Pontiac Business Entities Exchange Sources, Compliments and Grievances in regard to Pontiac parts or services rendered by an individual or business.

Closed Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 06:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default Strelka Built

If you are going to purchase valve covers from Mark at Strelka, be cautious of how much cash you lay out when ordering. I prepaid back in early March over $500.00 and have yet to see the ordered valve covers. He promised me on several occasions that he was shipping that very week yet never did due to a plethera of reasons. I am also mad at my self as I normally would offer a "down payment" with the rest due on confirmation of shipping. Everyone here and on other boards spoke very highly of Mark so I wasn't worried. So five months later I will chalk this up to experience and order a set from another supplier. I have sent him numerous emails and have phoned to no avail. First time in the Pontiac hobby that this has happened to me.

Old 07-22-2007, 06:24 PM
Suspended

Sounds like this could be another Tri-Y headers con. Back a couple of years ago there were a bunch of people in the Pontiac community that spoke highly of Tri-Y's owner and how honest and forthright he was. He ended up being a crook and skipped out with a lot of guys money who paid for them in advance. When some fly-by-night that makes a product in his garage part time, chances are they are here today and gone tomorrow with lots of other peoples cash in their pockets.:gag:

Last edited by Billy Ray; 07-22-2007 at 07:17 PM.
Old 07-23-2007, 01:30 AM

I feel your pain 02hawk. I haven't heard from Mark in almost a month. It was really weird, we talked every other day in discussing my cad drawings for my engravings, then I told him to charge my card as he had sent me the engraving file for me to approve and after that he has disapeared without a trace. Won't return my voice or emails. I know that ALOT of guys here have had him build valve covers. Guess I thought I would be treated the same.

I read in another post that he is having "family issues".

All I want him to do is to give me the courtesy of a phone call. I dont even care if he tells me it will be another month, just the decency of a phone call would be great at this point.

I am about a week away from contacting the county attorney, the attorney general and the BBB. Like I say, all I want at this point is a phone call, he owes me that at a minimum

Old 07-23-2007, 08:13 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Guys knowing how much time goes into making a set. I can understand why it's a long wait. I put 40 hours into a set. That's after engraving brushed finish etc. With everything Mark has done I'm sure he's not going to leave you out in the cold.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlbluebird
Guys knowing how much time goes into making a set. I can understand why it's a long wait. I put 40 hours into a set. That's after engraving brushed finish etc. With everything Mark has done I'm sure he's not going to leave you out in the cold.

I too am a small business owner (I am an architectural designer), on average, I spend 60-70 hours to design a home and 180-240 hours to complete that homes construction document set (plans).......I currently have 6 projects in the conceptual design phase, 4 more that I am completing construction documents on, 1 project that I am co-construction managing and 7 projects that are currently under construction that I field calls to answer the questions of 32 trade contractors from. Then you add time spent in quickbooks, at various city's for hours on end meeting with planners, applying for building permits or just flat-out arguing with zoning department officials.

My typical day starts at 7:00 am and ends at 1:00-2:00 am, with a couple of hours around dinner time spent with the wife and our kids) (about 78-82 hours a week) 6 days a week, week in and week out.

I still find time to answer or reply to each and every client voice or email ON THE SAME DAY that I get it, ( or engineers, trade contractors, realtors, appraisers, etc.).........Come on, there is NO excuse to not keep your client/customer informed of the progress and expected completion date, no matter if we are talking about a $500 set of valve covers or a $27K set of construction documents

Mark seems like a really, really nice guy, but that is not what I paid him for. I paid him to build valve covers. No matter what is going on, or what excuse he may be offering, it's just bad business in my book.

Old 07-23-2007, 03:10 PM

I have had mine ordred since late October payed for via credit card 11/02/06 still no covers have sent a fue emails some replyed to some not. With his vary good rep on the sight I was willing to give the bennifit of the dought but there seem to be at least 6 people that I know of that are owed covers. I really dont have a problem if Mark is having some personal problems we have all been there what I do have a issue with is the problems have not stoped him from taking other peoples money and not making the covers.

my 2 cents I would still really rather have the covers over my money back but at this point I would be happy with eather

Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM

I feel the same way BlueGTO. I have as much empathy as the next guy and can totally understand if he is a bind, but there is NO REASON he can't pick up the phone or send an email!

If I would have had any idea that more than a few guys have been waiting for their covers since the end of '06 I would have went elsewhere to have mine built! I do think his covers are 300% better than any others I have seen.........but if you never get to put them on your motor quality doesn't matter!!!

Anybody else on the forum waiting for valve covers and not getting replies to phone calls and emails?

Old 07-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

$500 for VALVE COVERS.

Say what?

The reason for the delay is that metal is so special (hence the price) it's only found in a special mine deep in the jungle....

Old 07-23-2007, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

http://forums.maxperformanceinc.com/...strelka+covers

It looked like this thread had clarified some of the issues, did it not?

'74 ventura, (Fired july 14/06) '74 462 4-bolt (9.5-1), SCAT, Ross, T-II w/850DP (shaker455), TH350, Conti 10'' 3800, Supercomps, Magnaflow, 3'' Pypes, 3.73's, 28x13.5-15 ET streets.

1970 Beismeyer 17' flatbottom vdrive, 11.8:1 455P, ported heads, dual Qjet tunnel ram.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad B. Hillebrand
$500 for VALVE COVERS.

Say what?

The reason for the delay is that metal is so special (hence the price) it's only found in a special mine deep in the jungle....
Brad, seriously.. What do you make in a 40 hr. week. At $500.00 including materials thats pretty good in my books.
There are only a few of us who are capable of doing this specialized work. I myself have always stayed in contact with my customers giving them updates all the time.
I've been so busy myself I promised my wife I wouldn't make any more sets until fall.
There is no profit margine in making these. I have always attested to that. I do it for the hobby itself. Also the look of a Pontiac with big @ss covers is :cool: in my books.
I myself have never spoken to Mark Strelka or met the man. After seeing some of his work, I'd say I have respect for the guy. If and only if he makes good on your valve covers on back order.
Do you guys remember what my covers are like ? If not let me know and I'll start another thread.
I've always said myself. The Pontiac world is really quite small and I would not want any bad press on my covers.
Does Mark not have a phone # where he can be reached ?

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Deryck speaks the truth. I ordered a set from him in mid march and received them in early June. I would have received them sooner but some family issues came up on his end and there was an unfortunate mistake made in the engraving which resulted in starting all over again. To Deryck's credit as soon as the mistake was pointed out he immediately said he would have to start again without any attempt at getting me to absorb some of the cost.

There were a couple of fitting issues in my 69 GTO due to the Booster, Windshield motor and my altenator. Nothing that some fabricating along with the purchase of a smaller booster couldn't rectify.

All being said I'm extreemly happy with the covers that he made for me. Seeing the effort and skill that's involved along with the cost of materials today $500 is not out of line.

I hope everybody gets what they paid for from Mark. For those that are interested I would highly recommend Deryck. Here's some pics of his work. As you can see from the pics Deryck kept me updated pretty much through the whole process. I wouldn't hesitate to do business with him again.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Valve Cover 2.JPG
Views:	190
Size:	25.8 KB
ID:	99045   Click image for larger version

Name:	Finished Valve Cover.JPG
Views:	212
Size:	25.5 KB
ID:	99046   Click image for larger version

Name:	PIC_0058.JPG
Views:	233
Size:	49.2 KB
ID:	99047   Click image for larger version

Name:	Sig 3.jpg
Views:	297
Size:	44.3 KB
ID:	99048   Click image for larger version

Name:	Valve Covers.JPG
Views:	240
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	99049  

Old 07-23-2007, 07:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

If I had a business that makes valve covers and the demand was so great that it took months to get a set done I would first feel blessed then work like mad to get additional staff and resources to meet demand. That's how business operates. If you have demand and don't meet it, you’re out of business. These guys are supposed to have CNC machines so given that for any custom engraving and metal shaping it takes 40 hours to weld up a set? Were not talking about specialized oil pans with custom baffles and trays, it’s a cover. I am not a welder, but I guess it will not take near that long to weld a set.

If the person is the sole operator of the business then that business plan needs to have alternative resources in order to stay in business ...considering if the operator is in some way unable to perform the work. Taking a payment as mentioned then not delivering is a problem.

Sorry, but $500 for a set of covers is to me outrageous – especially if it takes months to get the part.

Old 07-23-2007, 07:37 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad B. Hillebrand
If I had a business that makes valve covers and the demand was so great that it took months to get a set done I would first feel blessed then work like mad to get additional staff and resources to meet demand. That's how business operates. If you have demand and don't meet it, you’re out of business. These guys are supposed to have CNC machines so given that for any custom engraving and metal shaping it takes 40 hours to weld up a set? Were not talking about specialized oil pans with custom baffles and trays, it’s a cover. I am not a welder, but I guess it will not take near that long to weld a set.

If the person is the sole operator of the business then that business plan needs to have alternative resources in order to stay in business ...considering if the operator is in some way unable to perform the work. Taking a payment as mentioned then not delivering is a problem.

Sorry, but $500 for a set of covers is to me outrageous – especially if it takes months to get the part.
Sorry Brad,
but like Mark Strelka this is a side venture. For the money involved in machinery is huge. You would go hungary if valve covers were your only income.
Being a custom work machine shop to tear down the set up of a job that's in production does not make economic scence. With all my CNC machines tied up sometimes for weeks. It's all i can do to squeeze jobs in. Don't get me wrong. Where I can I will make up say 50 bases at one time, etc. But there is still so much machine time for my units after welding thats where more time is.
In my opinion the best is always worth the wait.

SEE EVERYONE AT NORWALK :) :)

Old 07-23-2007, 07:44 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Robert, thanks for the kind words.:D

Old 07-23-2007, 08:41 PM
Suspended

You guys are in such denial, and you didn't even get kissed.

Tri-Y's re-visited.

I've had personal dealing with Mark, and every time I talked to him, weekly for six weeks, he flat ass lied to me. This was about a year ago (before his so called personal problems) and sounds like bad as gone to worse. I would suggest getting it touch with your credit card company and try and get a refund. Probably to late but worth a try.

Old 07-23-2007, 08:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

By the way guys. I myself never have asked for any money up front ( in advance ).
Not even a partial on any orders. Thats my :2cents:

Old 07-23-2007, 09:42 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Sorry Brad,
but like Mark Strelka this is a side venture. For the money involved in machinery is huge. You would go hungary if valve covers were your only income.
Being a custom work machine shop to tear down the set up of a job that's in production does not make economic scence. With all my CNC machines tied up sometimes for weeks. It's all i can do to squeeze jobs in. Don't get me wrong. Where I can I will make up say 50 bases at one time, etc. But there is still so much machine time for my units after welding thats where more time is.
In my opinion the best is always worth the wait.

SEE EVERYONE AT NORWALK :) :)
I agree with what you are saying. If this is a side business for Mark as stated then #1 he should not have taken up front payments and #2 should have told the customer that it's a part time deal and he'll get to it when he can - rather than set false expectations. Seems that more than one person is having the same issue.....

Old 07-23-2007, 10:39 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
By the way guys. I myself never have asked for any money up front ( in advance ).
Not even a partial on any orders. Thats my :2cents:

I can attest to this. Deryck asked for payment once the covers were ready to be shipped. I am sure that if I told Deryck I wanted to wait until I had them in my hands he wouldn;t of had an issue with it.

Old 07-23-2007, 11:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Before this thread gets out of line, i want to repeat myself. I stated that if you are considering ordering one of Mark's valve covers sets, do not pay up front like I did.
I initially contacted him by email last February. I told him my desire to order a pair. We traded emails back and forth and also had a few phone conversations. He sent me some renderings and we agreed with the logo and the finish. I asked him very clearly "when" would he be able to fill the order. He replied that he would require a week or so and then ship. That is of course when I turned into a school girl , got giddy and whipped out my credit card. My bad. I am only letting the rest of you know to be carefull when dealing with this person. He has been ignoring calls and emails. I am not blaming anyone else but myself nor am I bemoaning the fact that I am probably out $500.00. That wont tip me over into recievership, but it will add caution to my next transaction.

I still require a set of tall covers to put on my IA 541. Any suggestions. Cash on delivery though.

I did not start this post intending to slam Mark Strelka. I still believe that I have stated the facts truthfully without any personal shots. If he is having issues with family or health or finances, I don't really know or care, He should contact his customers and let them know. If he can't refund he should grow a spine and let the customer know that also. If he can't deliver he should not raise expectations and constantly tell you that he is shipping next week. Is that a Maine euphamism for next month or next year or next century? If he ahd told me I would wait 6 months then I probably would have gone to another supplier, but then again I expected honesty and didn't question his delivery times. I should have asked other PY members how long they waited etc, but I didn't , again the giddy girl syndrome I guess. The only cowboy to blame is me.

Old 07-24-2007, 01:06 AM
Suspended

02hawk
Well you should be slamming Mark Strelka and warning others about the problem. My experience is much like yours. He misrepresented (lied) about the time frame to both you and I. Fortunately I did eventually get my covers. Week after week he promised that my covers would be shipped in a couple of days. Week after week he lied straight to my face. Again, this was long before his recent so called personal problems. Finally I told him that I was contacting my credit card company to refund my money. Within a short time after that I received my covers. If MasterCard Amex or Visa get to many complaints (fraud) about a vendor they will close the account. I have a feeling that Mark might have been walking on thin ice with at least one of the major credit card providers.

Closed Thread