Old 07-19-2021, 10:39 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Compressor rebuild or replacement source

Hoping the gurus here have some advice. My 72 AC worked flawlessly, cold. A year ago or so, the compressor locked up and died in a bunch of smoke and noise. I recently bought a tank of R12, so I can do a repair now. So if anyone knows a good AC replacement or rebuild place for a compressor, I would appreciate it. I don't really care about correct numbers, want visually and functionally correct, so a replacement wouldn't bother me. Thanks!

Old 07-19-2021, 11:50 AM
Senior Chief

" compressor locked up and died in a bunch of smoke and noise", well first you better remove almost everything and give it a good flush. A "black death" leaves debris just about everywhere. Flow check everything and replace what does not pass.

Second "want visually and functionally correct" the only thing that looks like a A6 is an A6.. HR6 and Sandens are good but much shorter.

Third when coomplete pull a vaccuum below 75 microns and leave overnight. If still good try R of choice. Vacuum is free.

Finally, any time I replace major items, it gets converted to R134A. Easy to obtain, works well (even in Florida) and $4.88/can at Walmart.

Only oddball thing is the new R134A cans have a "self sealing" tap sorta like a schrader valve. Of course if you use a scissors tap ***edaboudit.

ps Bronxese for "forget" is censored ?