The Body Shop TECH General questions that don't fit in any other forum

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Gas Powered Air Compressor

I don't have 220 anywhere near my garage and I really don't want to run a new 220 line so I'm thinking about buying a gas powered air compressor. I am looking at a used Eagle brand dual tank ( model TT55G), its rated at 12.5 cfm @ 100 psi, max output is 150psi, it has a 5.5 hp Honda motor. This is a very popular unit for contractors and roofers. I am starting the resto on my 69 Bird and need it to run my tools. The car doesn't need a lot of body work and I haven't decided whether or not I'm going to paint it myself but I will probably spray the floors, firewall, small parts and inner fenders. I will also probably spray the primer on the car. Does this compressor sound like it will work good for what I want to use it for? any other suggestions? Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EAG_TT55G.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	290886  

Old 07-12-2012, 07:27 AM
Ultimate Warrior

The problem with the wheel barrow compressors is they don't have a large enough tank on them to run air tools without cycling rapidly. The noise is probably going to make you wish you ran the 220 line.

I used them on the road for 7 years as a equipment mechanic and I didn't run it anymore than I had to because of the noise. When using a 3/4" impact wrench they run out of air pretty quick too. Body shop tools have a tendency to use quite a bit of air too so I would read the specs on the unit close to make sure it will keep up with your tools. I have doubts it will and you'll be waiting on it to catch up a lot of the time. Out in the middle of nowhere at least you have air, but they are surely not something you would want in a shop in my opinion at least.

One other thing, due to harmonics they tend to scoot across a hard surface too. Contractors tools also tend to use a lot less air than mechanics or body shop tools. They run air nailers off of those pancake compressors and they would never run mechanics air tools.

1984 Grand Prix

100% Pontiacs in my driveway!!! What's in your driveway?

If you don't take some of the RACETRACK home with you, Ya got cheated

Last edited by Sirrotica; 07-12-2012 at 07:40 AM.
Old 07-12-2012, 10:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Air tools for body work take a lot of air. My brother and me had two single stage 60 gallan tanks tied together and I could drop the pressure many times to kick both of them on at the same time. If I ran my small glass bead blaster I would have to wait for the air to build back up about every several minutes. V-grinder, Air file, cut off tool, and orbital sander all use the air pretty fast.

So I would agree, you would be very disapointed in a air compressor that small. Most of your cheap single stage 60 gallon compressors can get the job done but a dual stage may be better for more sirious work. IMO

BTW now both of those cheap aircompressors are broke but they got a hell of a work out.

Old 07-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirrotica View Post
The problem with the wheel barrow compressors is they don't have a large enough tank on them to run air tools without cycling rapidly. The noise is probably going to make you wish you ran the 220 line.

I used them on the road for 7 years as a equipment mechanic and I didn't run it anymore than I had to because of the noise. When using a 3/4" impact wrench they run out of air pretty quick too. Body shop tools have a tendency to use quite a bit of air too so I would read the specs on the unit close to make sure it will keep up with your tools. I have doubts it will and you'll be waiting on it to catch up a lot of the time. Out in the middle of nowhere at least you have air, but they are surely not something you would want in a shop in my opinion at least.

One other thing, due to harmonics they tend to scoot across a hard surface too. Contractors tools also tend to use a lot less air than mechanics or body shop tools. They run air nailers off of those pancake compressors and they would never run mechanics air tools.
I'm thinking I would have the compressor outside when I was using it so the noise wouldn't be a factor. I was also thinking the 12.5 scfm rating would give me that constantly and be sufficant to run my equipment is that not the case? I have seen some used 60 gal compressors but the scfm ratings are lower, am I better off with a higher scfm rating or a little lower rating and a much bigger tank? Thanks

Old 07-12-2012, 12:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

With air compressors it is all about CFM.

Air tools are commonly rated at a 25% duty cycle, so if a sander specs out at 7 CFM @ 90 PSI it could actually draw closer to 28 CFM if used continuously. Having a large tank will mask the problem of not enough pump capacity but only until the tank pressure drops to 90PSI. At that point, you could disconnect the tank and not notice any difference, the pump is doing all the work and it will not be able to keep up.

10-11-12 CFM @ 90 is enough to run most spray guns but inadequate for any type of blasting. Also, die grinder, sanders, and some impacts will require more air than this if ran continuously, and you may have to wait for air.

It easy to spend someone elses money, but if I was in your situation I would install the 220V line, which will open up your option for other equipment down the road like welders, etc.

I had a 11 CFM@90PSI compressor for many years and to be honest I was ALWAYS exceeding the pumps capacity no matter what air tool I was using, except maybe when filling tires or using the impact to take off lug nuts. After 1 minute of continuos use the pump would start running and would not shut off until a few minutes after I was done. Some tools (spray guns) this isn't an issue since you run them at 40PSI or lower, so you are still ahead CFM/PSI wise, but most air tools require 90PSI and it sucks to have to wait for the pump to catch up or hear it running the whole time you are working.

Also note that single stage pumps heat the air more than a 2stage pump, which results in ALOT more water being generated in the air lines and alot more work to get it out.

My recommendation for an air compressor that will be used for bodywork/mechanical work is minimum 2 stage, true 5HP, which should put you around 16-18CFM@90PSI. Even this size is small for sandblasting.

Oshawa built 1 option Judge basket case. 463, SD KRE 295's, CNC'd factory intake, Cliff's Qjet, Stump Puller HR cam, RARE RA manifolds, Pypes exhaust, T56 Magnum, McLeod RXT clutch, 3.42 12 bolt. 24 year project almost done...
Old 07-12-2012, 01:13 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Maybe a 110V DA is what you need I have one and it's much better for doing occasional body work than running a DA on air. I had one, and a straightline sander and they need a lot of air to run constantly.

As has already been said 12.5 is too small to run most air tools constantly, I already know an air DA would be too taxing on the compressor I have and is the exact reason I bought and electric one to replace the air DA and straight line board sander that was stolen from me. However if your planning on spraying your own car you'll still need an air source, I'm not sure if some of the better quality 110 compressors would be enough for spraying or not. I'll defer to someone who has tried it.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 07-12-2012, 01:47 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have painted a car with a 115 volt "5 hp" 30 gallon Campbell Hausfeld compressor. It can be done but it is not optimal. I have since upgraded to an 80 gallon 220 volt two stage unit. It is far better and I can run my air tools and sandblaster continuously. I think you should consider running 220 to your shop.

Don

Old 07-13-2012, 12:02 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I picked up a 2 year old Husky 60 gal 3.2hp putting out 10.2 scfm @90 psi for $235. I hope it will work good for what I need. After I use it a while I'll repost here.

Old 07-13-2012, 01:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by spb350 View Post
I picked up a 2 year old Husky 60 gal 3.2hp putting out 10.2 scfm @90 psi for $235. I hope it will work good for what I need. After I use it a while I'll repost here.

Exactly what I have, it will be fine for most stuff your doing, it is a hobby style compressor and not a production capability unit. I have needed more air at times but most times it keeps up pretty well. If you run it hard it will use some oil so pay attention to the oil level.

1984 Grand Prix

Old 07-13-2012, 02:06 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

That should be much better than the gas type compressor. I run a kobalt 80gal unit and it is the best investment I could have made. Picked it up used for about 325 and paid 100 to have 220 line put in. It can keep up with anything I do in my home hobbiest garage. I have painted my trans am and run da's, cabinet blasters, and every other air tool I have and it does fine. Good choice!!

Old 07-13-2012, 02:38 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I have a Craftsman with a 32 (I think) gallon tank and it is not enough to run any 'continuous' tools like a cut-off wheel or die-grinder. It works fine for the impact and air ratchet though.

I'd definitely get a bigger one than that for painting.

-J