Old 02-05-2021, 04:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default Torque specs on valve cover bolts

Hey all, I need some help with torque specs on aftermarket chrome valve cover bolts. I have installed new cork gaskets on new aftermarket chrome valve covers - plain with no sealant or gasket adhesive.
I originally tightened to 36 inch pounds (3 ft lbs) and the leak.
I am considering removing and applying gasket adhesive to the valve cover side of the gasket.

Old 02-05-2021, 05:40 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would suggest you use adhesive to the valve cover side;
I don't use torque specs, instead I gauge by feel with either a stubby ratchet, or a box end wrench.
For a worst case, you can often see when the gasket is being pinched.

Quite likely one of few '70 Muncie three speed Formula 400's left.

1991 Grand Am: 14.4 @ 93.7mph (DA corrected) (retired DD, stock appearing)
2009 Cobalt SS: 13.9 @ 103mph (current DD; makes something north of 300hp & 350ft/lbs)
The Following User Says Thank You to unruhjonny For This Useful Post:
Old 02-06-2021, 11:04 AM
Ultimate Warrior

use a good RTV like ultra black or grey or other quality gasket adhesive/sealer & glue to the cover with some weight on it over night to cure. then install & do as mentioned above & tighten to feel, try to get finger snug, then go 1/2 turn further. after a few heat cycles snug up again based on feel.

another option ot get a better seal is to use a thin coat of the RTV on the under side of the gasket too, this is more permanent but will ensure a good seal. i have been able to re use v/c gaskets with light dressing of ultra black at least 1 time after cleaning up the residue on the heads & redoing a thin coat.

but if tightened right & rechecked after awhile & periodically each season or so, good quality v/c gaskets should seal with no extra sealer. also be sure the chrome covers arent distorted & areas around the bolt holes are flat.