THE LOBBY A gathering place. Introductions, sports, showin' off your ride, birthday-anniversary-milestone, achievements, family oriented humor.

Old 09-06-2011, 03:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default New Car Pricing

Our Honda Odyssey is approaching 100K miles and the wife is making noises that she's interested in a new ride. One of the boys just left for college and the other has his drivers license (and my old Tundra) so a minivan is not really needed though the wife says she'd miss being able to push a button to open the doors allowing her to pack more needless junk in easily. I'm pushing her to look at a Toyota Venza and there is one that interests me at the local Toyota dealership (less than a 1/4 mile away) that stickers at $38,000 even. Walking in with money, how much should it sell for? Is there a reliable website that lists dealer cost/holdback etc that would help me with coming up with an offer?

frittering and wasting the hours in an off hand way....

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-06-2011, 04:01 PM
Performance Pontiac Author

http://www.truecar.com/

Jim Hand

Old 09-06-2011, 04:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

One thing to keep in mind, dealers use hold back money to pay sales, keep the lights on, etc. When someone walks in and "thinks" they know it all, and ask us to give up hold back money, my General Sales Manager usually shows them the door. Profit isn't a dirty word. We all work to make a living, and expect to get paid, as you do.

That being said, we own a Toyota Store, if you want true information, call me or email me.

Kenny Cunningham
Internet Sales Manager
Maserati/Porsche of the Village
4113 Plainville Rd
Cincinnati, Oh 45227
(513) 673-8997

400 .060 Eagle Rods
Old 09-06-2011, 05:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Thank you Kenny. Much appreciated.

1969 GTO, 455ci, 230/236 Pontiac Dude's "Butcher Special" Comp hyd roller cam with Crower HIPPO solid roller lifters, Q-jet, Edelbrock P4B-QJ, Doug's headers, ported 6X-8 (97cc) heads, TKO600, 3.73 geared Eaton Tru-Trac 8.5", hydroboost, rear disc brakes......and my greatest mechanical feat....a new heater core.
Old 09-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

What year is your Honda David? Any idea what you'd want for it?

9.81 @ 136.39MPH
Old 09-06-2011, 06:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Try Edmunds.com

Old 09-06-2011, 09:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagtec1 View Post
What year is your Honda David? Any idea what you'd want for it?
2005 Odyssey EX with leather and the rear entertainment system (DVD). It should be worth about 12K or so. The big variable in this is my wife, who makes financial decisions at a glacial pace.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by R68GTO View Post
Try Edmunds.com
I've looked at Kelley, Edmunds and NADA for value estimates on the Odyssey as I have on vehicles in the past. I didn't know they did new car stuff but have always gotten the impression that they were in bed with the car industry to some extent.

Old 09-06-2011, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

That Venza you are looking at is High end rig. There is about 3500 between the invoice and the MSRP, with about 760 in destination .
IN alot of Dealers the dealer that says the invoice price is actually telling the invoice plus the hold back.
Toyota may have some dealer kickbacks, which can be passed on to buyers as well.
Good luck on your new rig! ( I prefer a Nissan Rogue, with a 4cyl and awd) The way technology is now there is no need to buy a V-6 for that size rig unless you tow.( I think Toyota has that in a 4 , maybe not at your trim level though)

Old 09-06-2011, 10:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hey David - why not look at some new Pontiacs ?? Oh, sorry, got carried away for a moment.

Jim

65 Catalina sedan. Allen Thomas Performance 495. KRE Heads at 310cfm ported by SD Performance, ProSystems Dominator carb on ported Victor intake, P-Dude custom grind hydraulic roller, MSD ignition, 3.50 Moser/Ford rear. F-Glass front bumper by son Rob, rear by the old man and joint effort for trunk lid. 3950# w/driver. Best of 9.5761/139 on 175 shot, 6.01 /114 in 1/8.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Jones View Post
Our Honda Odyssey is approaching 100K miles and the wife is making noises that she's interested in a new ride. One of the boys just left for college and the other has his drivers license (and my old Tundra) so a minivan is not really needed though the wife says she'd miss being able to push a button to open the doors allowing her to pack more needless junk in easily. I'm pushing her to look at a Toyota Venza and there is one that interests me at the local Toyota dealership (less than a 1/4 mile away) that stickers at $38,000 even. Walking in with money, how much should it sell for? Is there a reliable website that lists dealer cost/holdback etc that would help me with coming up with an offer?
David, you can build any car at Edmunds or one of the car sites. They should still have invoice costs. Dont count on any Toyo dealer selling below invoice. Toyota dealers trend to have the "We are Toyota, we sell everything and dont have to discount" attitude.

Everyone has their .o2 on how to buy a car. I was on the selling end for 6 years so I have a little experiance in the field. The buyers who get the best deals are well educated with the right information. Period.

As for cash, they would much rather finaince you as they make money in the back end. Dont forget thet each step of the process from the test drive to the finaince deal, they are making money. Negotiate EVERYTHING.

This is no joke either, but have her test drive the Camry SE (the sport model) with a V6 and the duel exhaust (special designed exaust from TRD). It has 17" wheels and much firmer suspention. The car is quick and handles really nice. Its not like any other Camry. I enjoy driving mine. Plus its about 5K less with every option checked off including blue tooth phone, in dash nav and premium sound with factory remote start.

These are my .02

Old 09-07-2011, 08:49 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66 View Post
The buyers who get the best deals are well educated with the right information. Period.
Working on that right now.
Glenda has already said a number of times that she doesn't want a "car". I haven't told her that the Venza is built on what is basically a Camry chassis.

I know the trim packages and options I want and I have the fact that I don't have to have a new car on my side. One problem is Toyota lots aren't too full of inventory right now. But again, no hurry and they'll get back up to speed before long.
A 4 cylinder would get slightly better fuel mileage in most situations but I have a hard time with 2.7 liters pulling around more than 2 tons.
Sure I'd love a dealer to give it to me but I'm in business and know a profit is required to keep the doors open.
We have considered financing but the jury is out on that at this moment.

Old 09-07-2011, 08:50 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
David, you can build any car at Edmunds or one of the car sites. They should still have invoice costs. Dont count on any Toyo dealer selling below invoice. Toyota dealers trend to have the "We are Toyota, we sell everything and dont have to discount" attitude.
That was true - now Toyota dealers are advertising discounted pricing.

With Toyota's U.S. sales down 12.7% this August over last August and down 7.8% from 2010 overall - the dealers are desperate for sales. Toyota's market share has plunged - even Chrysler outsold Toyota in the U.S. last month...

Locally our Toyota dealer has more Corolla's (14) on the lot than the Chevy dealer has Cruzes (8). Corolla sales were down 19% in August with a plentiful supply. Example - MSRP of $20,410 on their website for $18,399. Chevy sold over 5,000 more Cruzes than Toyota sold Corollas last month.

Toyota wants sales really bad. I think everyone knows how I feel about buying a Toyota, but if that's what a person wants to buy I'd seriously negotiate real hard based on how desperate Toyota and their dealers are for sales at this time.

David, I know you really like Toyota. I seriously think you should at least consider the Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain if your wife is looking at the Venza. At least test drive one - to compare. GM isn't discounting these alot - sales of the Equinox were up 57% from August of 2010.

Just a thought...

Old 09-07-2011, 10:15 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Having owned 4 GM products that all required some sort of service, repair or replacement because of poor engineering or poor quality I'm not really open to testing for their new found greatness with $30-40,000 of my own cash.
The Corolla/Cruze inventory around Grand Meadow, Mn. not withstanding.
Thank you though.

Old 09-07-2011, 04:55 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
That was true - now Toyota dealers are advertising discounted pricing.

With Toyota's U.S. sales down 12.7% this August over last August and down 7.8% from 2010 overall - the dealers are desperate for sales. Toyota's market share has plunged - even Chrysler outsold Toyota in the U.S. last month...

Locally our Toyota dealer has more Corolla's (14) on the lot than the Chevy dealer has Cruzes (8). Corolla sales were down 19% in August with a plentiful supply. Example - MSRP of $20,410 on their website for $18,399. Chevy sold over 5,000 more Cruzes than Toyota sold Corollas last month.

Toyota wants sales really bad. I think everyone knows how I feel about buying a Toyota, but if that's what a person wants to buy I'd seriously negotiate real hard based on how desperate Toyota and their dealers are for sales at this time.

David, I know you really like Toyota. I seriously think you should at least consider the Chevy Equinox/GMC Terrain if your wife is looking at the Venza. At least test drive one - to compare. GM isn't discounting these alot - sales of the Equinox were up 57% from August of 2010.

Just a thought...
Its always a numbers game. Most Toyotas will be on the road long aftr the Cruze has hit the heap pile. I drive imports because I drive 25k or more a year and need a relaible set of wheels. The last couple of GM cars I had took too much to keep them on the road.

At 45,000 hard miles, my Toyota show no signs of giving up any time soon. I havent even done brakes on the car yet.

David, get her to drive my car. Just drive it and you''ll see.

Old 09-07-2011, 05:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Having owned 4 GM products that all required some sort of service, repair or replacement because of poor engineering or poor quality I'm not really open to testing for their new found greatness with $30-40,000 of my own cash.
The Corolla/Cruze inventory around Grand Meadow, Mn. not withstanding.
Thank you though.
I've owned so many GM products and have never had a bad one. My ventures with other brands (including Toyota) did not go well.

The Corolla/Cruze inventory was for Rochester, MN - the home of the Mayo Clinic - you might have heard of it...

Grand Meadow has two repair shops and 1 used car dealer.

For some reason neither GM or Toyota thought a town of under 1200 residents required one of their franchises... Maybe they should reconsider - when I moved here in 2005 the population was only 905. We're growing big time!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Blue 66
Its always a numbers game. Most Toyotas will be on the road long aftr the Cruze has hit the heap pile. I drive imports because I drive 25k or more a year and need a relaible set of wheels. The last couple of GM cars I had took too much to keep them on the road.

At 45,000 hard miles, my Toyota show no signs of giving up any time soon. I havent even done brakes on the car yet.
I consistently drive my vehicles for many years and miles. My current daily driver is a Pontiac Torrent, which has over 80,000 miles (and still on the original brakes too) and hasn't needed anything but gas/tires/oil.

The daily driver the Torrent replaced was a Pontiac Grand Prix, which had 156,000 miles on it when we sold it to my best friend. Other than gas/tires/oil, it received one set of brakes, a starter and a front hub bearing. I sold that car 4 years ago and it's still on the road today.

My company car is an HHR - 102,000 miles on it and other than gas/tires/oil it's still running on it's original equipment except for the front struts (put them on at about 88,000 miles - the same time as the new tires and alignment were done). I put about 40,000 miles on it in the last 12 months.

My personal experience with GM products has been excellent. My 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans was the first car I ever took over 100,000 miles. Had 217,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My Toyota experiment was still running at 150,000 miles when I got rid of it. But I couldn't sell it because it wasn't worth anything. I donated it to Bart's Starr's Rawhide Boys Ranch for a tax deduction.

Old 09-07-2011, 07:30 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:

David, get her to drive my car. Just drive it and you''ll see.
we know where this thread is heading. LOL

Old 09-07-2011, 09:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Champ View Post
I've owned so many GM products and have never had a bad one. My ventures with other brands (including Toyota) did not go well.

The Corolla/Cruze inventory was for Rochester, MN - the home of the Mayo Clinic - you might have heard of it...

Grand Meadow has two repair shops and 1 used car dealer.

For some reason neither GM or Toyota thought a town of under 1200 residents required one of their franchises... Maybe they should reconsider - when I moved here in 2005 the population was only 905. We're growing big time!!!

I consistently drive my vehicles for many years and miles. My current daily driver is a Pontiac Torrent, which has over 80,000 miles (and still on the original brakes too) and hasn't needed anything but gas/tires/oil.

The daily driver the Torrent replaced was a Pontiac Grand Prix, which had 156,000 miles on it when we sold it to my best friend. Other than gas/tires/oil, it received one set of brakes, a starter and a front hub bearing. I sold that car 4 years ago and it's still on the road today.

My company car is an HHR - 102,000 miles on it and other than gas/tires/oil it's still running on it's original equipment except for the front struts (put them on at about 88,000 miles - the same time as the new tires and alignment were done). I put about 40,000 miles on it in the last 12 months.

My personal experience with GM products has been excellent. My 1979 Pontiac Grand LeMans was the first car I ever took over 100,000 miles. Had 217,000 miles on it when I sold it.

My Toyota experiment was still running at 150,000 miles when I got rid of it. But I couldn't sell it because it wasn't worth anything. I donated it to Bart's Starr's Rawhide Boys Ranch for a tax deduction.
So I'm guessing after all this typing of opinion and general info sharing that you don't have info to help me in my purchase of a Venza?

Old 09-07-2011, 10:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So I'm guessing after all this typing of opinion and general info sharing that you don't have info to help me in my purchase of a Venza?
David

In my first post - I made this comment about buying a Toyota at this time:

Quote:
I also made a suggestion, not a demand:

Quote:
I didn't disparage Toyota. I posted the truth about their continuing sales slump and the fact that they are actively discounting their products instead of the old "We are Toyota, we sell everything and dont have to discount" attitude that Old Blue posted.

If you want a Toyota - it should be bargain time. That is how I'd approach a new Toyota purchase at this time. Go ahead and pay sticker (or close to it) if you want to follow Old Blue's lead.

I was really trying to help.

Old 09-07-2011, 10:21 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Stuck on Venza? here is what I posted..
That Venza you are looking at is High end rig. There is about 3500 between the invoice and the MSRP, with about 760 in destination .
IN alot of Dealers the dealer that says the invoice price is actually telling the invoice plus the hold back.
Toyota may have some dealer kickbacks, which can be passed on to buyers as well.

PS. I think your wife would just love a Nissan Juke though, with a Turbo and 30+ mpg