Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-02-2021, 08:58 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Default 79 Trans Am - 403 is Holley 750 to much carb.

Hello guys,
I recently purchased my 79 403 Olds with an aftermarket edelbrock performer intake with a 750 Holley double pump carb. It seems to run good with an approx 325 rear end gears and TH400 transmission. I would like to know how to determine if it has too much carburation with the Holley 750.
I recently had the stock heads redone to run on modern fuels and I would like to dial it in to get max performance without a whole lot more investment. The previous owner said the engine was rebuilt with a more aggressive cam then stock. It does seem to run much stronger than stock with a noticeable cam difference however he did not have specific info as to what the cam specs are or what exactly was done internally. And more importantly, exactly what information was used to determine the size of the carburetor that was selected. Holley carb numbers are 4779-7 2989 which, I believe is a Holley 750
Let me know your thoughts.
Thanks