Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 04-20-2012, 02:29 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Its funny how every one focuses on the difference of HP per CID on big and small motors. But know one says anything about the advantage of a 5 speed Liberty, which is a bigger deal than the HP per CID difference from big to small.
Little motor with a banger=WIN

Its simple if you fit the rules or willing to add the W ===Race heads up.
If you dont or not willing to add W===put chalk on your window

Old 04-20-2012, 02:59 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
x1000!!

Also agree about manual trans vs auto but Glen's races at Byron and Cordova take care of that at least.

Old 04-20-2012, 03:08 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

When a class is put together its done (normally) because of a passion for that type of car.

This class was designed loosely around the NSS cars, many of which already have manual transmissions.

He put the rules out there and people come to race the class.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:06 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Dont take what i said about the trans the wrong way , i am not bitching about it.Just raising a point.
I think the rules for this race need to be as simple as possible for the class to live.

Old 04-20-2012, 04:23 PM

Send a message via AIM to David Holmberg

John I know, I was making sure others understood the origins and intent of this class.

As I said before, there is a place for a 5.75 or 6.0 class as well, but thats up to someone else to promote and structure.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:04 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike leech View Post
Could not disagree more. No disrespect to you as you are entitled to your opinion. I know it seams there will be all kinds of cars. There won't be. There will be very few. The reason more people don't sign up isn't because there car is to light or there engine is too big...they can add weight and fit the rules. They don't sign up because if they add the weight they are TOO SLOW to complete. The point of the class is not to give all the unimpressive combos a chance to shine. THAT IS WHAT BRACKET RACING WAS INVENTED FOR.
yea but if you look at safty rules, NRHA, IHRA, etc. most you can add is 250 lbs of ballast. you get up to 540Ci or bigger your looking at 3600 lbs. I know my car is considered light at just under 2800 without driver. If someone is doing a semi serious race car, fiberglass front, lexan windows etc, with a 540 ci. most wont be able to add enough weight for the 1 race. N/A or not. Keep it N/a thats fine but at 6.75 you really knocking out most of the new motors being built out there that are over 500 Ci's. yea that's my opinion. But look at the car counts I dont see 25-35-40 cars showing up??? Talk to the shops building new motors ask them what the avg CI is?? bet its over 500.
Just saying I think with a little tweeking to the ratio you may pick up more cars.

Old 04-20-2012, 05:10 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by john marcella View Post
Its funny how every one focuses on the difference of HP per CID on big and small motors. But know one says anything about the advantage of a 5 speed Liberty, which is a bigger deal than the HP per CID difference from big to small.
Little motor with a banger=WIN

yea a good stick drive will take an auto most everyday. No arguments race sticks for lots of years. My issue is with the weight of vehicles. Drop the weights cars stay safier, and will go faster. I know its a balancing act to make all happy. Just looking what guys are building and such would be great to see car counts get larger. would bring more money and attention to the race and Pontiacs.
I think what all these guys are doing with the Pontiac races around the country are Great. Been to some when i Lived out west. Used to make the ones here locally at Da Grove and definitly plan on keep going to Byron and Cordova to name a few when they have Pontiac or BOP races. I doubt i'll ever go back to N/A with my car but wife might do something with the T/A or the Volvo. But right now she wants a Blown engine Too. To all the do make the Races have fun is all i can say. Glad Pontiacs are dead or forgotten yet

Last edited by bryansMtngto; 04-20-2012 at 05:25 PM.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Lets see,a auto car has won the last 2 years and took runner up the first year.Go get a little cheese to go with your WHINE!Tom

Old 04-20-2012, 06:26 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryansMtngto View Post
yea but if you look at safty rules, NRHA, IHRA, etc. most you can add is 250 lbs of ballast. you get up to 540Ci or bigger your looking at 3600 lbs. I know my car is considered light at just under 2800 without driver. If someone is doing a semi serious race car, fiberglass front, lexan windows etc, with a 540 ci. most wont be able to add enough weight for the 1 race. N/A or not. Keep it N/a thats fine but at 6.75 you really knocking out most of the new motors being built out there that are over 500 Ci's. yea that's my opinion. But look at the car counts I dont see 25-35-40 cars showing up??? Talk to the shops building new motors ask them what the avg CI is?? bet its over 500.
Just saying I think with a little tweeking to the ratio you may pick up more cars.
Thats the same boat that i am in, Am I willing to go out and purchase weight bars and do all the testing to find out where I need to place them to make the car work for one race. Proberbly not, car may actually pick up time because I might be able to launch it harder, that has been my biggest hurdle to overcome, getting the car to launch and not shake the tires. Or getting 400-450 foot into a run and haveing to lift to keep it straight. The new ignition box, wing, and new shocks have helped tremendously. But I have still pulled out a ton of power on the launch. Weight may help, I have 4 corner scaled the car and the weight bias is real good for what i have. This is an old retired NSS car with stock front frame rails, but double rail chassis from yhe firewall back. It is still just a tad heavy in the front. Take the weight limit down to 6.25 and I'm in right off the trailer. And so would alot of other folks with the big cube N/A motors. The field would fill up real fast. Now if you were going to build a car specific for one race this class is real cool, but it does not fit anything close to what I race in.

Old 04-20-2012, 07:07 PM
Ultimate Warrior

So after all this talk the only race that is somewhat locked in is Badgto vs Mike Leech. Is that correct?

Old 04-20-2012, 08:38 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom s View Post
Lets see,a auto car has won the last 2 years and took runner up the first year.Go get a little cheese to go with your WHINE!Tom
X2 and he wasn't the fastest!

Calvin Hill
Hill Performance
708-250-7420

Old 04-20-2012, 09:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff Kinsler View Post
what is the big deal to add 200 to 300 lbs? we took my buddies 68 camaro and went to georgia and ran the X275 race and then had to add 300 pounds to run the leaf spring race.. All we did was bolt the weight in and re adjust the anti-roll bar and caltrac bars.. not that hard to do!!!! we ran 2 classes all weekend!!! just make the weight bars up and bolt it in.. ITS NOT THAT HARD!!! everyone has to race the same rules!! Do you think I like carrying weight???? I can take ove 200 lbs out of my car just in weight bars and run alot faster. I have only tried one pass and the track was junk and I spun... so can i say my car would go 8.49 to 8.53 with the weight out? because it would of it it hooked up!!

HELLO DID ANYBODY READ THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 04-20-2012, 09:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
HELLO DID ANYBODY READ THIS POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jeff, please stop clouding the issue by stating facts.

Old 04-20-2012, 09:22 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO Dan View Post
Jeff, please stop clouding the issue by stating facts.
LMAO!!

there are alot of non racing mofo's around here i can tell you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

First ultra street/ultimate street NOS car to get into the 4's!
1.079 4.559 153.23.
3100 lbs
7.77 @ 169 1/4 Mile (2015) with EHTTFMF!!
T2TTFMF!

Special Thanks to:
Ron at Rhodes Custom Auto
Butler Peformance
Jim Hostler's Transmissions (HOSGTO) on here
Induction Solutions
BES Racing Engines.
Cheeseburger
VP Racing Fuels
Calvert Racing
Old 04-20-2012, 09:28 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I'm gona try to make this class.
3050 race weight + 100 lbs (Help Traction)
Factory block=462 4-speed 1-carb.
I'll do my best to make the class
No promises just dedication. Oh yea Pump Gas too.

GT.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	138.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	53.8 KB
ID:	282241  

Old 04-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
LMAO!!

there are alot of non racing mofo's around here i can tell you that!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Calculator and flowbench racing is still racing isnt it?

7.940@170.84. 3460#s
Old 04-20-2012, 09:50 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiL Jack View Post
Calculator and flowbench racing is still racing isnt it?
Still using time slips in TN!

Old 04-20-2012, 10:16 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowbird View Post
So after all this talk the only race that is somewhat locked in is Badgto vs Mike Leech. Is that correct?
Yes so far that is it.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:27 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosgrove View Post
Don't hide behind a rule put in to protect YOU. We have to add weight so you can compete.
This is an incoherent and incomplete sentence. Who the h$ll you think is hiding. And just so i know, Which rule is it that was put in place to protect me and from what?

I hate to get snotty hear but I'll break it down for you guys that don't get it. WHINERS are the only ones that want Rules changed to make it easier for them. Adjust your hot rod and show every body what you got.

Probably a big lazy motor in a roller skate. Heads up here for the deep thinkers, THIS IS A HORSEPOWER LBS PER CUBE RACE CLASS!!!! If you aren't making enough to compete now you won't at lighter weights either.

Old 04-20-2012, 10:52 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Holmberg View Post
Bruce I love your idea.

http://www.yellowbullet.com/forum/sh...r+to+Bradenton

Great read for those of you that missed it before.

And the Readers Digest version.

http://www.dragzine.com/features/int...an-8-sec-stang
Dave, I caught that... thats my kind of guy. My last "race car" only got trailered once in 9 years.(starter fried headin to finals late on a Sunday.. A friend who always trailered his "street" car to the track let me drive the truck and trailer. I paid for his gas.) My one way trip to the track was 43 miles of back road. 2-3 weekends a month and plenty of cruisin around plus a few longer trips. Even took it Christmas shopping once. Plenty cold out but very dry that day. That 160 tstat didnt warm the heater much. That was only a high eleven pump gas car but I dont see why I cant do similar to that Mustang. Lots of years on the road I certainly know the things that can happen... I'll be keeping them in mind as I build. Thanks for the encouragement.