Old 02-28-2021, 03:54 PM

Default wheel paint to match 81 turbo pace car

I need to repaint my wheels and the only "wheel paint" I can find is Dupli-color VHT HWP100. I want to know if anyone tried this color and does it match the Cameo white of the car? Since there is 182 shades of white.
I found cameo white in a spray can but it is not for wheels and everyone recommends wheel paint.

Old 02-28-2021, 08:02 PM
Ultimate Warrior

im pretty sure the paint on the wheels wasnt "wheel paint" from the factory, it was just body paint & the same color as the body as far as i know. maybe others can confirm the color.

if you do confirm the color, i would have a paint shop mix up a good brand of the correct color in single stage to a spray can & use that or use a gun & B/C for extra protection from the clear.

other brands have a wheel paint in white too, i think rustoleum wheel paint does & i know dupli color does. a good automotive paint should be fine unless you plan to drive it hard or race it & get the wheels super hot.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/s...SABEgIzyvD_BwE

Old 03-01-2021, 10:34 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Try automotive touch up from New Orleans. They can match just about anything. You enter the specs for your car and they have the paint. Can get it in anything from nail polish size touch up to gallons. Prices are reasonable as well.

Old 03-03-2021, 08:05 AM

Default Cameo white

I know the paint code is GM Cameo White 726. I just didn't want to go through all that work and have the paint not hold up. They claim wheel paint will hold up to the harsh environment wheels are in. No, the car is not driven in winter or even rain, but I don't want the paint to fail after some time.
Thanks, Mike

Old 03-03-2021, 09:14 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I would think if the wheel were prepped properly, the same paint used on the body would be good. I dont see why a special 'wheel' paint is needed. Maybe for brake dust?

Old 03-03-2021, 10:08 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by macktrucks4 View Post
I know the paint code is GM Cameo White 726. I just didn't want to go through all that work and have the paint not hold up. They claim wheel paint will hold up to the harsh environment wheels are in. No, the car is not driven in winter or even rain, but I don't want the paint to fail after some time.
Thanks, Mike
the original paint lasts for 40 years & counting... i agree wheel paint isnt needed & wasnt used from the factory from anything ive read. same for other wheels these cars came with.

unless you are racing the car with these wheels or some other extreme situations a good quality automotive paint will work fine & wont fail. or look at the white wheel paint i linked to above, but i bet it doesnt match the cameo white body paint.