THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-30-2021, 12:24 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Old Dog Learns New Trick !(hopefully)

I remember the many times I said that all I knew about a computer was which part the mouse is, & that I hoped I'd never have to learn how to use one.

But, then some of my favorite parts vendors begin charging for their paper catalogs & set up free websites. So, I decided that I needed to learn the basics of using a computer.

So, I learned the basics & bought an HP laptop. Have never bothered to learn much more than the basics. But I can search online for info & parts & other stuff I wanna buy. Can also post on forums & FB pages(when I'm not locked out).

But now, the time has come when I feel that I NEED to learn how to use a smartphone. I suppose that TJ & I are included in a VERY small percentage of the adult population in this country who have never had a smartphone.

But, as we were recently reminded, there are lots of things in life now that pretty much REQUIRE a smartphone. Almost everything you try to join or sign up for, now requires that you respond to a message or code sent to your mobile device.

We bought a $20 flip phone from Wal Mart & a cheap basic TracPhone plan. It gets signals from the Verizon towers. We live several miles from the nearest V-tower. Our phone will not receive or send from unside our house. Have to take it out on our front porch to get a signal that will receive messages/calls. Same was true for the Verizon hotspot we had for years.

Well, about a year & a half ago, AT&T home internet became available from the brand new tower that was built about a mile North of us. So, we got that set-up, complete with the indoor Wi-Fi. It's a lot cheaper, even tho we get MUCH more allowable data transfer. I think TJ said it's now up to well over 300GB. We've never even used 100, so far. Max was 24GB on the hotspot.

So, anyhow, we were considering switching our flip phone over to AT&T, so we could use the closer tower, for a much stronger signal, at home.

I'd seen the huge amount of interest always created surrounding the introduction of the new, high end smartphones. But, I also noticed that the price of those are now well over $1000. So, I had never even considered getting a smartphone.

But, since we have recently been made aware that a smartphone could be very useful to us in certain situations, I decided to do some online info searching.

So, this thread will be about our 1st smart phone, which one I chose & why, & the whole process of learning the basics of using it.

Will probably ask lots of really basic dummy questions, since I've never even made a swipe on a smartphone or touchscreen device of any kind.

Might be sort of humorous for many of you guys who have been using them so long that you now just sorta take 'em for granted, & can do what you need to do without hardly even thinkin about it.

So, let the story begin !

Old 07-30-2021, 12:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default My Choice

Well, I wasn't about to pay $1000 or more for a phone, not even close to that !

So, I did what I usually do, I Googled for info. Searched for stuff like best budget smartphone. From what I could find, it appears that anything under $300 is considered low budget. But there are quite a few that get good ratings, which cost less than $200.

Now, many long time users probably wouldn't even consider anything but the very latest & greatest models, with the most up-to-date features.

But a decent low end model will do just fine for us beginners. Might be all we ever need.

The model that kept coming up as one of the very best low end phones is the Moto G Power. So, I checked out quite a few YouTube videos of that model.

Seems that the 2020 model is actually considered by several reviewers to be a better buy than the 2021 models. From what little I've learned, it seems to touch all the bases, for what we need.

So, I searched for the best deal on that model. The deal I decided on was from the same company we have our current plan with, TracPhone.

The phone, plus the cheapest 1-month plan, minus the 25% discount for signing up for their Email junk, resulted in a total price of just over $140. I can live with that. It's already been shipped & is on it's way. Should be here early next week. The lady I talked to said that after it arrives I can call back & they'll help me get it set up, switched over to AT&T, and get our current phone number switched over to it.

Was gonna post a link to it. But apparently I bought the last one they had in stock, since it is no longer listed. Here's a review of it.

https://www.pcmag.com/reviews/motorola-moto-g-power

Old 07-30-2021, 01:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If you want the most user friendly, easy to figure out phone, honestly it's an apple device;
They have always centred on being user friendly.

It's not that Android phones (essentially operating system that all non-apple smart phones use) are not user friendly, but they have more of a learning curve.

One of the biggest issues with getting a smart phone is that as of a number of years ago, these apps all essentially started requiring the latest operating system (think of it as to a phone, what 'Windows' is to a PC).

I have a good suggestion;
Most localities have smart phone resellers - see if you can buy a used iphone that can run the latest ios, then don't mess things up by updating it, and call it done.
They should be able to show you the device, show you how it works, then you can sleep on it and go back to make a decision later.

You should be able to get an iphone 5S or (slightly larger) 6 (I personally prefer a smaller device) that can still run a very recent IOS (the last update for those devices is from last month) which will allow you to install or run virtually any app you might want.

More info on iphone versions versus which OS they can run:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPhone#Software

I used to have a iphone 3G (second gen iphone) that I bought used;
I replaced it with a iphone 4S (fifth gen iphone) that I also bought used;
That was replaced with a 6S (10th gen) that was purchased for me new by my employer (techincally it's not mine).
I liked the shape and size of 3g the most - but it had a lousy camera.
I prefer the smaller 4 & 5 iphones compared to the 6 and newer (or obscenely large 6-plus and newer) - and the camera took a huge leap forward with the 6S.

I stopped updating my operating systems with my 6S because I found that overall, it did more bad than good on my 4S (ate up hard drive space, and effectively didn't give me any practical features I wanted).

I can't run most apps on my 6S, and some web sites don't play well with the version of safari (the apple web browser on my phone).

but I do not care about those issues.

I want a phone to:
1) make calls, and text
2) have a camera
3) double as a music player
4) be able to occasionally look something up on the internet

#1 - does it all fine; I have found that group messages with IOS & non-IOS users doesn't function properly, but I don't care.
#2 - the camera on this phone is so much better than my last two, I don't care about any further resolution increased past this one.
#3 - works perfect - as a matter of fact, a couple updates after my 6S's IOS moved your music to being streamed (which requires data); I have been told that you can create a "playlist" that will save those songs to your phone, but that seems like pure nonsense to me.
#4 - hiccups aside, it works just fine - if I really want to be on a website that doesn't "play well" on my phone, I put down my phone and go to my computer.

In most situations where someone tries to tell me that a phone is required for confirmation or what ever, I tell them I have too old of a phone for that to work, and have never been in a situation where there wasn't a go-around that they quickly did for me.

My opinion is that technology is great, but it is fast becoming a crutch for many.

When it comes to roping one's self to a device, I'd rather tune out, than tune in.

Good luck!

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-30-2021, 02:26 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ponyakr do you have a Walmart around near you? Reason is that a smart phone (Android) will cost you 10 times more if you buy thru AT&T. Thru Walmart I found an Samsung Galaxy A32 5G, or it was an A12 5G, for around $136.00. Granted it's not top of the line from Samsung but the lady said it will work just about the same and for less money. So at least go check it out. Androids are not hard to use. Yes WallyMart also has iPhones. AS for the Moto G she just rolled her eyes.

Make sure any phone you consider is a 5G, as not all 4G phones like my Samsung Galaxy 7, cannot be upgraded to 5G. Flip phones are on the way out too I was told. So don't waste your money on one. As told they cannot be upgraded to 5G either.

Gary
Get in, ShuT Up, Hang On!
Member of the Baltimore Built Brotherhood
MY GTO built 4th Week of March 1966
"Crusin' Is Not A Crime"
Keep yer stick on the ice.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:54 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I bought a Kyocera which is a military grade phone, and it's made in the US (Japanese owned co). It's built like something that will last forever, with an unbreakable screen, metal trim, and it's waterproof as well and designed to be used under water. Runs on android os ver 9, 2yr warranty, and sells for $449 through att, or verizon or other carriers

Some people like apple os, but I'm not one of them...

https://kyoceramobile.com/duraforce-pro-2/att/

68 GTO
Old 07-30-2021, 03:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife and I have been using Motorola smart phones for years. I think the Moto G7 at the moment. We buy unlocked versions and have used them all over the world with never a single problem. We are with ATT because of their travel plans but they work with several other carriers too. Don't think we've ever paid more than $300 for one and they consistently rank well among all brands.

So, good choice. If you travel a smart phone becomes a huge asset, booking flights or hotels on the move, checking into flights, downloading boarding passes, using Uber, getting "unlost" etc.

Plus with ATT people can just call us at our regular number and it forwards to anywhere in the world we happen to be.

Old 07-30-2021, 04:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I have the IPhone 8,still the small format to fit in a Tshirt pocket.I learned that way more people have their format when I needed to IMessage when I was on a boat 400 miles offshore.Tom

Old 07-30-2021, 04:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"...AS for the Moto G she just rolled her eyes..."

I assume that's what the saleslady at Wal Mart did.

Here's what a reviewer at PC Mag said about the 2020 Moto G Power.

"...THE BOTTOM LINE
Solid performance, multi-day battery life, and a gorgeous 6.4-inch display make the $249 Moto G Power the best budget-friendly phone you can buy right now..."

I wonder if the lady at Wal Mart knows more than the reviewers who test phones at PC Mag ?

Anyhow, as I've ALREADY posted, I've ALREADY ordered the 2020 Moto G Power, & it's ALREADY been shipped.

SO, that's the phone we're gonna start out with. If after we learn that it won't do what we need for it to do, or wanna try something else, then we'll decide then what to try next.

If that happens, I'll ask for suggestions & experiences that you guys have had with phones you think might be what we need.

But, I'm feel pretty sure that I'll need to ask some VERY basic questions here, as I try to learn the basics of how to use this 1st phone we're gonna try. Will appreciate all the help. But remember, I know NOTHING about how to operate it, other than the very little I picked up from the YouTube videos I watched.

As mentioned, I assume it will get here early next week. When it arrives, I'll post pics & relate the info/help we get from TracPhone.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post

Anyhow, as I've ALREADY posted, I've ALREADY ordered the 2020 Moto G Power, & it's ALREADY been shipped.
Sorry - I totally missed that.

If I could delete my post, I would.

2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
Old 07-30-2021, 06:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Just be sure to cycle your new phone off and back on about twice a week as this helps clean out temp memory and trash cookies.

Old 07-30-2021, 06:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
Just be sure to cycle your new phone off and back on about twice a week as this helps clean out temp memory and trash cookies.
OK, Thanks for the info !

But, I won't have to worry about that. Will probably only turn it on while learning to use it & when we wanna call/text on it, or are expecting a call/text on it.

Will continue to make & receive most calls on our land line. And will do most all online stuff on my Chromebooks & TJ's new iMac.

OK, here's one of my 1st dummy questions.

When using it inside our house, can we just log on to our home AT&T internet Wi-Fi, in order to not use any of the data transfer allowance on our TracPhone plan ?

OR, will the data transfer still be counted by TracPhone, even if connected to our home internet ?

Last edited by ponyakr; 07-30-2021 at 06:23 PM.
Old 07-30-2021, 06:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
I used to turn mine off every night (how's that for dating me!);
Then I started using the alarm;
Now I have to make a point to turn mine off!

Old 07-30-2021, 09:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I get my sons hand me downs. Should be getting a upgrade soon.

TOM
Old 07-30-2021, 09:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by salem1912 View Post
I get my sons hand me downs. Should be getting a upgrade soon.
LOL !

Old 07-31-2021, 01:30 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I get the "look" every time I buy a new Moto G, the company stores hate them because they are usually sold unlocked, bought outright with no plan, will work on multiple networks and cost half the price of the phones they are trying to sell you.

They are made by Lenovo actually. I find them to be an excellent phone, I consider myself somewhat of an expert on them as I've owned five of them, and my wife four, we usually get the next model every two years or so.

My old boss with the latest Iphone would always get pissed when I'd shake my MotoG to turn on the light, or twist it to turn on the camera and asked him, will your phone do that

Old 07-31-2021, 04:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

"... I'd shake my MotoG to turn on the light, or twist it to turn on the camera and asked him, will your phone do that "

LOL !

The Following User Says Thank You to ponyakr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 12:37 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by ponyakr View Post
OK, Thanks for the info !

OK, here's one of my 1st dummy questions.

When using it inside our house, can we just log on to our home AT&T internet Wi-Fi, in order to not use any of the data transfer allowance on our TracPhone plan ?

OR, will the data transfer still be counted by TracPhone, even if connected to our home internet ?
Yes, your phone can be set up to look for your home or anyone’s home wifi first to save your data. I don’t know how to do it with your model phone, but going into “Settings” and enabling “wifi” should get the phone looking for your or any wifi in range. Then you should be able to select the wifi network and enter the password, most phones will then look for those wifi networks you have used before and remember the password and auto connect for you when ever in range

Old 07-31-2021, 04:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I've read somewhere that AT&T can block me from using the phone that I'll have, to make Wi-Fi calls over our AT&T home internet, because I didn't buy the phone nor the plan from them.

I have no idea if this is so, or not.

Has anybody heard of this ? Anybody know for sure if this is true or not ?

Since the TracPhone plan will be using the AT&T network, TracPhone will be paying AT&T for using their network. So, AT&T will be making some profit from my cell phone use, even tho I didn't buy the phone or plan from them.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:06 PM
Senior Chief

Skype, Zoom and every other type of video calling should work for you., you will need to load the app if it is not preloaded on the phone.

Old 07-31-2021, 10:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by nas t eh View Post
Skype, Zoom and every other type of video calling should work for you., you will need to load the app if it is not preloaded on the phone.
OK. Not familiar with either of those. But I have HEARD of Skype. Will look into them.

Not interested in Video calling. Just wanna be able to use our AT&T home internet, rather than using up data from the TracPhone plan. That way I can get by with a cheap plan.