Old 07-30-2021, 02:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That's VxE=A not V+E=A.

I live in whitetail deer country. They think they have the right of way, especially during the rut. I replaced the 7" Halogen bulbs in my '52 GMC with Hella 7" reflectors (they also make a 5 3/4" model) that take the same H4(9003) bulbs my wife's Toyota Highlander uses. While I was at it, I did my own relay system. Made a huge difference.

Standard H4 like I use is 60 watts on high beam. There are higher power versions up to 100 watts. Just don't flash them at your local Gestapo deputy on a lonely country road.

Old 07-30-2021, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Send a message via AIM to JLMounce

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Hanlon View Post
That's VxE=A not V+E=A.

I live in whitetail deer country. They think they have the right of way, especially during the rut. I replaced the 7" Halogen bulbs in my '52 GMC with Hella 7" reflectors (they also make a 5 3/4" model) that take the same H4(9003) bulbs my wife's Toyota Highlander uses. While I was at it, I did my own relay system. Made a huge difference.

Standard H4 like I use is 60 watts on high beam. There are higher power versions up to 100 watts. Just don't flash them at your local Gestapo deputy on a lonely country road.
Hah, the typo got me!

Yeah the h4 halogens have a much better lumen per wattage ratio than sealed beams. Just that conversion alone, even without a dedicated relay would be beneficial. But there’s a reason modern vehicles have relays for lighting.

I don’t live in dear country but even driving on decently lit highways in my area with the old sealed beams was terrifying. Anything over about 40mph was just downright dangerous.

Switch to the LED’s was more of a safety purchase than a vanity one. My 51 year old car now has better visibility than my 2014 jeep!

Last edited by JLMounce; 07-30-2021 at 03:24 PM.
Old 09-01-2021, 07:58 PM

I used hella H4 conversion housings, then bought leds. Plug and play. I keep a spare set of regular h4 bulbs in the car, Incase one goes out. Easy change.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	B4EF46CF-1B13-4581-ACE7-71149741B12D.jpg
Views:	213
Size:	94.1 KB
ID:	572297  

Old 09-03-2021, 09:04 AM
Senior Chief

lighting can be as cheap (low) or high as you choose to have it nowadays.
How much money do you want to spend?

The answer to that WILL DICTATE what you do and how you do it.
LED is the ONLY system that does not need relays for power
Halogens can be ok ...WITH relay upgrade
H4 conversion using sliverstars...= works good with relays....but the silverstar bulbs are expensive and die young (ie keep the reciept as they have a 1 yr warranty)
HID conversion
and lastly PROJECTORS.

Old 09-03-2021, 03:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spaceman Spiff View Post
I used hella H4 conversion housings, then bought leds. Plug and play. I keep a spare set of regular h4 bulbs in the car, Incase one goes out. Easy change.
Is this the housing you went with?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002850001

Any issue with the depth (i.e., modifications required to mount)?

Any LED will fit the housing?

1970 GTO (Granada Gold) - 400 / TH400
Old 09-03-2021, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Is this the housing you went with?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/hla-002850001

Any issue with the depth (i.e., modifications required to mount)?

Any LED will fit the housing?
Hella 002850811 Is what I used.
I got the leds from amazon.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B08KY...b_b_asin_title
The first the housing with no issue.
There are two wire clips that hold the bulb to the housing, you just have to play with them a little to get them to snap into place, as the led is a little bit larger body than the standard bulb.

Old 09-05-2021, 07:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by vertigto View Post
Looking for some feedback/experiences on replacing the original headlights in my 70 GTO with either halogen or LED. The car will likely see very limited night action with the amount of deer in the area.

I realize LEDs are much brighter, but wondering if a halogen like the Sylvania SilverStar H6024 would more than suffice (or Xtravision 5001)? Obviously much less expensive (for 4) than LEDs and supposedly brighter/whiter than most halogens.

Convince me...

Silverstar work excellent & no relay needed .

Old 09-05-2021, 07:47 PM
Senior Chief

I like the Silver star Ultras but they don't make one for our cars. I bought the Philips crystal vision from Rock Auto. They were pretty cheap. I like them as I did not want to spend a lot for the LED headlights. I put LED'S in the rest of the car, just not the headlights yet. I still need to do some research on the headlights. The dash lights and the other outer lights are great.

The Following User Says Thank You to jerry455 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-05-2021, 07:57 PM

Unfortunately, my car got flooded during hurricane ida.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	0EA73209-59AF-4AB1-8F22-682765764DD5.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	75.7 KB
ID:	572557   Click image for larger version

Name:	6E23BD54-0EC3-4F20-A7A3-7009B6DB818D.jpg
Views:	203
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	572558  

Old 09-05-2021, 09:24 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Oh man...so sorry to hear that.

Old 09-11-2021, 11:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

How much help to the electrical load is it to replace all the other lights with LED bulbs? Would have to knock 100 watts off compared to all incandescents.

Old 09-13-2021, 08:59 PM
Senior Chief

Not sure but should be able to calculate. I like the LED's because they are brighter and cooler. They brake light bulbs light faster. The less load is a bonus.

Old 10-22-2021, 10:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

After too much consideration, I think I am going to go LED instead of halogen. Not really interested in modifying with relays and would probably upgrade at some point to LED/HID anyways.

I'm considering either the Hella 002850811 Vision Plus Conversion Headlights

OR H5006 Nokya Sealed Beam Replacement Headlights

...and using with the Lasfit 60W 9007 HB5 LED bulbs. I figure I could keep the H4 bulbs that come with the Hella conversion kit as a backup...I don't see them selling the housings without.

Before I order, any reason for not going this route? I want to avoid any modifications (e.g. trimming headlight housings, wiring relays, etc).

Old 10-22-2021, 11:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My LED Seven's from Dapper came in. There were a lot of options, but I went with what I thought would look closest to factory (no halo, OEM glass, chrome housing). The angle of the shot makes the center looks darker than it is in reality. They fit in the buckets without any modification.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_2845D.jpg
Views:	410
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	575813  

Old 10-22-2021, 11:49 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a headlight relay system and halogen headlights from NAPA, its as bright at night as any new car. The high beams are also excellent.

Old 10-22-2021, 11:53 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Gator57...thanks for the info.

Just read an older thread about the new reproduction T3 replacements by Lectric Limited with updated bulbs that meet current federal lighting standards. They look good for a mostly original car and are not expensive for the set of 4 ($149). Anyone have these and can comment on exactly how bright they are compared to OEM/halogen/LED?

https://www.lectriclimited.com/sealed-beam-set-89689

Old 10-26-2021, 10:49 PM

For anyone who would like more information on lights, their wiring, replacement bulbs, and how to aim aim them take some time and explore this website.

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/t...ys/relays.html

Old 10-28-2021, 09:53 PM
Senior Chief

I did the relay mod before I started messing with my bulbs. It alone made a huge improvement. I made my first setup with relays and plugs bough separately. Later I just started using the headlight relay wiring kits off Amazon for $15-20. You just need to be sure to grab the ones with the heavier gauge wire.

Next I dug into what sealed beams were available. I wasn’t finding any of the available options interesting so I grabbed a cheap set of eBay H4 conversion lenses. They were junk so they went back. Opted for the Hella H4 conversion set from Amazon. That was a quality set for $75 or so. Made a huge improvement even considering the rather standard bulbs they include. Well worth the $$. Only negative is if you’re a purist and need the convex front on the lens/housing. The Hella’s are basically flat. I figured the trade off was well worth it. Flat lenses and my car in one piece, vs convex OE looking lenses and mg car in a ditch or in pieces from a deer.

I have a few sets of Cibie H4 lenses now which are supposed to be the best. Been acquiring them over the past few years when they’d pop up on eBay really cheap. Personally I feel like the perceived (by me at least) light output is the same as the Hella’s, you’re just paying a premium for the convex appearance. I believe Valeo is the name Cibie went with in more recent years. I have sets of both… they’re identical.

Hope that info might help someone trying to do the same some day. Took me a while to sort it all out a few years back. The difference in light output is phenomenal. No way I’d ever feel confident with a set of old (or new) sealed beams without relays!

Old 10-29-2021, 10:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I guess the next question is which conversion lenses/kits are closest in shape/convex and pattern as OEM without getting too expensive? Would like to match closely (if reasonable) and for fit in the buckets/rings.

Hella?
Cibie/Valeo?
RMS Lighting/Hector Vega?
IPCW?
Dapper?

Seems like most who responded have mentioned that the conversion kits they used are not as convex. Seems like Dapper is 2-4 times as expensive as the others for the features I would want.

Old 10-29-2021, 11:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gator67 View Post
My LED Seven's from Dapper came in. There were a lot of options, but I went with what I thought would look closest to factory (no halo, OEM glass, chrome housing). The angle of the shot makes the center looks darker than it is in reality. They fit in the buckets without any modification.
Gator67, Could I ask about the Dappers? I think you said you were installing in a 70 Formula?. They fit into the bucket okay but how about for depth? I talked to Dapper about a set for my 70 Formula and they couldn't guarantee that I would have the clearance behind the bucket because "with the bulb fitted, the assembly is an inch or so deeper than a stock sealed beam and you might not have the clearance". How much room between the bucket and the rad support do you have with the LED 7 installed?

Really like the idea of LEDs for their lower current draw and increased light but, for the little night driving I am likely to be doing I would only do if they are complete drop in replacement. Thanks.