Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 07-26-2021, 05:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1965gp View Post
Took it to pick up my daughter from cheer practice this evening. About 15 miles round trip? Car got up to about 195 but on the open roads at 50-55 the temp didn’t drop at all. Not once. I’m thinking that (as others have said) the shroud definitely restricts the natural air flow
Yep, that's exactly what I expected you would see.

It's unfortunate because the dual electric fan setup is such a clean looking piece when installed, frees up a little HP and frees up space in the engine compartment. But....if it's not doing the job it's gotta go.

There are some really good dual electric fan setups on the market that work as intended, they get a little spendy though. But after I swapped dad's car over to his factory shroud and clutch fan, and the temps immediately dropped 20-25 degrees, he had no more interest in experimenting with electric fans and decided to leave the car well enough alone.

https://youtu.be/XqEydRRRwqE
Old 07-26-2021, 05:52 PM
Senior Chief

Should ask if you have the stock 195F thermostat ? Personally I use 160F in non computer cars and 180F in computer cars. Also like fast opening Stant Superstats & reprogram computer cars for fans to start at 182F and be all in by 190F.

Old 07-27-2021, 09:38 AM

1965gp - If you need to (or want to) run electric fans and have the budget consider having a shroud made. If you can produce accurate drawings and measurements, finding a local fab shop that can do it for a reasonable price shouldn't be too hard.

I have a Cold Case radiator and was running a OEM dual fan with a Derale controller. The OEM shroud sat on the core and blocked more air than it moved, and I experienced the same results as you. I had a custom shroud made that is 1" deep, covers and seals the entire core, and I put two 12" Spals on it. I auto-crossed the car a couple of weeks ago in low to mid 90 degree weather, and it never went over 180 at the water crossover. It barely gets there in normal driving (city or highway) on the hottest days.

180 degree thermostat
cast water pump impeller - clearanced to divider plate
no AC
ported vacuum

Old 07-27-2021, 09:56 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Fowke View Post
1965gp - If you need to (or want to) run electric fans and have the budget consider having a shroud made. If you can produce accurate drawings and measurements, finding a local fab shop that can do it for a reasonable price shouldn't be too hard.
Ledfoot Racing makes one for dual 14" fans for a '70 GTO.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 07-27-2021, 12:05 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thanks guys- I am leaving this week for Norwalk but within the next week I should have it swapped over to a factory fan set up. I don’t need or really even want to have electric fans on it- I actually thought it would be better but with the shroud design it’s proving that isn’t the case

Old 07-28-2021, 11:17 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I may be late to the party here, but I had the same experience with the cold case radiator/electric fans/shroud. Beautiful looking piece, and gave me a bunch more room under the hood. But it would not keep the car cool no matter what I did. So I dumped the electric fans/shroud and went back to a clutch fan and it cooled right back down. On a related note, I have a full fan/shroud/controller setup for sale!

Old 07-28-2021, 12:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I should note that in regards to my comment above, I have the Cold Case radiator still installed, and it is awesome. I just ditched their fans.

Old 07-28-2021, 01:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Formulajones View Post
Yep, that's exactly what I expected you would see.

It's unfortunate because the dual electric fan setup is such a clean looking piece when installed, frees up a little HP and frees up space in the engine compartment. But....if it's not doing the job it's gotta go.

There are some really good dual electric fan setups on the market that work as intended, they get a little spendy though. But after I swapped dad's car over to his factory shroud and clutch fan, and the temps immediately dropped 20-25 degrees, he had no more interest in experimenting with electric fans and decided to leave the car well enough alone.
Hey Larry,
I've completed my testing with the 2 row cold case that I told you I was swapping in for the defective 4 core aluminum. Using the flex-a-lite's is not an issue and runs just as cool as the 4 core aluminum. Now when your dad see's this, I know he's a power junky, he has the option to use the flex-a-lite's like we talked about. Yeah, I know, I probably just gave you another project to do.... now get that car painted so you can help your old man out... lol

Old 07-28-2021, 01:27 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If the Flexalite shroud mounts directly to the core with the plastic ties, that's a deal breaker for me. I think the vibration reduces the life of the radiator.

'55 Chevy Bel Air Sport Coupe - Ram Jet 350 / T56 Magnum 6spd, Restomod Completed Sept. 2012, Sold Sept. 2021 PHOTO
Old 07-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
If the Flexalite shroud mounts directly to the core with the plastic ties, that's a deal breaker for me. I think the vibration reduces the life of the radiator.
And mounting that way also dramatically reduces the surface area with which air is pulled through the radiator. Any area of the radiator that is not directly underneath the fan will not have air pulled through when moving at slower speeds.

1966 Pontiac GTO (restoration thread)
1998 BMW 328is (track rat)
2023 Subaru Crosstrek Limited (daily)
View my photos: Caught in the Wild
Old 07-28-2021, 01:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger1 View Post
It does not mount to the radiator with plastic ties.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Hey Larry,
I've completed my testing with the 2 row cold case that I told you I was swapping in for the defective 4 core aluminum. Using the flex-a-lite's is not an issue and runs just as cool as the 4 core aluminum. Now when your dad see's this, I know he's a power junky, he has the option to use the flex-a-lite's like we talked about. Yeah, I know, I probably just gave you another project to do.... now get that car painted so you can help your old man out... lol
Holy Cow someone delete this post before dad sees it !!
Just what I need is more work to do

Sounds like it worked out for you

I'll email you some pics of current progress

Old 07-28-2021, 02:23 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeGermanHam View Post
And mounting that way also dramatically reduces the surface area with which air is pulled through the radiator. Any area of the radiator that is not directly underneath the fan will not have air pulled through when moving at slower speeds.
Getting the right size assembly for your particular radiator is important. The flex-a-lite's I've used are the ones that have porting in the chassis of the fan assembly. For slow speed the flaps close, although I would challenge anyone to think you'd pull air obviously in that area but it doesn't matter as the fan(s) surface area covers most of the radiator and should be more than sufficient to keep the car cool. Needless to say if it doesn't more than likely there's a different issue such as too small or clogged radiator, water pump plate with extreme gap, etc.

Old 07-28-2021, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

LOL, you're just part of my amusement today., I'm sure you'll return the favor somehow!

Old 07-28-2021, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Old 07-28-2021, 02:50 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:

Hmmm, have to check this out. I need some pics.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Factory radiator and shroud. 7 blade factory fan with an HD clutch. 180 degree Stant SuperStat. The 455 stays within a few degrees +- of the thermostat's rating.
I also drill a couple of small holes in the stat for filling ease.
I ran a colder (160?) thermostat a while back (years) and the engine bay always seemed oddly cool when I opened the hood.

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 07-28-2021, 03:49 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO JONES View Post
Hmmm, have to check this out. I need some pics.
Your son has pics on his phone, guess he's been holding out for months... lol

Old 07-28-2021, 03:55 PM
Senior Chief

Quote:
Originally Posted by torqhead View Post
Your son has pics on his phone, guess he's been holding out for months... lol
Well, I'll have to have a talk with him. LOL.

Old 07-28-2021, 03:56 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Oh great, cats out of the bag now