THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 03-02-2016, 08:43 PM
Ultimate Warrior

There was an interesting story on the local news tonight:

HOPKINS, Minn. - Mill City Sound has a trove of hidden gems. There are thousands of records music lovers can thumb through. And then there's owner Rob Sheely's music vault downstairs with brand new shelves for records he still can’t believe he owns.

“Here's a Temptations,” Sheely said holding up the band’s vinyl record. “This is from the 60's you shouldn't find this this way...they just shouldn't exist.”

In January, he hauled home 100,000 unopened records from a basement in Texas. Their existence is thanks to a record store owner in Big Spring, Texas who never sent back his unsold records. Instead he kept them in his basement for more than thirty years. When the owner died the records were passed down to his children who found Sheeley.

“I called my wife right away and she said I had to sit down because I was hyperventilating I was going to fall down,” he said.

There are so many records Sheeley hasn't been able to sort them all. The ones he has are on the wall in his store and customers are taking notice, even the young ones.

“They want to buy a record and they love the album cover and the ability of putting it on and turning it over and putting a needle on,” he said.

Sheeley plans to expand the store so he can display for albums this spring.

http://www.kare11.com/news/100000-un...store/64991083

Old 03-03-2016, 10:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

It occurred to me that an Internet radio station I listen to may pique someone's interest. It's called 3WK "Underground" (they have several 3WK stations) and I can find it in iTunes, but if you're Internet-ignorant, try their website:

http://www.3wk.com

They play a lot of stuff I've read about but never heard, and there's always something new that piques my interest. The other day, I heard a Jackie Lomax song - his name struck me as a Brit that may have been big in the UK but may not have factored in the Brit Invasion. I looked him up in Wiki and he even was living in the US at one time, but he never found much commercial success after the mid-60s, although he was a scenester that knew just about everyone.

On a related note, yesterday I discovered an Apple Records documentary on Hulu, and they have extensive interviews with him.

Old 03-08-2016, 03:15 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart View Post

HOPKINS, Minn. - Mill City Sound has a trove of hidden gems. There are thousands of records music lovers can thumb through. And then there's owner Rob Sheely's music vault downstairs with brand new shelves for records he still can’t believe he owns.

“Here's a Temptations,” Sheely said holding up the band’s vinyl record. “This is from the 60's you shouldn't find this this way...they just shouldn't exist.”

In January, he hauled home 100,000 unopened records from a basement in Texas. Their existence is thanks to a record store owner in Big Spring, Texas who never sent back his unsold records. Instead he kept them in his basement for more than thirty years. When the owner died the records were passed down to his children who found Sheeley.

“I called my wife right away and she said I had to sit down because I was hyperventilating I was going to fall down,” he said.

There are so many records Sheeley hasn't been able to sort them all. The ones he has are on the wall in his store and customers are taking notice, even the young ones.

“They want to buy a record and they love the album cover and the ability of putting it on and turning it over and putting a needle on,” he said.

I wonder what he had to pay for that monster lot of new vinyl.

Old 03-08-2016, 05:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:

Great story, thanks for posting.

Yes, I'd be curious what he paid for that haul. Stories like this always make it seem like the owner gave the stuff away, and this guy was the lucky recipient.

Diego, I listen to Little Steven's Underground Garage from time to time. He always plays interesting stuff, some of it is by well known artists, but nothing you've ever heard on the radio before. Deep, deep cuts.

I was stunned one night when I heard "Brown Sugar" (The Rolling Stones) covered by Little Richard in 1971.

Mike

My Bio: I am currently writing articles for POCI's Smoke Signals magazine and enjoy promoting and discussing the history of the Pontiac Motor Division.
Old 03-08-2016, 05:08 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The news report didn't mention how much the guy paid for all those records but he indicated it wasn't cheap. He's going to have to sell a bunch of them to make a profit.

Old 03-09-2016, 04:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

During the interview I didn't exactly see any high dollar albums that he landed. Sealed original albums are great but if nobody wants them....

Old 03-09-2016, 08:42 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmdclassics View Post
During the interview I didn't exactly see any high dollar albums that he landed. Sealed original albums are great but if nobody wants them....

Old 04-14-2016, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

My favorite guitar player is the late Duane Allman. My favorite record is Allman Brothers at Fillmore East (with Duane of course). I wore out a tan label Capricorn (later issue) and found a replacement that was amazingly a pink label original in great shape. Then a couple months later found a second nice pink label in a bin, so have a back up. So was not looking for any more in spite of loving it..... yesterday found a DJ one in a bin, rough cover a bit, but really nice vinyl on promo white label. So here ya go, was played on FM before Duane passed. The DJ circled cuts on the label they liked, and written on sticker on cover is "All Great".... ya, right on

as an FYI... the special price deal on sticker was due to Duane insisting the fans get a double album for the price of one, the record company fought and he held tight....

Old 05-02-2016, 09:57 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Almost lost this thread (after cleaning out my emails) which would be a real shame IMHO...

Any who....check this out and crank it...

http://youtu.be/75-gcaA850g

I was "a day late and dollar short" on purchase of techniques turntable and "had to" settled for AT clone of same in pic.

Enjoy the tight vinyl snap crackle and pop!

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	120
Size:	56.2 KB
ID:	427615  

Old 05-02-2016, 10:02 PM
Suspended

Thumbs up

Which naturally led me down the Frankenstein rabbit trail...

http://youtu.be/P8f-Qb-bwlU

Old 05-08-2016, 09:35 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

It's not 100,000 or even close, but I found another 6,500 on CL in a small town about 70 miles from here. Parents had passed and kids didn't want to just throw them away so they would give them away to anyone who'd come up and pick them up. They wouldn't take any money for them, but just want them to go to a collector that would take care of them and keep the collection together, which eliminated all record stores.

All big band, jazz, classical and blues so right up my alley.

I've only gone through a few of the albums and so far everything is in real good shape. This genre, used, is generally in good shape. I've seen quite a few new, sealed, unplayed.

I already had 14,000 so it won't likely be in my lifetime that I get through these and a bunch will likely be duplication of what I already have. However, 20,000+ albums is a whole big bunch and I dread the day when/if I move again.

Old 05-08-2016, 09:40 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alvin View Post
Almost lost this thread (after cleaning out my emails) which would be a real shame IMHO...

Any who....check this out and crank it...

http://youtu.be/75-gcaA850g

I was "a day late and dollar short" on purchase of techniques turntable and "had to" settled for AT clone of same in pic.

Enjoy the tight vinyl snap crackle and pop!

"Enjoy the tight vinyl snap crackle and pop!"

I'll say it again, and I'll sound like a broken record, but you don't have to have any of the above. Good record cleaning machine and an antistatic brush such as the Mapleshade (which you ground into the 3rd prong in an outlet) and you might be amazed by how quiet this stuff really is.

Sure, I've got a few that are noisy and nothing will quiet them down, but that's the exception.

Old 05-08-2016, 10:37 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Here's the latest amplifier output of my turntable. Upon 1st power-up had Jangs Gang THIRDS going through these direct-filament triodes and tweaked the grid impedance to filament ground until it was pushin and puling about 70W/channel.

150 uF hidden below to smooth out the 640 Volts DC.

Still await a couple ceramic plate caps and the correct RCA input jacks. Otherwise done.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	77.7 KB
ID:	427986  

Old 05-09-2016, 11:05 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 61 389-348 View Post
It's not 100,000 or even close, but I found another 6,500 on CL in a small town about 70 miles from here........
All big band, jazz, classical and blues so right up my alley.

I already had 14,000 so it won't likely be in my lifetime that I get through these and a bunch will likely be duplication of what I already have. However, 20,000+ albums is a whole big bunch and I dread the day when/if I move again.

If somehow you get to digging in these, I would be very, very interested in any Albert King, Freddie King or others of the old genre blues you have extra's or don't want. Also Motown and Memphis.... I'd even help inventory

Old 05-09-2016, 11:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post
Here's the latest amplifier output of my turntable. Upon 1st power-up had Jangs Gang THIRDS going through these direct-filament triodes and tweaked the grid impedance to filament ground until it was pushin and puling about 70W/channel.

Still await a couple ceramic plate caps and the correct RCA input jacks. Otherwise done.
That is sweet!

Was there a schematic you followed to make that?

Old 05-09-2016, 02:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Half-Inch Stud View Post

yowza!

Old 05-09-2016, 07:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by rohrt View Post
That is sweet!

Was there a schematic you followed to make that?
The schematic has been in my head for about 35 years. I left the preamps out; good move as these are high gain Triodes; reaching 70 Watts for 0.5 to 1 Watt input drive.

Old 05-10-2016, 12:55 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bird72 View Post
If somehow you get to digging in these, I would be very, very interested in any Albert King, Freddie King or others of the old genre blues you have extra's or don't want. Also Motown and Memphis.... I'd even help inventory
I've also had boxes that I've moved from place to place without opening for decades. I'm trying to clean out a storage unit that I have here in Ohio and Sunday night I found My Sequerra Metronome 7 Mk2s, DCM Time Windows, two SAE 2400Ls, Phase 700b and an Ampzilla That I don't remember ever owning. I thought I had long ago sold off that stuff.

I brought the Mets home because that wouldn't distract me as much as the other stuff that will need a rebuilding to at least replaced caps. Plus for business I have a detroit trip coming up then Florida and Texas then California for business and staying through the Cali Audio show in Newport, June 5-8.

I figured I'll get to the albums next winter. I'm sure I have Albert King and Freddie King plus many other old blues in my current collection that I've had since forever. Once I get started on this second collection, I figure that I'll have plenty of duplicates. Even the collection I had got out of order and I have to straighten all of that out and reorganize so I have a big mess when I got to look for something that I know I have

Old 05-10-2016, 02:43 PM
Senior Chief

Just received my new Cheap Trick album yesterday. Nice thick vinyl. Can't beat the sound!