Pontiac - Street No question too basic here!

Closed Thread

Old 02-03-2024, 09:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRADERMIKE 2012 View Post
What are you willing to pay for this motor, if it increases the value of your vehicle from 100k with the period correct story to concourse matching code, correct now the market price is $ 250 K - $ 300k?
Without the rest of the car, it isn't numbers matching. It
won't be a 400 Firebird. Won't be a GTO either. It's a big
car. Could be a four door. And there's only ONE big car it
is right for, because the 1967 Billing History lists it's EUN.

Supply and demand. You say you have something rare, I
say your list of clients is incredibly limited. They will walk
away once they learn you expect them to pay out of their
arse for it. And that assumes the car even survived.

He feels this motor will add $150-$200K to a 67 B-body.

Old 02-03-2024, 09:53 PM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242177P View Post
Without the rest of the car, it isn't numbers matching. It
won't be a 400 Firebird. Won't be a GTO either. It's a big
car. Could be a four door. And there's only ONE big car it
is right for, because the 1967 Billing History lists it's EUN.

Supply and demand. You say you have something rare, I
say your list of clients is incredibly limited. They will walk
away once they learn you expect them to pay out of their
arse for it. And that assumes the car even survived.

He feels this motor will add $150-$200K to a 67 B-body.
Mikes reply:

Only speculating, I don't know what my Engine was in, because the Vin. number is not associated with my EUN number. Yes, we do know that the B body is the most likely of all the big cars. That being said, any B-body, in 1967 is a candidate for my motor, if it had an HO 428 YK code (Automatic-4bbl) and they call out that 1035 were produced for 1967 according to my records.

Now add in the HO 428 ci motors that were installed in say Royal Pontiac, an upgrade option from the dealerships, the Factory sent the 428-crate motor to Royal and Royal had to pull the 400 ci say and that made the vehicle warrantable. Some GTO and Firebirds got them from Motion and the west coast dealers got them and upgraded vehicles. The really rare one would be one that was factory installed, that supposedly never happened, but there is an exception, that one might have gotten through, somehow, some way, or so I have read. That would be worth a fortune the writer wrote.

Thus, there are possibly 1035 vehicles to claim a YK code HO 428 ci and they won't have to match their Vin. because they never could and I only need the one.

Since my Block has the EUN number, means it could have been a factory installed motor or was it installed on the line or shelfed and sold over the counter?

I think that when it got assembled on the factory assembly area that is when it received its EUN number. How it got sold from there is a mystery.

One thing for sure, this motor deserves a new life and it is going to get one whose life is the question and what it ends up in is another thing, if I install it in my vehicle, I want the best it can be.

By the way, if I were to pay PHS $50, for the 1967 Billing History that lists its EUN, could I find out the Vehicle this motor could have been installed into?

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-03-2024 at 10:10 PM.
Old 02-03-2024, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

You need the vin first.Tom

Old 02-03-2024, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Mikes reply:

Only speculating, I don't know what my Engine was in, because the Vin. number is not associated with my EUN number. Yes, we do know that the B body is the most likely of all the big cars. That being said, any B-body, in 1967 is a candidate for my motor, if it had an HO 428 YK code (Automatic-4bbl) and they call out that 1035 were produced for 1967 according to my records.

Now add in the HO 428 ci motors that were installed in say Royal Pontiac, an upgrade option from the dealerships, the Factory sent the 428-crate motor to Royal and Royal had to pull the 400 ci say and that made the vehicle warrantable. Some GTO and Firebirds got them from Motion and the west coast dealers got them and upgraded vehicles. The really rare one would be one that was factory installed, that supposedly never happened, but there is an exception, that one might have gotten through, somehow, some way, or so I have read. That would be worth a fortune the writer wrote.

Thus, there are possibly 1035 vehicles to claim a YK code HO 428 ci and they won't have to match their Vin. because they never could and I only need the one.

Since my Block has the EUN number, means it could have been a factory installed motor or was it installed on the line or shelfed and sold over the counter?

I think that when it got assembled on the factory assembly area that is when it received its EUN number. How it got sold from there is a mystery.

One thing for sure, this motor deserves a new life and it is going to get one whose life is the question and what it ends up in is another thing, if I install it in my vehicle, I want the best it can be.

By the way, if I were to pay PHS $50, for the 1967 Billing History that lists its EUN, could I find out the Vehicle this motor could have been installed into?
PHS $50?

Times have changed, I think your pricing is a bit out of date

67 White/Gold GTO 4 speed sold, 1968 GTO 4 speed sold, 1969 GTO auto sold, 68 Firebird 400 4 speed (455) sold, 65 GTO Night Watch Blue 4 speed sold, 64 GTO Nocturne Blue 4 speed sold, 71 GTO Gold auto sold. 1975 Formula 400 auto sold.
Hopefully to be restored, H-"O" Racing 73 Trans Am SD 4 speed,
Sons 70 Formula 400 auto, and wife's 1974 AMX 360 auto, 1975 Jeep Honcho 4x4, 1965 Buick Special post
Old 02-04-2024, 12:33 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
You need the vin first.Tom
Mikes reply:

That means the answer is no, I will never know what Vehicle this motor was in or if it was ever installed on the factory line.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:12 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Here's a really important thing. If you're really thinking you're gonna find the person who owns the car that motor came out of, or even just numbers correct vs matching, that person doesn't want you to do one more thing to that motor.

https://youtube.com/shorts/gG15nb4FWeo?feature=share
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jhein For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 02:02 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhein View Post
Here's a really important thing. If you're really thinking you're going to find the person who owns the car that motor came out of, or even just numbers correct vs matching, that person doesn't want you to do one more thing to that motor.

Mikes reply:

Bold statement, But I would be calling the shots here, being the seller. This is an example of one way that I would show and sell an engine, in complete form.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LEAD-TRI-POWER.jpeg
Views:	83
Size:	92.1 KB
ID:	627911  

Old 02-04-2024, 02:31 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Mike I may have missed it, and I’m not reading through pages. So, what's on your 428 for a Carb, or does it have Tri- Power? If it does have Tri-power, I don’t think it’s original to that motor. I know 421’s had Tri Power though.
Mikes reply:

The new owner would just install his Carb. on my motor and then he can sell, use or show Tri-powers, if he wants, for example, this is all speculation. I need to get a price of my motor, all built and ready to drop in, I will not sell it any other way, for example...

I have a 1966 Intake Manifold made of Cast Iron, with 1966 GTO Tri-Power Rochester Carbs. , number matching with 2 of three original matching tags, Plus, the number to the missing tag, that I got off this forum from Tom S. , before I ever was on the PY forum myself. The carbs. are freshly built and lack no parts, I made sure of that. They are as cast, no finish on them at all.

Another guess is that this Induction system is worth $15,000. To a 1967 GTO, Firebird owner alone. Add the Headers and accessories complete, motor deal, is $25 K.

Remember, I am only speculating and wondering what the real world will pay for my equipment.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:32 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default ClOwN ShOw......

OP has

Absolutely
:
NO

Clue.

The day that ANY tripower intake with one missing carb is worth $15k, I'll eat it. Literally. Because that will NEVER happen. Ever.

So sad..........

Joe out.

Old 02-04-2024, 02:37 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
OP has

Absolutely
:
NO

Clue.....
Mikes reply:

It is time for you to give me a price, someone must know the true value of a rare Motor to someone who needs it. You see the prices on Auction nights, how do these people get paid and I can't?

Example: My vehicle is better than Burts, but because Burt sat in the seat and signed the glove box, it sold for 1/2 a million, there is no price that a man won't pay for his toys, if he has the money to burn. It is the frugal broke people like ourselves that money even matters.

My vehicle and motor are one-of-a-kind, classic works of art and art is subjective.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-04-2024 at 02:48 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 02:47 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe's Garage View Post
OP has

Absolutely
:
NO

Clue.

The day that ANY TriPower intake with one missing carb is worth $15k, I'll eat it. Literally. Because that will NEVER happen. Ever.

So sad..........

Joe out.
Mikes reply:

You read too fast, no missing carb. here.

Old 02-04-2024, 03:08 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Mikes reply:

Mikes reply:

You said:

"Without the rest of the car, it isn't numbers matching. It won't be a 400 Firebird. Won't be a GTO either. It's a big car. Could be a four door. And there's only ONE big car it is right for, because the 1967 Billing History lists its EUN".

"1967 Billing History lists its EUN".

We have established that the EUN number is not part of the VIN. in 1967 and without the VIN. PHS can't tell us the Vehicle that my Engine was ever in or if it was ever installed on the factory line. If you can tell us, by all means, I am all ears.

There are (1035) 1967 428 HO YK code "special equipment" listed, mine is one of them, the other 1034 are the ones that I am looking for. B-body vehicles, 2+2, Cats, Bonn, Vent, GTO, Firebird, all could have this motor, if they checked the correct box, ect...Dealer installed option as in Royal Pontiac, notwithstanding...

P.S. I once saw a fan belt, in the package, with the proper markings, at least he claimed that, for sale for a vette, $15,000.00

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-04-2024 at 03:25 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 04:04 AM
Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gach View Post
Forgive me if I’m wrong, but I think you’re saying that these 428 motors came with tri- power. Either way a completely rebuilt, at most, original intake and heads, a long Block. Maybe 12,000-15,000 grand. That's what Butler gets for one. Maybe if you catch a sleeper $20,000.00.
Mikes reply:

This motor is a 1967 428 HO YK code Auto. 4bbl.

In 1968 this engine was taken apart and the Block marked 2288, I think, Feb 28 1968, the markings are upside down and to the left of the EUN. Arguably, this Engine received a race configuration installed, my careful research depicts this, to the best of my knowledge. The Mechanic reversed the Pistons, Installed the # 588 Tri-power Cam, Tri-power Rochester GTO carbs. , and the cast Iron Intake Manifold and the PC code? Th 400 Trans. Research shows that racers were the ones to know to buy over the counter, these special sanctioned race parts to qualify themselves in races legally. I have the documents that tell this story. The rest of the story is that the man that I bought this second-hand project from, was told when he purchased the Engine, that it had been used in Rum Running in a truck, that went over a mountain in the Carolina's and was retrieved and sold to him with its history.

You said:

"Forgive me, if I’m wrong, but I think you’re saying that these 428 motors came with tri-power? Either way, completely rebuilt at most, original intake heads. Maybe 12,000-15,000 grand. That's what Butler gets for one. Maybe, if you catch a sleeper, $20,000.

Answer: Came with the Auto. Quadrajet.

Hypothetically:

So, let's say I would sell my motor with all the accessories, Plus the real Tri-power GTO set up, for 25 k

There is doubt in my mind that Butler is selling a genuine Tri-power set up, at your price above, they are few, it would be a clone. Does he offer an Induction system at all, at that price?

So, Butler long Block vs Mikes complete assembled, rebuilt 428 ci HO YK code, Tri-power, Engine accessorized, is not out of line after all.

Last edited by TRADERMIKE 2012; 02-04-2024 at 04:33 AM.
Old 02-04-2024, 08:17 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I wonder how many engines anyone who gave advice here could build in the same amount of time the thread starter spent writing a bunch of nonsense and quota himself in this thread?
Why not spend all this time doing something meaningful?
Like building an engine f.e?

http://gtoaa.org/
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kenth For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 12:15 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1966 Tri-power setups generally sell for $1500-$2500, not $15,000-$25,000.....

66 GTO, 495, M22, Strange S-60 w/4.10
Sold new at Ace Wilson's Royal Pontiac
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUHC-Z8xhtg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Singleton For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Jim Taylor did a write up in HPP many moons ago and proved the tri-power was slower compared to the 4brl quadrajet. It's cool to see one though but not an upgrade by any stretch. And not near as cool as a dual quad either.

You say rum running speed machine and we see big bubba written all over. Not really a big market for bubba out there either, investment wise just so you are aware. Guys want machine shop invoices and your fingers off type of deal but its your engine and can make it into a front yard planter for all I care.

Old 02-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
So, let's say I would sell my motor with all the accessories, Plus the real Tri-power GTO set up, for 25 k
With out getting into a whole tutorial, I know you think what you have is worth allot of money, Thats never going to happen. I

Old 02-04-2024, 01:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Watching those high end auctions causes delusions of grandeur, its called barret jackson syndrome- Where guys with average or even very nice cars see a car the same year or type as theirs that is a super rare or super low mile original or no money spared top of the line restoration sell for crazy prices, then think their run of the mill not rare car with an average paint job or resto-mod is worth anywhere near as much as those cars. Then you get those guys thinking or claiming their car is worth anywhere near that price. It can ruin the market or be a fast reality check when the car doesnt sell or even get any tire kickers.

Same goes for engines, 428s are nice, but nobody really caress what year or vin# it is since once its out of the car it will never be original #'s matching again. The engine is worth the average market value that is less than half the stated $25k that butler gets for a fresh built engine with top of the line performance parts.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 78w72 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-04-2024, 02:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Mike my guess is, you don’t have the money to do the rebuild on this motor. Or better question is, whats your budget. ?

Last edited by Gach; 02-04-2024 at 02:52 PM.
Old 02-04-2024, 05:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Who's got 20 pages in pool?