Old 12-15-2000, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

I am not much of a golfer however I can appreciate anybody who is at the top of their field. When growing up I lived near Columbus Ohio the hometown of Jack Nicholas.Back in 1977-78 Nicholas had just recently opened up the Muirfield golf course started his Memorial Day golf Tournament.
Pontiac decided to use Jack in some of their promotional advertising that year.So they used the new golf course as the backdrop and a new white / powder blue int. 77 Trans Am as the car that Jack promoted in the commercial for Pontiac.
The dealer who provided the courtesy cars & the T/A for the commercial was then Avery Pontiac now named Dave Gill Pontiac. After the tournament my dad got a call from one of the salesman who he had previously bought cars from.He explained how they had this new T/A that was used in a commercial for Pontiac and he could make my dad a good deal on it.
My dad ended up buying it it was loaded(400/ auto air power locks doors everything except t-tops) it had every option that you could order & it was a nice ride.
So some where out there is a white T/A with a powder blue interior that has played a part in Pontiacs advertising history.I hope that it is still exhists and is in someones garage & not crushed & recycled into a Mitsubishi or Honda!!
Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 12-15-2000, 11:13 AM
Senior Chief

I am not much of a golfer however I can appreciate anybody who is at the top of their field. When growing up I lived near Columbus Ohio the hometown of Jack Nicholas.Back in 1977-78 Nicholas had just recently opened up the Muirfield golf course started his Memorial Day golf Tournament.
Pontiac decided to use Jack in some of their promotional advertising that year.So they used the new golf course as the backdrop and a new white / powder blue int. 77 Trans Am as the car that Jack promoted in the commercial for Pontiac.
The dealer who provided the courtesy cars & the T/A for the commercial was then Avery Pontiac now named Dave Gill Pontiac. After the tournament my dad got a call from one of the salesman who he had previously bought cars from.He explained how they had this new T/A that was used in a commercial for Pontiac and he could make my dad a good deal on it.
My dad ended up buying it it was loaded(400/ auto air power locks doors everything except t-tops) it had every option that you could order & it was a nice ride.
So some where out there is a white T/A with a powder blue interior that has played a part in Pontiacs advertising history.I hope that it is still exhists and is in someones garage & not crushed & recycled into a Mitsubishi or Honda!!
Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 12-15-2000, 01:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

We got a video and it has a commercial of Jack selling the Firebird's early on. I want to say it's a 71 Esprit but I'll have to look to be sure.

Old 12-15-2000, 05:28 PM
Senior Chief

Rocky,This was a 77 T/A he may have done other commercials as well for Pontiac. I believe that he either owned a dealership in Florida or had an interest in a dealership there,as well as ties with the dealer in Columbus at the time.This was in Jack's prime golfing years.
Just goes to show how you may never know the complete history of an old Pontiac warrior.
I drove this same T/A non stop from Columbus ,Ohio to New Orleans(except-food-r.r. breaks )in 21 hours at 70-80mph & averaged 21-22 mpg.not bad for a 400cube smogmobile!
Later Mark B.

------------------

Old 12-15-2000, 09:14 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Crusier, no problems at all. I think maybe Jack liked his Firebirds. I'm pretty sure it was Jack....