I think I'll let a MOPAR shop restore a all original car....

What a waste to a original car. If this was NOT a numbers car, I wouldn't care much, but... spay bombs cant fix this mess. mopar madness at work..
This proves that "DONE", or "Done Right", is VERY Subjective.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/16496336879...MakeTrack=true
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rt.jpg
Views:	575
Size:	34.9 KB
ID:	569950  

Old 07-17-2021, 02:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It's like: "I know how the factory should have done it, and I'm going to do it that way". What a foot shooting move on a lot of work, equity wise. Wait, maybe not. See the sell $ if it does. It is priced in really nice HO territory now (?)

Old 07-17-2021, 02:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

So what is it that results in some of these car having a high stance? Wrong springs, something else? This is not the worst one I've seen but it looks too high.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
Old 07-17-2021, 03:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
So what is it that results in some of these car having a high stance? Wrong springs, something else? This is not the worst one I've seen but it looks too high.
Rear;
1. A "generic" camaro/nova 5 leaf spring installed, typically the shock plates are bent up on all 4 corners as well.
2. Generic 4 leaf , or customer decided a higher rate was better.
3. Customer ordered stock Eaton springs and in typical fashion Eaton "Over arches" their springs.
4. People who over tighten the spring to front cup and shackles often pinch
the spring and it cant move, making it a NON suspension.
Too stiff and non correct rate springs can split the rear frame rails at top arch. I have seen this first hand.
Front ;
1. "oh its the same as a Big Block Cheby" and one of only 2 springs is chosen
and the words "It will settle down" are used.
2. The stock control arm bushings can and do Slow down and restrict movement of the suspension.
3. Once people spend all their money on what their cuzin Blarney told them too, They are often pissed and broke and ditch the car.
Even cutting springs, if you do Not know the rate it's a crap shoot..
Homework and Del~a~Lum Bearings are needed to make it work like a suspension should.
If your tires bounce off a bump and dont come back down FAST.., you are loosing traction, and handling.. ( why struts were invented)
I bet this car is some SCARY on a corner.. BUt mopar guys ONLY think about going Straight.. So its all understood.
what a rant!

Last edited by Formulabruce; 07-17-2021 at 03:41 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Formulabruce For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2021, 03:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does this mean MOPAR resto's are getting black inner fenders and firewalls?

Old 07-17-2021, 03:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Rear;
1. A "generic" camaro/nova 5 leaf spring installed, typically the shock plates are bent up on all 4 corners as well.
2. Generic 4 leaf , or customer decided a higher rate was better.
3. Customer ordered stock Eaton springs and in typical fashion Eaton "Over arches" their springs.
4. People who over tighten the spring to front cup and shackles often pinch
the spring and it cant move, making it a NON suspension.
Too stiff and non correct rate springs can split the rear frame rails at top arch. I have seen this first hand.
Front ;
1. "oh its the same as a Big Block Cheby" and one of only 2 springs is chosen
and the words "It will settle down" are used.
2. The stock control arm bushings can and do Slow down and restrict movement of the suspension.
3. Once people spend all their money on what their cuzin Blarney told them too, They are often pissed and broke and ditch the car.
Even cutting springs, if you do Not know the rate it's a crap shoot..
Homework and Del~a~Lum Bearings are needed to make it work like a suspension should.
If your tires bounce off a bump and dont come back down FAST.., you are loosing traction, and handling.. ( why struts were invented)
I bet this car is some SCARY on a corner.. BUt mopar guys ONLY think about going Straight.. So its all understood.
what a rant!
LOL. I think that does qualify as a rant, but it's a righteous one. Cars sitting wrong is just an immediate "no go" for me. Visually it's just deal breaker and as you say, it's gonna screw up the handling. Thanks for the explanation!

Last edited by jhein; 07-17-2021 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This car has been for sale 3 or 4 times at various dealers around the Great Lakes over the past 5-10 years since the guy who built it sold it. It was intentionally done as a "custom" to the owners' preference - not as a restoration. The paint isn't a factory color, either, obviously.

It's a nicely done car, just not "stock". My only beef is the "hidden" tailpipes.

70 Formula RA III / M21 / Lucerne Blue / Bright Blue
Old 07-17-2021, 10:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Looks pretty goofy all jacked-up on all four corners. You could go 4-wheeling with it I guess. Does retain Pontiac power. I was expecting a generic LS under the hood. 75K is allot of coin even in this market for a custom unless that's exactly the way you want your Firebird.

Old 07-18-2021, 04:24 AM
Suspended

I think it's fine. It's not to my taste or interests but seems clean and neat. The price is obviously out there. Jacked up suspension? Probably still sits lower than most out there.

Old 07-18-2021, 10:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I actually don't mind the body color in the engine compartment. That's a nice color to pull that off as well. Adds a little more eye appeal to what is usually an otherwise dull engine compartment. It's fine for anyone that wants something a little different to stand out from the cookie cutter stuff.

Not just a mopar thing. GM was doing body color in the engine compartments of the trucks and blazers during this time frame, and others like AMC were doing it.

Couple of restorations lately I've done the bottom of the hood body color on purpose, just to show off the work involved in the hood a little more. Never meant to be a concours deal.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-18-2021, 12:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think what is different is that as a "custom", it isn't custom except personalized paint choices. So the color stuff jumps out in a sea of stock. Different rims, some maybe day 2 stuff, some tasteful engine hot rod upgrades, and then the car starts to fit the color look, to me. It does look like a well done car.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems more are getting away from the all black thing.

Like you said Bird, a few other subtle changes would go good with this theme and present well.

I've had more requests lately for body color on the bottom of the hood. Last one also wanted the top of the cowl body color but the firewall black. I wasn't sure about that one but after I finished it, it actually gave a nice contrast.

Painting my Chevelle now and decided to do body color on the bottom of the hood, mainly to help the ZL2 Cowl parts stand out a little more, giving it more detail.

Even Chevrolet and Pontiac was painting firewalls body color in the 50's, and back then Ford had the entire engine compartments body color. I've always liked it.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE

Last edited by Formulajones; 07-18-2021 at 02:08 PM.
Old 07-18-2021, 02:32 PM
Senior Chief

Nice car for someone. Neat clean and tidy. NOT FOR ME. as stated a few things here and there could really make this an eye-catcher.

Old 07-18-2021, 02:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
I think what is different is that as a "custom", it isn't custom except personalized paint choices. So the color stuff jumps out in a sea of stock. Different rims, some maybe day 2 stuff, some tasteful engine hot rod upgrades, and then the car starts to fit the color look, to me. It does look like a well done car.
Agree completely.