Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Old 04-13-2021, 02:47 PM

Default Cast iron distributor gear

Hi,

I bought a cast iron comp cam kit for my '66 389.
Correct me if I am wrong, but understand that I need either a cast or composite distributor gear for that cam.
Anybody have a tipp, where I can find a cast one? Why is it that hard to find one?

Even was on the "tech" support line but I feel that guy had no clue about the whole issue. I'm wondering why even Summit, Ames or Comp would offer a cast iron gear?

Can anybody shed some light here?

Thanks
TJ

Last edited by Dailydriver; 04-13-2021 at 03:17 PM.
Old 04-13-2021, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Have used the stock GM distributors with cast iron cams for over 40 years with zero issues and 100's of thousands of miles. Why not run the distributor as-is with its factory gear?

Old 04-13-2021, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by geeteeohguy View Post
Have used the stock GM distributors with cast iron cams for over 40 years with zero issues and 100's of thousands of miles. Why not run the distributor as-is with its factory gear?
This.

All the factory Pontiac V8 cams were cast iron. Use the stock distributor gear.

There are also some aftermarket steel roller cams available with a cast iron gear pressed on so you can retain the factory distributor gear.

Old 04-13-2021, 03:16 PM

Okay, I probably missed mentioning that I don't want to use the current one any more. Had a cam failure and the gear doesn't look good. Don't want to ruin my freshly rebuild engine.
Also, engine rebuild books recommends using a new distributor gear with a new cam.

I am totally okay with using a bone stock cast iron gear. I just can't find one!
I am from out of the country so I need to order online...

Thanks
TJ

Old 04-13-2021, 03:37 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Look at the parts for sale on this forum or on ebay. A stock used distributor for a Pontiac V8 is not expensive...someone here would likely send you a gear if you covered postage. It's an easy install, just keep the dot on the gear shaft consistent when you change gears. Last time I had the 250,000 plus mile distributor and the 160,000 mile distributor out out of my '67 and '65 GTO's for a freshen-up, the gears showed no wear.

Old 04-13-2021, 04:07 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

https://butlerperformance.com/i-3164...tegory:1234748

Old 04-13-2021, 06:09 PM
Ultimate Warrior

For added insurance if your motor is out of the car pull out the rear oil galley steel plug and remove the oil galley pug it’s self that is in front of the distributor gear and drill a .030” to .040” hole on it to positively lube those two gears.

Only do this if the galley has been cleaned out from a rebuild and the associated hot job on the block.

1) 1940s 100% silver 4 cup tea server set.

Two dry rotted 14 x 10 Micky Thompson slicks.

1) un-mailed in gift coupon from a 1972 box of corn flakes.
Two pairs of brown leather flip flops, never seen more then 2 mph.

Education is what your left with once you forget things!
Old 04-14-2021, 04:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems like there is some confusion on what gear is cast iron. Flat tappet cams are cast iron as Bart said above, and standard distributor gears are steel. The goal is to have dissimilar metals so they don't gall. Steel distributor gear on cast iron cam is proper, steel distributor gear on steel roller cam is going to fail in short order. Doubt you will find a cast iron distributor gear available anyway. A steel, bronze, or composite gear will work fine on a cast iron flat tappet cam with the last two being a waste of money since they are not needed, but they won't do harm.

Old 04-14-2021, 08:52 AM

Thanks Lust4speed! That's what Butler also recommended (Steel gear for cast camshaft)
What threw me off was an (older) tech video from Comp Cams recommending cast iron gear or composite (see this video at around 2:30)

I also want to go with drilling the hidden plug. Always read the recommended 0,03 in - never saw 0,04 in. as recommended size. anybody used 0,04 and still good with lubrication / oil pressure?

Thanks!

Old 04-14-2021, 03:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

After receiving a private message I did some further research, and right now I'm simply confused. Basically, you can find every description under the sun doing an internet search for what gear to run with different camshafts. I would suggest at this point that it would be best to call the cam manufacturer and ask for their recommendation for their specific cam you are running. It also seems that many of the distributor gears referred to as steel are actually cast iron. Case in point is that some of MSD distributor gears carried by Summit state that the gears are steel, but MSD specs list them as cast iron on their website. I'm convinced at this point that many sellers don't know what they are selling, and therefore are a poor choice in researching information.

The one point that was held through most of the research is that the distributor gear should be the sacrificial gear since it is relatively easy and cheaper to replace than replacing the cam. After that, things get pretty muddy. It also seems that the exception to galling with similar metals is that cast iron gear to cast iron gear works fine.

Old 04-14-2021, 04:16 PM

I find it mind-boggling that apparently there is is still such a fog around this topic. Even the Comp Cam tech hotline was a desaster, the guy was simply recommending what they had on the shelf (bronze, which is definitely wrong) and finally told me I should talk to Butler.

Both your statements, (ususally selecting the gear weaker than the cam and that cast iron typically works with cast iron) go along with my thoughts / what I learned.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:36 PM
Pontiac Performance Author

This is too easy. Invoke the K.I.S.S. principal. If the 14,624,866 Pontiac V8s were built with cast iron cams and the stock distributor gears work, then it doesn't matter what you call the gear material. Use the stock gear.

Old 04-15-2021, 02:42 PM

Hey Ken, you got a link to a new stock Pontiac distributor gear?
I am all with you, I believe in what GM did over time! I just need to find - that - part!

Old 04-15-2021, 03:25 PM

Pontiac P/N 801200. H-O had them cad plated for better wear and break in . RA4 gears were done this way.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:34 PM

nospartsfromthepast.com.

Old 04-15-2021, 03:49 PM

Ken, thanks for the part number. Shows up fitting '67-'75. Can't imagine why anything should have changed in 1967 compared to 66 but still I hate when I order stuff that clearly says not fitting my engine

Old 04-15-2021, 04:03 PM

Ignore it. GET THE GEAR.

Old 04-16-2021, 03:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dailydriver View Post
Ken, thanks for the part number. Shows up fitting '67-'75. Can't imagine why anything should have changed in 1967 compared to 66 but still I hate when I order stuff that clearly says not fitting my engine
1966 and earlier cast iron distributors uses a smaller retainer pin for the gear.
1967 and later gear can be used if hole in 1966 and earlier shaft is drilled to proper pin size.

http://gtoaa.org/
Old 04-16-2021, 12:10 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEN CROCIE View Post
...RA4 gears were done this way.

My original distributor gear in my 67 H.O. engine was also cad plated. Believe the service manual stated that all gears with the 60 PSI pump were plated.

Old 04-16-2021, 01:59 PM

you are correct LFS.
you are correct Kenth
applying the K.I. S.S. principal, none of this matters to D.D. Assuming some mechanical aptitude on D.D.s part