THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 05-02-2016, 07:52 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default New NYS Move over for Police law scares me

They recently came out with a new law in New York where if you see a police officer involved in a road stop on the shoulder ,, You should move over into the fast lane if possible. I completely understand the reason yet if I was a police officer I would be pretty un comfortable with this. Reason being most accidents happen because people are not paying attention where someone might hit the back of the car or the officer themselves. But I think that it should be considered much more likely that an accident be caused down steam of traffic by people trying to change lanes, and involving the police officer.
I wonder what others think of this, especially an officer.
I know the law states, "when possible" but people can be really bad at reacting to the situation , slowing down hard,, turning down the radio,,Trying to get over abruptly and causing an accident. Hopefully I am wrong and just worry too much. And do they have this law in other states???

Old 05-02-2016, 08:13 PM

They have a similar law in my state.

I think you worry too much.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

The same in Florida.

And the 'fast' lane is usually the slower lane here.
(at least all the old people run there at about half the speed limit)

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates
Old 05-02-2016, 08:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I think it's a pretty common law, Minnesota has it as well. It's really common sense - move over if possible to do safely, and if not stay in your lane and slow down. Emergency and police vehicles get hit more often than you may think.

Old 05-02-2016, 08:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Yeah same here. Switch lanes or slow down to like 25.

https://www.youtube.com/@CatfishMotorsports
Old 05-02-2016, 09:19 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Seems to work out pretty good here, if you cannot move over, slowing is just as acceptable.
BUT: they pull stings now & then just for revenue enhancement & I this has the potential to cause accidents. Pretty much a douche move.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You've got to be kidding me. I Move left when I see a broken down heap in the emergency lane. When I get so comatose I can't switch lanes without causing a pile up I'll let my wife drive or take Greyhound.

Old 05-02-2016, 09:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Been a law here in Georgia for a few years with no problems. They extended it this year to include utility workers; electric, gas, etc. We'll see how that one goes.

HONEST JERRY'S SPEED AND EQUIPMENT
Old 05-02-2016, 09:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Ohio and Indiana have the same law. No problems.

Eric

Life begins at the end of your comfort zone.

“The mind, once stretched by a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions.”
Old 05-02-2016, 10:12 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Same law in Missouri. I drive a semi and sometimes you can't get over. I slow down and turn on the 4 ways.

Old 05-02-2016, 10:29 PM

It's law here in Virginia also.I think it is a good idea,but was recently involved in the bad side of it as mentioned above.There was an older gentleman pulling a 22-25ft tag-a-long camper and just as he got to officer in emergency lane he decided he needed to move to left lane no matter what.He wasn't clear the car in left lane(the one I'm following,lol),so we make sudden 70mph to 30mph brake to avoid rear ending camper.Luckily we did(& didn't get rear ended,was heavy traffic too),but I was telling the old guy that the law states "make an attempt to move over",& "it's to avoid accidents not create them" I was a lil jacked up on adrenaline by then,lol ... Also Tn just passed a law for those that want to run in left lane all the time.If slower than right lane traffic,they will be ticketed.Hope Virginia adopts this one soon.Maybe Fla. will someday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Old 05-02-2016, 10:50 PM
Suspended

"Slow down you move too fast"..."feeling groovy" is part of an old Simon $ Garfunkle tune..see lights or an "official vehicle" on side of the road..move over, be safe, and go on down the road.

If where you are living is causing too much stress due to perceived repression my humble suggestion is to move to anyone of the other 49 States of the Union...seriously life is too short.

Old 05-03-2016, 12:09 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Washington passed this law a few years ago and it has caused more accidents. I get the reason for it, but people need to use something most don't have. Commen sense!!! The worst part is the Washington State Patrol will have several vehichles pulled over on left and right side of freeway causing a serious problem! STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!

Old 05-03-2016, 01:16 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Same law here in TN also.

Old 05-03-2016, 02:07 AM
formerly 'Pontiac Jack'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs-r-us View Post
... Tn just passed a law for those that want to run in left lane all the time.If slower than right lane traffic,they will be ticketed...
Umm... If I were to drive right at the speed limit in the left lane of major highways here, EVERY vehicle in the right lane would pass me. So I'm the one to get ticketed?

Old 05-03-2016, 04:17 AM

Alberta's law has us slow down to 60km/h from 100 if the lane is close to the officer. So changing lanes to avoid slowing down is common. Have not heard of any issues with it other then folks complaining about getting a ticket for doing 40 over the speed limit......

Old 05-03-2016, 05:52 AM
Senior Chief

Been A law here in NYS for a few years with no problem. I've been driving for 45 yrs and always have pulled into the left lane when I see any vehicle stopped on the right shoulder. Unfortunately we had to make a law for the moron drivers to pull over into the left lane if they see a Police Car with the lights activated. Most still will fly by a disabled vehicle without changing lanes.

Old 05-03-2016, 07:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by pontiacs-r-us View Post
It's law here in Virginia also.I think it is a good idea,but was recently involved in the bad side of it as mentioned above.There was an older gentleman pulling a 22-25ft tag-a-long camper and just as he got to officer in emergency lane he decided he needed to move to left lane no matter what.He wasn't clear the car in left lane(the one I'm following,lol),so we make sudden 70mph to 30mph brake to avoid rear ending camper.Luckily we did(& didn't get rear ended,was heavy traffic too),but I was telling the old guy that the law states "make an attempt to move over",& "it's to avoid accidents not create them" I was a lil jacked up on adrenaline by then,lol ... Also Tn just passed a law for those that want to run in left lane all the time.If slower than right lane traffic,they will be ticketed.Hope Virginia adopts this one soon.Maybe Fla. will someday?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
It isn't that I disagree with the law for its intended purpose,, It is the expectations of situations like this making things more dangerous ,, Of course if everyone was considerate it wouldn't be in question. People tend to over react where police are involved, especially young in experienced drivers and old paranoid ones. I was thinking a slow down law would be safer, but if this is how it is all across the country I guess my theory is wrong,. Thanks for the feedback

Old 05-03-2016, 08:55 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I dont know how anyone can say this doesnt cause problems . Almost everytime I see a officer with llights on and a car pulled over theres morons over reacting slamming on their brakes and cutting people off .

Old 05-03-2016, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I agree!

They need a law to stop anyone that slams their brakes on and swerves in front of you.

Especially the ones flying (speeding) down the road, then they see a cop on the side of the road, and pull in front of you then slam their brakes on to try and avoid the radar.
(this is usually right in front of the cop car too)

Thing is the cop has already radared them by the time the car sees the cop.

Winner of Top Class at Pontiac Nationals, 2004 Cordova
Winner of Quick 16 At Ames 2004 Pontiac Tripower Nats

KRE's MR-1 - 1st 5 second Pontiac block ever!

"Every man has a right to his own opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts."

"People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought which they avoid." – Socrates