Pontiac - Boost Turbo, supercharged, Nitrous, EFI & other Power Adders discussed here.

Old 12-27-2017, 03:17 PM
Boost Engineer

Default A nice PM that Charlie 66 sent me

(and my reply)

Hello Tom! I hope you had a very enjoyable Christmas ..

I wanted to tell you that while watching a seminar of Gale Banks he mentioned your name . He called you a student that sent him an email that had become the director of Forced Inductions at Ford motor company. He said you emailed him a dyno sheet of a twin turbo v6 , that it turns out it was a Eco boost . Then he said " Of course he rawhided me because it was a 100 more horse then we did with a production engine at Buick with a 3.8" haha.

Thought you might get a kick out of that! So you out did Ole Gale Banks him self! Not bad Tom!

Tom V.

My reply:

I never had any formal classes with Gale Banks when he taught classes at GMI (General Motors Institute (in Flint, Michigan). I always said I was "His Student" as he started Boosting several years before me. So he still uses that in presentations occasionally. So it is almost true.

Again, he is bragging me up more than necessary. I never was a Director in the Ford Motor Company. (that would be like a Vice President Level position).
I directed Ford Research Boosting Projects and Advanced Vehicle Boosting projects, that is true.

I DID send him that dyno sheet. And the EcoBoost engine was the same size as his Buick Turbo V-6 engine so a fair comparison.

He has mentioned me in several of his presentations over the years. Very Nice man and a good guy to learn about Bonneville Salt Flats racing from.

Thanks Charlie.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-27-2017, 05:31 PM
Boost Engineer

He and Hugh Macinnis came to Dearborn, Michigan give a Turbo Presentation to Ford Research People on Turbocharging.

He was doing contract work with Buick at the time.

After the Presentation, I was the only guy who showed any interest in Boosting Technology in the presentation theater. He remembered that deal and me apparently.

So yes, I did listen to him when we did the 1979 Turbo Mustang and when I did every boosted engine project after that. He could see the future.

When you win Le Mans with a V-6 engine and beat up all of the other racers on your first racing year after not racing for 50 years, that was pretty nice.

Never would have expected to be mentioned in a video on the internet many years later.

Tom V.

Despite small distractions, there are those who will go Forward, Learning, Sharing Knowledge, Doing what they can to help others move forward.
Old 12-27-2017, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That was a very informative seminar. Was cool hearing him mention your name to Tom.. I learned a lot about "MAD" verse boost , as he called it ..

He's coming out with some really cool stuff with intercooling ....

Old 12-27-2017, 10:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Congrats Tom! Very cool to have Mr Banks mention you in great praise. I can't wait to see his Ecoboost Mustang. He is the reason I have an 83 trans am, and love turbos.

very cool!

https://youtu.be/eMusa5hZxtk?t=1h12m9s
for those that would like to see it.