THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Washing my washing machine

My wife noticed some black crud on her scrubs after washing them. So, being the great husband and handyman that I am, I went on the internet and did a search for black crud in a Samsung washing machine. There were many, many links to the problem.
The solution ended up being a tear down of the tub to clean it. It took me about two hours to disassemble the washer, clean it and put it back together. There was a lot of crud under the tub and under the agitator.
So, if anyone else here has the same problem there is a solution. Sorry, my phone was dead and I didn't get any pictures. Just envision the inside of a P-trap on the kitchen sink and you'll get an idea of what I had to deal with.

Old 07-30-2021, 05:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you travel?

Old 07-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

My wife buys these special giant tablets that you run by themselves. Our washer and Dryer are 14 year old German made Duet series.

Old 07-30-2021, 07:59 PM

All of these buildup issues generally stem from cold water washes thanks to strong propaganda and government regulations. Run hot washes on a regular basis and the problem will slowly correct itself.

The Following User Says Thank You to 59safaricat For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2021, 09:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulabruce View Post
My wife buys these special giant tablets that you run by themselves. Our washer and Dryer are 14 year old German made Duet series.
Yep that's what we use once a month. Sounds like a lug nut bouncing around. Also remove lower cover on my Kenmore and there is a drain catch/screen/trap that needs to be cleaned every 6months. That is where "stuff" ends up. If your model has it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	trap2.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	23.2 KB
ID:	570644  

TOM
Old 07-30-2021, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
Do you travel?
Not that far!

Old 07-30-2021, 11:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The drain in your dishwasher is the same. The one I have comes out in like 5 parts. You would believe the crud in there.
My hotel at the natl’s, I have a dishwasher in my room, I wash all my car parts in there before I take them home. The pot scrubber cycle is amazing on greasy parts. One rim will fit in ea shelf. Lmao

Old 07-31-2021, 12:16 AM
Senior Chief

Here’s a topic have plenty of experience in. Front load washers have a problem with the large rubber gasket that seals the door. It traps soap residue which leads to mildew and odors. Regular cleaning is easy to overlook because you don’t actually see anything looking dirty. You would think running a cycle of hot water and Clorox bleach would work but it doesn’t do much. A quart of white vinegar and a few tablespoons baking soda is actually what gets rid of the offending odors. If the odors keep coming back try using less soap because that’s what causes the problem in the first place. Photo shows the area where the problem starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 07-31-2021, 06:24 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid View Post
Here’s a topic have plenty of experience in. Front load washers have a problem with the large rubber gasket that seals the door. It traps soap residue which leads to mildew and odors. Regular cleaning is easy to overlook because you don’t actually see anything looking dirty. You would think running a cycle of hot water and Clorox bleach would work but it doesn’t do much. A quart of white vinegar and a few tablespoons baking soda is actually what gets rid of the offending odors. If the odors keep coming back try using less soap because that’s what causes the problem in the first place. Photo shows the area where the problem starts.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Exactly! I run several paper towes around the hidden part of the front load gasket. It comes out with slimy brown goo....especially from the top.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 07-31-2021, 09:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Not sure why you’d want a front loader, maybe in a low ceiling application. Lol
I was my car covers in a front loader, but it’s gotta be a huge one. I go to the laundromat to do that.

Last edited by burd; 07-31-2021 at 09:43 AM.
Old 07-31-2021, 12:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With front loaders make sure you do some whites with bleach and run it on HOT or VERY HOT every month or so. That will keep the mold at bay. Also, leave the door open after you wash so it has a chance to properly dry.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mr_GTO For This Useful Post:
Old 07-31-2021, 12:57 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We switched back to a top loader a few years ago and the problem is solved. I won't ever buy another front loader unless top loaders go away.

Old 08-04-2021, 10:25 AM

I've been using a top loader washing machine ever since. Thank God, I haven't experienced the same issue.

Old 08-04-2021, 04:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We've got a front loader (LG) and have never had the problem. Best washer we've ever had (going about 6 or 7 years now). Cleans the clothes better, uses less water and less soap, which is better for our septic system.

I'll never go back to a top loader.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to The Champ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-04-2021, 05:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We're on a well so the reduced water usage of the front loader is a big benefit. It also doesn't beat the clothes up as much; as evidenced by the reduction of lint in the dryer filter.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 08-05-2021, 07:28 AM
Ultimate Warrior

We have a top loader. Cant remember the brand right now but it was expensive. Just about right on target at 5 years old we started having problems. Our local appliance guy retired so I didnt know whom to call. The code came up a pump problem. So I went online and figured how to get to the pump. Lo and behold the screws came out of the mounting bracket, the pump was bouncing around and the wire broke. Put a connector and better screws and it worked like a charm. Figured I saved at least $125. Then the door lock switch went bad. I had a new appliance guy looking at my crapped out dish washer and asked him to take a look at the washer. He didnt even want to fool with it. Said it was time to replace as it was over 5 yo. Again, did a bit of online research, and ordered a new switch. $65 later, an hour to install and it has been working fine since.

Old 08-05-2021, 04:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

When we had our front loader, we used to wash my MIL's clothes because she was in a nursing home. She would commonly urinate in her clothes. We would have to wash her clothes 3 to 4 times before the odor would get out of the clothes. Always may me wonder how clean it could be getting our clothes with that little water. They just don't rinse enough. It was another issue that disappeared when we replaced it with a top loader. Some of the items that save water don't work as well as everyone thinks. They did work the bugs out of the low water consumption toilets as they were troublesome originally but clothes need to be in water and need to be rinsed well. I don't believe they accomplish this well at this time.

The Following User Says Thank You to necdb3 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2021, 04:40 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
The drain in your dishwasher is the same. The one I have comes out in like 5 parts. You would believe the crud in there.
My hotel at the natl’s, I have a dishwasher in my room, I wash all my car parts in there before I take them home. The pot scrubber cycle is amazing on greasy parts. One rim will fit in ea shelf. Lmao
Did you also bake the enamel on your exhaust manifolds in the oven?

Old 08-06-2021, 04:20 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by burd View Post
Not sure why you’d want a front loader, maybe in a low ceiling application. Lol
I was my car covers in a front loader, but it’s gotta be a huge one. I go to the laundromat to do that.
Because it is technology that works. Smoother operating, quieter, washes better with less water, easier on the clothes (doesn't beat them up with back and forth agitation), less prone to mechanical failure (transmission on top load agitators), usable storage/ ability to be built-in with cabinets above (that you can actually reach) and ease of transfer of clothes from washer to dryer are all pluses. I love mine.

The door seal can create a musty odor if mildew is allowed to form. If you leave the door ajar after each wash until dry, you'll have no issue.
I still clean my seal a couple times a year, I just add bleach to the dispenser, run a small cycle empty and just walk away. A simple wipe down with Clorox General Purpose Cleaner with Bleach also does the trick.

Old 08-06-2021, 04:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by necdb3 View Post
When we had our front loader, we used to wash my MIL's clothes because she was in a nursing home. She would commonly urinate in her clothes. We would have to wash her clothes 3 to 4 times before the odor would get out of the clothes. Always may me wonder how clean it could be getting our clothes with that little water. They just don't rinse enough.
I have NEVER had that problem at all. Clothes are cleaner and fresher than our old top loader.

I don't know how long ago you had your front loader or what brand it was, but I got my first front loader (Frigidaire) in about 2000. Moved it to our new home in 2005 and replaced it with the current LG unit around 2014/15.

Once again, I would never go back to the noisy, water guzzling, hard on clothes top loader.