WELCOME!

Go Back   PY Online Forums - Bringing the Pontiac Hobby Together > PY Welcomes 2004-06 GTO Owners > 04-06 General Tech/Discussion

04-06 General Tech/Discussion 2004-2006 GTO General Tech and discussion.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:17 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Default HSV GTS magazine article

I noticed the July 2007 issue of BMWCar magazine (published in the UK) has an interesting article comparing the Holden HSV GTS with the BMW 530i M Sport and the Ford Falcon BF Mk2 XR8. The point of the article wasn't outright performance but rather quality and drivability; the author of the story ultimately preferred the BMW (of course, he is writing for a BMW magazine) but he was very impressed with the Holden - he said, "I truly struggle to find any fault with the GTS's driving experience. It sounds great, it's apocalyptically quick for its size and weight and has a chassis that truly matches the performance capabilities of the car." Look for the magazine on your local newsstand. I'm not in the market for a new car, but if I were I'd be really looking forward to the arrival of the G8 here in the states.
Old 07-30-2007, 11:58 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Man, this is just sad. A post in a GTO forum regarding a BMW article written in the UK about an Australian Holden....as if the GTOs' identity wasn't watered down enough as is. Soon there will be a section just for Holdens and another just for G8s.
Old 08-01-2007, 03:28 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Hey, get off his back. In case you haven't noticed, the GTO is a Holden. It was cosmetic changes that made it a GTO, and I am not saying this to take away from the GTO in any way. It is an amazing car and does not get it's just respect here. If there was an article written about a GTO vs BMW, we would be all over it, but he was simply saying that the chassis our car is built on is world class and is respected by the drivers of the so-called Ultimate Driving Machine. It holds as much water as a Cavalier guy being upset over someone posting an article extolling the virtues of the Sunfire and not wanting to be lumped in with an "inferior" car. Get a life.
Old 08-01-2007, 10:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Well, I could have put it in the lobby so even more people would have a chance to whine about it... Hey, I'm just reporting the news, no editorialization here. The people who are interested in the GTO are most likely the people who will be interested in the G8, so I figured this was the best place.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:26 AM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit400
the GTO is a Holden. It was cosmetic changes that made it a GTO,
Like I said: Sad.
Old 08-02-2007, 12:35 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

The 74 GTO was a ventura/nova. It was cosmetic changes that made it a GTO.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bandit400
The 74 GTO was a ventura/nova. It was cosmetic changes that made it a GTO.
Yes, and most enthusiasts would agree that marked the end of the GTO. GM buried it again in 04. However at least the Ventura/Nova didn't resemble it's foreign competitors unlike the so called GTO of today.
Old 08-05-2007, 11:15 AM

The '64 GTO was a Tempest. It was cosmetic changes to made it a GTO.
And most would agree that 1969 was the last real GTO before they became fat and ugly.