Old 07-31-2012, 09:19 PM
Senior Chief

Default xxxx

Would the following procedure work in trying to get the tight tolerances with the divider plate?

What if you put constuction adhesive or JB Weld on the divider plate in a large amount that covers the entire area that the impellar almost engages,then spray the impellar with Pam or some other lube in order for the adhesive not to stick. With the water pump inverted, place the divider on the pump and spin the impellar. Clean off excess stickum.
May have to repeat process, but nohammering divider plate or tugging on impellar.

Saw McGiver do this one day while stranded on an island. Great imagination that McGiver.

Now we will have 6000 more threads as to what salad dressing to put on the impellar.
I love it.

dave

Last edited by davidgto; 07-31-2012 at 09:20 PM. Reason: mis spell
Old 08-21-2012, 08:21 AM

Do they make one for a 11 bolt water pump? Looked the one up listed below and its a 8 bolt.

Old 08-21-2012, 11:32 AM

cant edit so have to repost, I know they make one for a 11 bolt but is it the same fin design? You would think so

Old 09-20-2012, 02:50 PM

I ordered the Cardone PWP381 pump. Opened it up and the impeller is a stamped steel one. It does look bigger or different so maybe it'll work better?

-and wheels.
-2006 gto front and rear seats

1972 Vega
-waiting for turbo v8

1976 Nova
-owned since high school, it's been sleeping for over 15 years!
Old 09-26-2012, 09:24 PM

For those that are wondering if the Edelbrock 8856 Waterpump still needs the clearance problem between the propeller and divider plate: here is proof that there is still 1/4" of space. (I got this pump with the March Serpentine Kit and it is not reverse rotation like March says)

Old 08-02-2013, 08:20 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

OK, I went to O'Reilly last night and they carry the stamped steel implellers only, where can I get a good cast one?

I bought an '81 TA with a 6X 455 in it and you guessed it, it runs a little on the warm side. It has an aluminum water pump with cast impellers but everything else checks out good.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 08-02-2013, 10:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Napa still has cast impeller water pumps.

Old 08-04-2013, 11:36 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Went to NAPA yesterday, they now carry the stamped impeller pumps.

She woke up sunny side down and I was still thinking I was too proud to flip her over
Old 08-04-2013, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So their tru-flow is now stamped?
http://m.napaonline.com/Tablet/parts...122_0258172156

Old 08-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Not sure what number was ordered but it was the only cast body that he showed listed. When it came in, it had a stamped impeller.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:54 PM

I bought a cast impeller pump from Spotts Performance quite a few years ago, but still had the cooling issues. This despite every other item chased down and improved. The one thing that fixed my problem was the subject of this thread, reducing that dimension carefully on the divider plate. Another happy customer, thanks a ton!

Old 08-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't normally like bringing up old threads, but why has this thread never been a sticky? Especially with it being such a common problem?

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
The Following User Says Thank You to 67gtospud For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2013, 05:19 AM
Ultimate Warrior

UH, it is. Top of the page.

Old 08-14-2013, 06:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Goat 67 View Post
UH, it is. Top of the page.
Oops, all this time on the forums and I completely missed it!

1967 GTO, 432 (428+.030), 4-bolt mains, factory Nodular crank, scat rods, icon dished pistons, Lunati HR 243/251@.050, .618/.622 lift, Edelbrock 72cc round port heads, 10.5:1, offy 2-4 intake, Edelbrock 650cfm carbs, Super T10 trans (2.64 first), BOP 10 bolt w/ Eaton posi and 3.36 gears
Old 01-28-2014, 06:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Sent to Cardone today for clearer understanding.

Quote:
Here is the explanation I sent to Cardone earlier.

Maybe it will help you to understand better.

Quote:
The pumps you are putting out mostly have the impellers configured like this.

Improper or no contour to match what the plates have.

Which, when placed in the timing cover on the front of our Pontiac engines leaves a gap between the impeller and plate like this which causes cavitation and drastically reduced & improper water flow through the radiator. This gap generally measures ¼” or more.

I was lucky enough back in 2008 to find one of your 58-299 pumps that got through your system without having had the OEM type impeller cut down which looked like this. Here is a shot of the one I bought by chance and how it fits.

Mine runs so cool it's like I FINALLY have a brand new car! The volume of water movement is phenomenal! Engine temperature WILL NOT get above 5° of rating of thermostat! Even with AC on in July in Louisiana.

Notice how well the taller/contoured vanes pump fits the original plates here. Curvature of the blades is an exact match to the original plate.

The bulge in the plates was actually part of the pump chamber, allowing maximum pump volume for the given space allowed in the front of the timing chain cover.

This gives you a better idea where these pumps, plates and timing chain cover go together.

Inline Tube has started making the OEM correct plates, but NO ONE is putting out pumps that match.

This eight bolt pump configuration was used from 1963 to 1968 and then an eleven bolt pump was introduced that went all the way to 1979 when Pontiac stopped producing the V8 engine.

The eleven bolt pumps have the same problem as these I just discussed.

We are constantly being asked by all the other Pontiac restorers where to get a PROPER water pump and we have to tell them “No one builds one”.

I’m sure we would be able to make it worth your while if you were to correct this grievous wrong we have to live with.

I would be willing to bet we could sell 500 to 1000 of these in the first month they became available.

Does that help?

Charles

The Following User Says Thank You to Old Goat 67 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2014, 10:58 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Gap closed up a lot

Thanks to a fellow member here, I got hooked up with an original water pump for my 73 Formula, with a cast iron impeller which looks pretty big, measuring about 4 3/8" diameter with 8 tapered vanes. I sent it out to get it rebuilt/overhauled. I called them first and explained what I was sending, and the topic of this thread. They said they try to set the vane at OEM specs, but it is hard to do with only half of the part. I told him I was going to send a divider plate with it, so the impeller would be pushed on only so far to give me a good tight clearance, they agreed that would be very helpful to them.

It took about a week, and they sent it back with the impeller almost touching the divider plate with no gasket, so with a gasket it will have as close of a gap as possible. When it finally warms up enough to be able to replace the one on the car right now with this one, we shall see what happens with the temps, and I will post back with my results. Otherwise here are some pics of what I got back.

Pepi
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2873.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	358176   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2872.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	358177   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_2871.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	358178  

Old 03-26-2014, 01:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice.

George

Old 03-26-2014, 01:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post
Thanks to a fellow member here, I got hooked up with an original water pump for my 73 Formula, with a cast iron impeller which looks pretty big, measuring about 4 3/8" diameter with 8 tapered vanes. I sent it out to get it rebuilt/overhauled. I called them first and explained what I was sending, and the topic of this thread. They said they try to set the vane at OEM specs, but it is hard to do with only half of the part. I told him I was going to send a divider plate with it, so the impeller would be pushed on only so far to give me a good tight clearance, they agreed that would be very helpful to them.

It took about a week, and they sent it back with the impeller almost touching the divider plate with no gasket, so with a gasket it will have as close of a gap as possible. When it finally warms up enough to be able to replace the one on the car right now with this one, we shall see what happens with the temps, and I will post back with my results. Otherwise here are some pics of what I got back.

Pepi

YOU HAVE NAILED IT PEPI!
You are going to be very happy. Give us more detailed ASAP.

Charles

Old 03-26-2014, 04:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Will do Charles, waiting for some warmer weather (we just got a little snow yesterday again), and for my foot to heal before I can walk out to the garage and replace the pump. But I will definitely reply back on how it works, and if anyone needs anymore pictures or information.

Thank you Charles for all you have been trying to do with Cardone to try and get them to supply us good pumps. I have been following this thread for quite awhile, and you just don't quit and give up. Huge thanks!!

Pepi

Old 03-26-2014, 06:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pepi View Post

Pepi
Pepi,

Where did you send it to be rebuilt? Website? It looks great!