Non Pontiac Motors in Pontiacs includes factory 403,305,350 Chevy, Buick V6,
Also Pontiac Motors in non-Pontiacs!

Old 04-18-2003, 04:13 PM

Well after a little waiting I finally recieved my modified oil pan from Street and performance. With the oil pan installed and S&P's motor mount brackets, chevelle frame and motor mounts it sits like it was born to be there. The picture attached was from a couple of days ago, before I put the 4L60E trans back on. Sorry I don't have a current pic but the LS1/auto combo now resides where my 455/4spd with no problems --- yet. I am still in the beginning. Its getting real exciting real fast. Sorry the pic is kind of dark
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mvc-719s.jpg
Views:	1080
Size:	36.8 KB
ID:	6699  

Old 04-18-2003, 04:13 PM

Well after a little waiting I finally recieved my modified oil pan from Street and performance. With the oil pan installed and S&P's motor mount brackets, chevelle frame and motor mounts it sits like it was born to be there. The picture attached was from a couple of days ago, before I put the 4L60E trans back on. Sorry I don't have a current pic but the LS1/auto combo now resides where my 455/4spd with no problems --- yet. I am still in the beginning. Its getting real exciting real fast. Sorry the pic is kind of dark

Old 04-18-2003, 06:46 PM

Looks good keep the updates coming

Old 04-22-2003, 09:11 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Rockin!!!

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 04-23-2003, 04:50 PM
Senior Chief

69 LS1, Car looks good even without the front end. If you still have 455 and and are looking to sell it, please let me know.Also how close to N.J. are you?

Old 04-23-2003, 06:54 PM

Well today I put most of the front end back on to see how much more I need to cut the front springs. And as I suspected a one coil cut was not even close to enough, so tomorrow they come back out for more. Also my Rock Valley tank arrived the other day and looks great. expensive but great! Once I get the front end together and the stance correct, I will be in a holding pattern, until I can get my new driveshaft, exhaust, wiring harness and a couple other things I am waiting on.

NEP, I live in central Illinois, and the 455 has been filed under CF, for catostrophic failure. I'm not sure if you can sleeve a pontiac block but when it blew it took most of the cylinder wall with it. However there are some other parts from it if you are interested.

Old 04-23-2003, 07:56 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Looks awesome!

Just remember that when you cut coils the spring rate starts going up. So keep that in mind. You may get the height right, but it may be too stiff. I have the QA1/HAL coilover kit and it might be a very good option for you. The BB kit comes with a variable rate spring 365-465 lb/inch.

Just an idea.

Andrew

Project GatTagO

"You were the gun, your voice was the trigger, your bravery was the barrel, your eyes were the bullets."
Old 04-24-2003, 06:45 AM

Andrew, I am going the cheap route right now but if anything goes wrong, like cutting too much or it is too rough riding I was looking in that direction.

By the way, great article on your car a couple of months ago, thats an unbelievable ride. Tell me you drive it a lot. I love the shaker hood and 18 inch wheels especially.

Neil

Old 04-25-2003, 08:04 AM
Senior Chief

Cool project ! Should be a very reliable ride

The guys at Tuned port induction specialties sell some trick stuff for the LS1 . Ive got no interest in thier sales just lusted after the mini-ram for awhile lol

Best of luck Mule

Old 04-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I don't know how much lighter an LS-1 is than a sbc, but you might consider Hotchkiss springs for the front.
With the weight of the LS-1 and the Poncho sheetmetal, I bet you're close to a chevelle/sbc combo.
I'd also like to see more pix of your project. I really dig the LS-1 motor and the technology that's going into it's development.

John

Old 04-26-2003, 10:54 AM

Looks Sweet!
How did you mount the transmission? Stock crossmember? How far back did the crossmember have to move?
Any clearance issues with the steering shaft or brake booster?
Thanks and keep up the posts.

Robin

Old 04-26-2003, 02:33 PM

The last couple of days I have been rebuilding an automatic shifter assembly and prepping to dye the console black. It really works out great when you have an uncle restoring an orbit orange 70 judge with a couple of parts cars to trade with. So I have disasembled the whole shifter, blasted every part clean and painted semi-gloss black. If you did not already notice this is not a concourse resto. ha I will be reassembling it monday as well as looking into the trans tunnel. I forgot, even though it was originally an auto car the tunnel was modified for a 4spd and console before it came to my family and finally to me.

Also this past week I routed the LS1 throttle cable witch turned out to be alot easier than I thought. After a little work with a small file it clipped into the fire wall and the slack coming out was nearly perfect. All I had to do was fab up a small bracket because of the way it attaches and that was it. So hopefully this week I can get the shifter together and the tunnel worked out and the interior work will almost be done.

To answer some questions, I am still working out the trans mount, it is currently just resting on the original crossmember. There have not been any clearence problems with the steering shaft or brake booster. The steering shaft is sort of close, but I am still considering exhaust options. Street and performance is building a set for their 70 chevelle that should work.

Oh, I ended up cutting 2 full coils off the front springs in all and am happy with the way it sits right now. We will see after the first drive if it is too harsh and needs to be changed. Here is another pic with the front partially assembled. If you guys would like to see certain pictures do not be afraid to ask. If I don't already have one I most likely should and its not too hard with the digital.

Neil
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-758s.jpg
Views:	927
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	12646  

Old 04-27-2003, 05:36 PM
Ultimate Warrior

LS1's are slow...

97 Trans Am WS6
Best ET: 12.13
Best MPH 114.6
74 Formula 455
Best ET: 11.83
Best MPH: 113

Old 06-08-2003, 05:38 AM

How much did Street and Performance charge for the oil pan? Did you send them your old pan, or did they modify one of their own?
Any mods needed for the oil pickup with the new pan?
Hows it going on the rest of the drive train? What are you planning for the exhaust?
Thanks.
Robin

Old 06-09-2003, 05:55 PM

Am I mistaken or did you completely replace the frame for a chevelle frame??

Old 06-09-2003, 08:51 PM

Its almost done. Sorry it has been a while since the last update but I have been busy. Everything is done almost except the exhaust and the replacement of the recently discovered broken radiator. I have been promised the new radiator by Wednesday and hope to fire it up that afternoon.

In the attached photo you can see just a couple of things that I have been doing. First the very simple air intake setup, which some like and some don't (I personally like it) consists of a LT1 1LE package intake elbow, modified mass air, large K&N filter and very simple aluminum bracket. In the back ground you can see my relocated alternator and the mounted computer. The alternator ended up on top, which is fine with me. I took a couple of extra hours to plan and do but saved me a few hundred dollars over the Street and Perf alternative.

Nic, no I did not replace the frame with a chevelle frame, aren't they nearly identical anyways? I did have to use chevelle motor/ frame brackets that mount to the frame.

Robinb, the modified pan and pick up cost about $250 plus sending them my pan as a core. As for the exhaust, I have a set of street and performance headers, and a 2 and 1/2 inch flowmaster system. As for the drive shaft, my new 3.5 inch custum aluminum shaft fits beautifully, sorry I don't have a pic.

Hopefully I will have some finished pics and news by the end of the week.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Mvc-882s.jpg
Views:	808
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	13436  

Old 06-10-2003, 11:33 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Nice ls1. how much did you pick up the combo for?

Distinctive Riders
Muscle car club

Old 06-10-2003, 02:25 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Where in Central Illinois are you? I live in Peoria.

1968 GTO
1972 LeMans

"Where's Fast70TransAm??"

Heart Of Illinois GTO club member

"This aint no damn Chevelle"

Old 06-10-2003, 04:02 PM

Well I paid about 3K for the motor, 4L60E, wiring harness and computer. From my research I think I got a descent deal.

I live in Raymond, south of springfield about 30 miles.

Old 06-11-2003, 08:44 AM
Ultimate Warrior

THats a great deal. your a lucky man

Distinctive Riders
Muscle car club