Old 09-21-2005, 02:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Question '69 Ram Air pan question

I'm a '68 GTO owner but found this pan in the trunk of my car when I bought it. I think it's an original part but I know they are being reproduced now. All I need to know is if there is any significant difference or way to tell this from a repop pan. Any markings etc.? I just sandblasted it this morning and plan to paint it. Don't know yet what I'll do with it after that.

Old 09-21-2005, 03:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid
I'm a '68 GTO owner but found this pan in the trunk of my car when I bought it. I think it's an original part but I know they are being reproduced now. All I need to know is if there is any significant difference or way to tell this from a repop pan. Any markings etc.? I just sandblasted it this morning and plan to paint it. Don't know yet what I'll do with it after that.
Hi Greg, What you have there is a 1970 (Due to the extra dimple for the anticipated Holley carb) RAIII lower pan. I would say that you are correct in assuming that it is original. The rubber plug is still in it as well as the thermal sensor. Please let me know if you want to sell it. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2005, 04:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Greg:
Another reason that is probably an original is the remnants of the seal shows tear drop shaped holes (around the preheat hole)

It has only been in the last few years that the correct shaped foam seal was reproduced. The previous reproduction had round holes and correct original GM’s have not been available for 25+ years.

Brian

Old 09-21-2005, 04:33 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thanks, I knew I came to the right place. If I do decide to sell it in the immediate future, I'll let you know Uncle Judge.

Old 09-21-2005, 10:44 PM

Default tear drop foam seal

brians...do u know who is selling the teardrop shaped seal...my round holed seal is aging, when I replace I'd like to use the correct repro. I've only seen round holed seals for sale. Thanks!

Old 09-21-2005, 11:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I WOULD ALSO BE WILLING TO BUY IT AT YOUR PRICE IF YOUR SELLING IT.

Old 09-21-2005, 11:35 PM

I'll check Ames..local 2 me. Maybe have 2 shop around though!

Old 09-22-2005, 03:18 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Reid
Thanks, I knew I came to the right place. If I do decide to sell it in the immediate future, I'll let you know Uncle Judge.
Thank you Greg. I appreciate the shot at the pan at anytime in the future. Take care.

Old 09-23-2005, 12:22 AM

Default RAM AIR FOAM AND CARB TUB

TRY WARPATH RESTORATION PARTS OR EBAY UNDER SELLER RAMAIRBRI. THAT PAN MAY NOT BE A ORIGNAL. THE 69 REPRODUCTION CARB PAN HAS THE PROVISION TO USE A HOLLY CARB. THE 70 PAN HAS A HOLE IN IT FOR THE CARB VENT TUBE.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

This pan does have the vent hole. It's right next to the thermal sensor. Unless I'm mistaken about the purpose of that particular hole. It has a rubber stopper in it in this photo. There's another rubber stopper on the breather as well. It's at about the 7 o'clock position in this photo.

Old 09-23-2005, 06:35 PM
Ultimate Warrior

brians should be the same as the eBay seller (I can promote if I want to).

Old 10-01-2005, 11:45 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've not heard back from any of the people who asked about this pan. Not making any accusations. I've had trouble with topic reply notifications and such. Could be that they are having problems too.
Just wanted to give warning before I put this thing on eVILbay tomorrow night.
Thanks again for the information passed on. It was a big help!

Old 05-02-2007, 10:42 PM
Senior Chief

Default Ram Air Foam

Hi Brians I just purchased a new foam seal for the lower pan. I have the old one still on but they are round. It lasted about 15 years. I noticed this tread and wanted to know which way the tear drop faces. The front of the car or the back. Thanks in advance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by brians
Greg:
Another reason that is probably an original is the remnants of the seal shows tear drop shaped holes (around the preheat hole)

It has only been in the last few years that the correct shaped foam seal was reproduced. The previous reproduction had round holes and correct original GM’s have not been available for 25+ years.

Brian