Old 01-28-2018, 10:27 PM
Senior Chief

Default 70-2 stripe kit

I see that there is a preferred supplier for the 70-2 stripe kits. What is the cost? Would an NOS set have as much value? thx

Old 01-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I got mine from a member on here who created them as an exact replica from a NOS set. They're great looking!

I cant remember the name right now, let me dig around and see if I can find where I bought them.

1970 Trans Am RAIII 4 speed
1971 Trans Am 5.3 LM7
1977 Trans Am W72 Y82
1987 Grand National
Old 01-29-2018, 12:41 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Greg San Marco made the stripes and sold the rights to Stencil and Stripes. Very pleased to have used them on my car.

Not sure NOS is any better?

Old 01-29-2018, 03:14 PM
Senior Chief

I hear that Greg has developed a really good kit. Which has made me wonder if an nos set is any more valuable. I guess I can put them out there on the market & see what happens.

Old 01-29-2018, 08:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

From personal experience on my 71 TA restoration, I purchased a complete set of NOS stripes, from a fellow Pontiac enthusiast in Arizona back around 96 or 97. At the time I spent what I thought was crazy $$$ ...$300 for the entire set. The decals were all rolled up in one large long GM box. They had been in that same box for all those years.

Fast forward to 1999 or 2000, after the car was painted. I took the car to a very reputable restoration shop and asked them to install my NOS stripes.

The stripes would not roll out nicely, after being rolled up for all those years, the backing paper had dried out in spots. When we applied the striped they would not lay down with out wrinkles, of defects. Over all they were terrible, due to the way they were stored for all those years.

I ended up buying the set of repops from Stencils and Stripes, which applied beautifully. But they were not an accurate reproduction of the original stripes, but at the time that was all that was available.

For my current 70 project I bought a set from Greg San Marco, and these are absolutely perfect, and applied quite nicely...

So the moral of the story is be very careful with NOS stripes and how they have been stored for the past years....

-------------------------------------
1966 GTO 4 speed Hardtop Alabama car (Marina Turquoise w turquoise interior)
1970 TA 4 speed Canadian car (Lucerne Blue w bright blue interior)
Old 01-29-2018, 09:36 PM
Senior Chief

Thanks for sharing that knowledge. I do appreciate it.

Old 01-29-2018, 09:54 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hi vwmailman,
It looks like you are being pointed in the right direction. Stencils and Stripes has my patterns and the stripes are Made in America by the same manufacturer that I used originally.

Thanks everyone too for the compliments!

Also, 455HOta has a great summary on NOS. The gum on 40 year old stripes doesn't hold like new adhesives, and if there are any edge dog ears, or wrinkles from the backing paper shrinkage (we all get it when we get old... wrinkles and shrinkage) it will just not come out. On top of that the clear has likely yellowed some. Perfect reproductions match a perfect restoration so everything looks just so!

Good luck with the stripe install!