Old 10-30-2020, 11:52 AM

Default LEDs for 66 dash help.

Hello All, I'm sure its been asked at some time. I want to replace my dim dash bulbs with LEDs. Any advice. I'm thinking #194 bulbs ?? are the correct base ? and good to go bulb ? without spending crazy money @ $5.99 pr. at Auto Zone
I'm thinking of pulling the driver seat out for easier access and I will check my fuse box ground etc. Seems like a pretty straight forward project and 12 bulbs should be plenty?.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

CORECT BULB (base) ??

Last edited by nikrnic; 10-30-2020 at 12:21 PM.
Old 10-30-2020, 06:47 PM
Ultimate Warrior

#194 light bulbs were used in 1968 and up GM cars, your car takes #1895 bulbs. Just FYI, if you replace your original dash glass bulbs with modern LEDs you will disable the dimmer feature of your headlamp switch.

The LEDs lights for your gauges will either be all the way on (bright) or completely off. With modern aftermarket LEDs you can no longer adjust them.

Old 10-31-2020, 03:31 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I bought dash LEDs from Superbrightleds. They do not dim, but that didn't bother me because the lamps are not that bright, even when 'full on'.

Old 10-31-2020, 05:54 AM

Mine is a 68 but it uses the 1895 in tach and I retrofitted the heater control as well using Amazon no name bulbs. They don’t dim but that is a good trade for me, and it’s completely reversible.
The incandescent picture below looks brighter than it actually was.
Good mod for me along with the dome light.

Old 10-31-2020, 08:48 AM

I recently replaced some bulbs on the gauges and found it much easier to do it from the passenger side. Didn't have to remove the seat, my car doesn't have a console though.