Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 05-02-2021, 06:39 PM
Boost Engineer

Agree the head intake ports positions are like a Square Port RA-V head would look like.
Not likely that the Tunnel Ram Tri-Power intake would fit that configuration.

Same deal with the belt drive "belt wrap" as shown in the picture of the "Adjuster" wheel
on the rear of the engine. Belt wrap is all wrong.

Tom V.

ps I personally worked on the "F" 3 valve cylinder head design and the small dual ports are typically for the INTAKE
side of the heads. That means that the Pontiac 3 valve heads would be an abortion as far as the flow thru the heads
if mounted as shown. As Tom S said Intake manifold is all wrong. .

The larger exhaust valve in the "F" heads (See Pictures) is there as a second exhaust valve is not needed.
The time sequence for the "F" heads was 4 Valve heads first, then the 3 Valve design, then the 2 valve design used on the V-8 and the V-10 Modular engines.

Tom V.

My direct Boss, Jim Clarke, loved the Pontiac engine 2 valve/3 valve design. He would not have COPIED a flawed design. The Pontiac Heads are not like the "F" heads at all. A Screw-up by Pontiac in my mind.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 3 Valve head-1.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	565818   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 3 Valve head-2.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	565819   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 3 Valve head-4.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	39.8 KB
ID:	565820   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ford 3 Valve head-5.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	565821  

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.

Last edited by Tom Vaught; 05-02-2021 at 07:33 PM.
Old 05-02-2021, 07:44 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Jim,take a close look at that middle pic of the 3 valve engine.The intake was on there for a mag pic.No way the ports line up with the intake valves.That had been pointed out before.Tom
Tom, not quite seeing what you are seeing. The single intake valve is 2.280" and the pair of exhaust valves are 1.420".

Appears to me the large intake valve is in alignment with the intake port at the top of the head/photo. At the top/end of the heads on the intake side you can see the round holes used for the water inlets. This head is in a side comparison of a stock head and all head bolt/steam holes all line up, so the view is intake runners on top, exhaust ports on bottom.

"By using a double chamfer in the throat of the port, a venturi shape was created to phase in the incoming gasses with less turbulence. The single intake valve could be placed directly on the centerline of the cylinder bore and at a relatively good inclination angle of 20 degrees. A consideration which prompted our 'engineering exercise' on the single intake/two-exhaust setup was the fact that the intake port did not require 'splitting' of the port, with a resultant increase of surface area and possible inefficiency of the port.

Now it certainly could be a clay model concept for the magazines.

Old 05-02-2021, 08:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The head has 4 individual intake ports,the intake has 2 paired intake tracks like a regular Dport bathtub except for the injector ports and a diff top for 3 throttle bodies and a stack of spacers for the top.Pretty much like the intake im going to reproduce.Tom

Old 05-02-2021, 08:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Again NOTHING to do with the original thread.Tom

Old 05-02-2021, 09:23 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Again NOTHING to do with the original thread.Tom
Maybe in your mind Tom S, but I am trying to visualize the airflow path from the Intake openings in the plenum thru the runner (or two runners), to the
given Intake ports in the heads.

A Pontiac member removed the dividing wall on his Offy intake and removed a portion of the intake runner prior to the intake valve of his pontiac heads.

So in your Bathtub repops are you going to have a common runner to two
short intake runners or 8 intake runners. Is there a dividing wall at the gasket surface of the Head mounting surface?

I have a right to ask questions Tom S.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 05-02-2021, 09:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Tom,there are many pics of the intake in the bathtub thread.It will be just like the one Randy made for Bill Blair.W plenum with very straight runners.Bills tempest ran in the 9s with it and my 62 421 drives great with it.Tom

Old 05-02-2021, 11:47 PM
Suspended

Quote:
The head has 4 individual intake ports,the intake has 2 paired intake tracks like a regular Dport bathtub except for the injector ports and a diff top for 3 throttle bodies and a stack of spacers for the top.Pretty much like the intake im going to reproduce.Tom
OK, got it. You were referring to the misalignment of the bathtub intake ports and the intake ports on the 3-valve head. It came across as the large intake valve did not line up with the head's intake port.

The 3-valve head may have only been used for flow test purposes and never had an intake to match, thus the one installed for the photo shoot. The intake ports do appear more in line with the RA V.

Old 05-03-2021, 12:10 PM
Boost Engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacJim1959 View Post
OK, got it. You were referring to the misalignment of the bathtub intake ports and the intake ports on the 3-valve head. It came across as the large intake valve did not line up with the head's intake port.
Agree.

PontiacJim1959, Pontiac Engineering never had a flow bench in their organization in the 1960s. Ken Sperry, who did flow bench testing at the GM Tech Center did eventually build a basic Flow Bench using a Roots supercharger (as a suction device) to move the air thru the cylinder heads and intake systems. The 3 Valve heads or any Pontiac Heads/ Intakes were never tested on a flow bench.

So the intake systems people are copying are based on assumptions vs actual testing in the early 60s.
Malcolm still hit a home run in most cases.

Tom V.

Old 07-24-2021, 06:56 PM

Tom-I had one of the 428 splayed bolt RAV blocks. Our buddy in Chicago has it now. It came with all the RAV parts I got in Atlanta. This one is only the second one I have seen.

Old 07-24-2021, 07:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Does it have the boss this thread started with?

Have any pics of yours?

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 07-24-2021, 09:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Island Boy View Post
Tom-I had one of the 428 splayed bolt RAV blocks. Our buddy in Chicago has it now. It came with all the RAV parts I got in Atlanta. This one is only the second one I have seen.
Was that stash of parts from Don Moore?