Old 11-04-2000, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

This is great…

When in high school we all would cut lunch and race on Ore Road, it parallels RT.42, to see who had the fastest ride. Back then I had a 79 TA w/403 olds motor, slight mods, headers, intake and carb, shift kit and traction bars. The fastest car was a kid named Joel…he had an SS396 4-speed Chevelle but the car was not running when I had mine so we never raced…he was in the mid 12’s and my TA was running 14.20’s. Well there was this kid named Ed who had an 85 ½ GT Mustang who did not know how to shift as he would ALWAYS miss 3rd gear…which is why he could never beat me. Now this was back in 1987 and I have not seen Ed in 13 years when I am in my driveway working on my wife’s Vette when Ed comes driving by. We recognize each other and begin to talk when he notices a Trans-Am in front of the Vette and asks me if that is the same one I had in High School. I tell him yes, lie, and he says that he still has the Mustang too but it is now a racecar and I would not stand a chance against him. I blow it off and say whatever and Ed leaves. He comes back an hour later with his “racecar” Mustang…which means he now has Flowmasters, Nitrous and some stickers, funny, and asks if I want to race again as the car now has an automatic and I don’t stand a chance. I shrug him off and he starts to get arrogant flashing money in the air, attention getter, and saying that I would not stand a chance anyway. Well I take his $250 offer to race and we decide to run down Davis road in Runnemede as my friend is a cop there and could get us out of trouble. I tell him that I have to move the Vette to get out the TA and I will meet him there in 15 minutes. The anticipation was killing me when he warned me about his nitrous system…wink, wink…well I got the car started and out of the driveway and on my way to Davis road. I picked up my friend to start us off and hold the money and met Ed on Davis road. The look on his face was great, wish I could have taken a picture, he immediately started with the…that’s not fair…that’s too much tire…I want a head start…HEY you have nitrous too…that’s a race car…you get the point. Never the less this FOOL takes the bet. Chuck started us off while holding both of our money…his 12 second mustang didn’t quite cut it that day and I came home with an extra $250. I loved it! The only thing is…he never came back…I really wanted to bust his chops some more but I guess that was the end of his racing for money. The best part is that when his car was capable of winning…IT DIDN’T…and when it wasn’t…he put money on it…what a sucker.

Old 11-04-2000, 06:28 PM
Senior Chief

This is great…

When in high school we all would cut lunch and race on Ore Road, it parallels RT.42, to see who had the fastest ride. Back then I had a 79 TA w/403 olds motor, slight mods, headers, intake and carb, shift kit and traction bars. The fastest car was a kid named Joel…he had an SS396 4-speed Chevelle but the car was not running when I had mine so we never raced…he was in the mid 12’s and my TA was running 14.20’s. Well there was this kid named Ed who had an 85 ½ GT Mustang who did not know how to shift as he would ALWAYS miss 3rd gear…which is why he could never beat me. Now this was back in 1987 and I have not seen Ed in 13 years when I am in my driveway working on my wife’s Vette when Ed comes driving by. We recognize each other and begin to talk when he notices a Trans-Am in front of the Vette and asks me if that is the same one I had in High School. I tell him yes, lie, and he says that he still has the Mustang too but it is now a racecar and I would not stand a chance against him. I blow it off and say whatever and Ed leaves. He comes back an hour later with his “racecar” Mustang…which means he now has Flowmasters, Nitrous and some stickers, funny, and asks if I want to race again as the car now has an automatic and I don’t stand a chance. I shrug him off and he starts to get arrogant flashing money in the air, attention getter, and saying that I would not stand a chance anyway. Well I take his $250 offer to race and we decide to run down Davis road in Runnemede as my friend is a cop there and could get us out of trouble. I tell him that I have to move the Vette to get out the TA and I will meet him there in 15 minutes. The anticipation was killing me when he warned me about his nitrous system…wink, wink…well I got the car started and out of the driveway and on my way to Davis road. I picked up my friend to start us off and hold the money and met Ed on Davis road. The look on his face was great, wish I could have taken a picture, he immediately started with the…that’s not fair…that’s too much tire…I want a head start…HEY you have nitrous too…that’s a race car…you get the point. Never the less this FOOL takes the bet. Chuck started us off while holding both of our money…his 12 second mustang didn’t quite cut it that day and I came home with an extra $250. I loved it! The only thing is…he never came back…I really wanted to bust his chops some more but I guess that was the end of his racing for money. The best part is that when his car was capable of winning…IT DIDN’T…and when it wasn’t…he put money on it…what a sucker.

Old 11-04-2000, 06:51 PM
Ultimate Warrior

ROFLMAO
Man do I love a good Ford beating story

------------------
"Run wild with an Indian, not with the crowd in a Chevy"
Check out my restoration at http://members.aol.com/jetmech15/gto