Old 01-30-2002, 04:24 PM

I am having trouble this problem is about a potential car I might be buying. It is on a 1971 Buick Skylark Stage 1, Conv. I have no Idea what a stage 1 is. And even if the car is worth anything. So if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I am having a heck of a time even finding anything out about it. Everyone just tells me books to go and buy, and why would I do that if I don't even know anything about it. Please help if you know anything!

Old 01-30-2002, 04:24 PM

I am having trouble this problem is about a potential car I might be buying. It is on a 1971 Buick Skylark Stage 1, Conv. I have no Idea what a stage 1 is. And even if the car is worth anything. So if anyone could help me I would really appreciate it. I am having a heck of a time even finding anything out about it. Everyone just tells me books to go and buy, and why would I do that if I don't even know anything about it. Please help if you know anything!

Old 01-30-2002, 04:53 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I would be very wary of any '69 or '71 purported Stage 1 GS's. Many of these supposed "Stage 1" cars have been cloned from regular GS's & are worth a fraction of what a real one is worth.

Factory documentation is available on most of the '70 model GS's through the Sloan Foundation, & through an individual w/ the records(will have to ck who), on the later model '70 GS's. Unfortunately, NO documentation on the '71's!

You really need an honest hardcore GS expert to ck the car over, & even then, one needs to carefully examine the original buildsheet.

Be advised, as such a REAL car is very valuable, it might be tough to find someone who is willing to do this w/o trying to beat you out of the deal. I would shy away from all of the carlot types, as they are the worst.

Old 01-30-2002, 06:11 PM

I had a 71 Buick Stage 1 coupe car for 12 years. The stage 1's were like a Poncho's HO option. Different cam, reworked carb and distributer, bigger valves in head. The stage 1 heads are valuable and in 71 shared the same casting # as the regular heads(have to pull head to tell). 70 had a casting # all to themselves. There are many more items, vin#, block # etc. that can be deciphered if its real or not.

There are some Buick books out there you can buy. As OPH said, these are valuable cars and are often counterfeited. Contact Poston Enterprise in Alabama and they will have the books you need. Also, a big bookstore should have Illustrated Buyer's Guide to Buicks. Much info in there also. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

Old 02-04-2002, 12:09 PM
Senior Chief

Go to the AACA website and look under general forums. The Buick Club of America has their bulletin board there. I'm sure there are several who monitor that board with the knowledge you need. Antique Automobile Club of America

[ February 04, 2002: Message edited by: Tim642957 ]</p>

1964 Grand Prix
1966 Bonneville Brougham
1980 Trans Am - original owner