I would definitely buy a RA-V alum head if someone made them. 69 24.13%
I would seriously consider buying a RA-V alum head combo. 147 51.40%
RA-V's are too out in left-field for me. 24 8.39%
A RA-V program will be successful, but I wouldnt ever buy one. 14 4.90%
RA-V's are neat, but will never sell. 32 11.19%
Voters: 286. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2005, 12:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by tom s:
Lloyd,it will be a great project,will have to select a cam very carefully.A auto trans,power brake car might not be easy.Tom <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Thanks for the input, Tom, I'll definitely keep that in mind. Not looking for a race car, either, so I don't mind keeping the camshaft on the mild side. Large CID will help with that anyway.

I'll let my engine builder help me with cam selection, along with my PY buddies as well, LOL!

Prolly go with a Bullet Cams solid roller.

2008 GMC Sierra Denali 2WD Crew, L92 6L80E, Silver w/ Ebony guts, 14.26 @ 98
Old 01-10-2005, 01:05 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Q-Jet with a dual plane intake on a 535" inch shortblock swinging an expensive billet crank?

V heads or not, it begs the question..."Why?"

Old 01-10-2005, 01:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Russ Todd:
Loyd likes to go fast but look bone stock. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL, Russ!

My Formula is nowhere near as fast as yours, but you definitely know where I'm coming from!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dsc00370S.jpg
Views:	614
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	9401  

Old 01-10-2005, 01:12 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Brian Baker:
A Q-Jet with a dual plane intake on a 535" inch shortblock swinging an expensive billet crank?

V heads or not, it begs the question..."Why?" <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

See Russ Todd's post and my reply.

Like I said before, I KNEW that I would be getting a lot of gaff from this post. In fact I debated as to whether I should post it at all. But I want Lyn to know exactly where I stand.

To each his own!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

If this is going to be an all out head, I don't see why it can't run the # for cheap. The head has no idea if its bada$$ or not when it's being cast. So cast it from a copy of a port that is already doing the #. If you want a v head for your street car go buy a used one. This thing is for a big motor. $7000-$8000 for a set of heads? Not in my lifetime. A pro stock head should already flow huge #'s out of the box. A sheetmetal intake and custom headers are an assumption on a motor like this, not an obstacle to get over. More power to you guys!

Old 01-10-2005, 01:19 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Lynn would this be a copy of a "as cast" stock V head, or a reworked head like what you ran on the 428 stock class car?

Like this pic

Old 01-10-2005, 02:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Send a message via MSN to lugnutt

I think alot of people want the head. But, will they buy it after it is made?
I have a set of wenzlers' flowing 370, I advertised on here. One person contacted me about buying them. I also advertised as set of E heads, nobody would but them either. Why? Both are nice heads.
I'll just keep them and use them!

Old 01-10-2005, 02:25 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Russ,

I've researched this Hemi project pretty good, it's a bit more complex than just the head. Pushrods hit the block, rocker shafts are tough to get much lift, huge chambers leave a lot to be desired for compression ratio, Camshaft has to have lobes ground different for the valve placement. Hemi can get the bigger valve size and good Intake/Exhaust configuration.

RAV gives some nostalgia, good size valves, good I/E configuration, Lift and camshaft firing order has to be paid attention to.

Supercharged a Hemi design would probably be the best. On Motor something like the Kaase fords or Sonny Leonard head would probably be best.

The Superchief style head can do more than people give it credit for, 1077HP NA on 517 inches has been done and will move a car downtrack. Makes these dream heads a little less attractive and the All-Pontiac Tiger or Wenzler stuff worth another look.

-Rob
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ponthemi.jpg
Views:	580
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	13852  

Old 01-10-2005, 03:45 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Frank 63 mensioned the hemi head. Dont hear much about those.

Old engine:
467 HO headed
6.79 1/8th mile @ 101.87 no N20. 1.44 60ft
6.23 1/8th @ 111.83 w/nitrous
1.37 60ft

New Engine
IAII 535
Calvin Hill Eheads
Few test passes made. Tore it up. Just got it fixed.
Old 01-10-2005, 04:05 PM

Rob that is the early Hemi head you have on there right?because I was looking at a set of the 426 heads and they have 5 bolts per cyl.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:11 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Frank63:
Rob that is the early Hemi head you have on there right?because I was looking at a set of the 426 heads and they have 5 bolts per cyl. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Whatever it is, it's unfinished. It also doesn't appear to be cast. Whatcha' got there, Rob?

Old 01-10-2005, 04:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by lugnutt:
I think alot of people want the head. But, will they buy it after it is made?
I have a set of wenzlers' flowing 370, I advertised on here. One person contacted me about buying them. I also advertised as set of E heads, nobody would but them either. Why? Both are nice heads.
I'll just keep them and use them! <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

lugnutt I'm sure the heads you have are very nice heads, but I think some people are just plain scared away from larrys heads due to the castings, when the valves move around in the head even after having them re-heat treated or cryogenically treated, and that they needed a ton of work to get them to flow alot of the times. I don't want to get into a debate it all have been discused here before. the heads can be a good set or a bad set, and when your talking the kinda money people get for the heads, it's not a coin toss alot want to make. when they came out I was ready to sell everything to get a set, but after reading about some of the problems I dicided not to get them.

same thing for the allpontiac/butler alum block. I want one so bad it hurts, but I will wait to make sure there is no major problems. but I plan on buying one. I guess from what happened with the IA1's another I don't have the kinda of money to be a test rat, I'm too poor.

The V heads I will buy as long as they don't have major casting problems. I'm not worried so and so couldn't make them fly. I'm pretty sure with a turbo I can make the move some major amount of air.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:31 PM
Ultimate Warrior

plane and simple, the highest HP N/A motors have wenzler heads on them regardless of the amount of work they need. Until someone makes more HP with something else, they are the way to go to make serious power.

Old 01-10-2005, 04:45 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Picture of a Ram Air V intake port. And the push rod tube does not stop air flow?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ram_Air_V.jpg
Views:	455
Size:	258.9 KB
ID:	9626  

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 01-10-2005, 04:48 PM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by John Langer:
plane and simple, the highest HP N/A motors have wenzler heads on them regardless of the amount of work they need. Until someone makes more HP with something else, they are the way to go to make serious power. <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

What if someone made the same horsepower with a head that didn't require as much work? Wouldn't that be better (ie - less $$ out of pocket)?

Old 01-10-2005, 04:50 PM

WOW thats a big restriction in that port!

Old 01-10-2005, 04:58 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Hello..... any fish in there? I lost my watch in one of them and it took three days to find it.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ram_Air_Port.jpg
Views:	443
Size:	238.9 KB
ID:	11855  

Quickest, Fastest, Best selling Pontiac Aftermarket Block IA II and Tiger Heads

Boss Bird Funny Car
Best pass to date 08/06/2016 6.027@231.64
Allpontiac Big Chief Aluminum Engine Block

http://www.AllPontiac.com
Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

"Factory" race teams used airfoils in place of a round tube. They helped a bit over just having a round tube. Restriction? Maybe, but there's still more port there than any other Pontiac head designed in that era (which was the reason why it was such a colossal flop with the 303, and not much better on a 400...428's were better equipped to use the port, but even still were "smallish").

Old 01-10-2005, 04:59 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Thats also a BIG port, I'm borrowing a pic from Mark and Wade at bop I hope they don't get mad. the pic is of a Super duty head and a V head.

the way I see it looks alot bigger without the clay for flow benching it.

by the way Bob could you post the #'s you got from flowing the heads? I would like to see them. From what I heard Petes Mcarthys test were not right due to some problems with the flow bench that was used.

Old 01-10-2005, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

FYI: Some of the RAV heads had air foils in front of the pushrod guide tubes to help flow. My set does not have them.