Old 07-03-2001, 12:57 AM

I remember it like it was yesterday, in the 70's at the tender age of 9 or 10 my dad owned a 1969 carousal red Judge he bought from a good friend of his.
I remeber him racing in the car on one of the streets that was 15 minutes from our house. His best friend owned a black 1970 that I thought at the time was alm,ost as cool as my dad's car.
He would run with me in the car and even at that age I know I would someday own a GTO, I had good mentors as I approched driving age my dad told me the the Judge he sold back to his friend for his son was going to be sold to me if I recieved a C average in a my High School classes.
I recieved at least all C's and was looking forward to following in my fathers footsteps when we learned that the car was stolen and never recovered.
I owned and parted GTO's after that including my 1969 conv. that I still own and yearn for a Judge of my own.
2 of the guys I went to school with dropped by my mothers house once a year for 10 years to see if they could get ahold of me and talk me into selling the conv. and everytime my answer was no.
I just recently decided to start restoring the 1969 conv. that I bought when I was in High School. I haven't driven the car in 10 or 12 years.
I'm attempting to sell the extra parts I have and re-learn all the GTO stuff I forgot and look forward to restoring my GTO to its former glory. I sure had some good times in that car and know that in the near future I again will be the proud, rabid GTO guy that got sidetracked by life and looks forward to returning to the fold.
I owe it to my father, like they say "He takes after his dad"
ALAN

Old 07-03-2001, 12:57 AM

I remember it like it was yesterday, in the 70's at the tender age of 9 or 10 my dad owned a 1969 carousal red Judge he bought from a good friend of his.
I remeber him racing in the car on one of the streets that was 15 minutes from our house. His best friend owned a black 1970 that I thought at the time was alm,ost as cool as my dad's car.
He would run with me in the car and even at that age I know I would someday own a GTO, I had good mentors as I approched driving age my dad told me the the Judge he sold back to his friend for his son was going to be sold to me if I recieved a C average in a my High School classes.
I recieved at least all C's and was looking forward to following in my fathers footsteps when we learned that the car was stolen and never recovered.
I owned and parted GTO's after that including my 1969 conv. that I still own and yearn for a Judge of my own.
2 of the guys I went to school with dropped by my mothers house once a year for 10 years to see if they could get ahold of me and talk me into selling the conv. and everytime my answer was no.
I just recently decided to start restoring the 1969 conv. that I bought when I was in High School. I haven't driven the car in 10 or 12 years.
I'm attempting to sell the extra parts I have and re-learn all the GTO stuff I forgot and look forward to restoring my GTO to its former glory. I sure had some good times in that car and know that in the near future I again will be the proud, rabid GTO guy that got sidetracked by life and looks forward to returning to the fold.
I owe it to my father, like they say "He takes after his dad"
ALAN

Old 07-03-2001, 08:40 AM

Alan, my dad also is responsible for getting me interested in pontiacs and I too went away from the scene for a while and am back have having a good time. Good luck with your project.

Old 07-04-2001, 01:27 AM
Senior Chief

Welcome aboard and nice story - actually touching since I now hae a son of my own...

but I do have one question

Did your Mom know that your father went street racing with you in the car? [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

Old 07-04-2001, 03:00 AM

I don't remember, I'm going to ask her.
It's strange now that I'm older she denies things and forgets things that we (my sister and I) remember, I do know that Child Services would have me in protective custody if that happened today and would not hesitate deny me these, the memories that shaped one of my many passions.
Folly, but someday I'm going to tell him how much those memories mean to me.
I should also mentioned the people in the upper-middle class neighborhood I grow up in would not be surprised at all to know that indeed my father was reckless and foolish.
I hope your son aquires the passion for fine, interesting autos just like his father, hopefully he get bite by the bug and you can bore him with stories of the old days.
ALAN

Old 07-06-2001, 05:19 AM
Senior Chief

I don't have to worry about my son liking cars. It's actually cute - when he is playing with his cars instead of making the motor sounds the way millions of kids have - the Brrr type noise - he has to have his sound like it is 'souped' up. A kinda womp womp sound. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And my wife beat my @ss a couple of months ago when I got on my 94 TA with my son with me. He liked though - he kept on yelling "GO Daddy GO" from his car seat.

Old 07-06-2001, 07:00 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Before I started redoing my 65 I used to take my son for a short romp every once and awhile. He was aroung five years old. One time my wife was walking my daughter in her stroller I backed the Goat out of the driveway, straightened it out, revved it up and dumped the clutch. It did a nice little fish tail and just missed clipping the mailbox as I took off up the street. My wife was about 100 yds. away (when she's mad that's a safe distance) She later told me the old guy across the street came running out of his house screaming "What the Hell was that?". My wife's reply "That was my A-Hole husband!"

Well my son and I liked it! He He He. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img]

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"Treat Me Good, I'll Treat You Better; Treat Me Bad, I'll Treat You Worse"
Sonny Barger
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Old 07-06-2001, 03:50 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

I just bought my son his first socket and wrench set. Remembering how much fun I had with my dad handing tools I have tried to start my son off on the right foot.
I was amazed a couple years ago when he wanted to help me while doing something or the other on my car. I gave him a couple sockets and a crashed door shell to strip. I swear it wasn't 20 minutes and he had everything out, window track, latches- evrything with a bolt or screw was removed. Now if I could just teach him to put things together......

Old 07-06-2001, 06:46 PM

Well, my dad never worked on them he just drove. My mother is the mechanical one, but never really got the hang of cars just stuff like irons and lamps, not my father.
Hopefully your son will learn to put things back together and return tools that don't belong to him.
ALAN

Old 07-11-2001, 05:12 AM
Ultimate Warrior

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Zig'sbird:
I don't have to worry about my son liking cars. It's actually cute - when he is playing with his cars instead of making the motor sounds the way millions of kids have - the Brrr type noise - he has to have his sound like it is 'souped' up. A kinda womp womp sound. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif[/img]

And my wife beat my @ss a couple of months ago when I got on my 94 TA with my son with me. He liked though - he kept on yelling "GO Daddy GO" from his car seat.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Zig, I can relate to this also. The woman I live with has two kids. Ashleigh is four, and looks like a little blond doll but is tougher than I am most of the time. Loves to take everything apart such as alarm clocks, printers, and her brother Nicholos's toy cars. Then, hides all the parts. Nicholos on the other hand is very careful with his and other peoples stuff. Anyway, although I own seven cars, from a 2001 SUV to a old 62 Chevy short bed it's the old truck and my 68 Firebird 350 I drive the most. I love these kids as if they were my own, and it's returned to me by them. Mom, is very protective of all of us though, and keeps reminding me to be careful when I have the kids in the cars with me. Well, the 62 PU i own is still really rough except for the 502 engine it has as well as Bear disc breaks and power steering. the Firebird, has a high milage 350 in it, but still gets around pretty well. When I pick the kids up I make sure they are buckled in, and they we drive the long way home, and drive hard. Safe but hard. Lots of burnt rubber. We listen to songs by REO Speedwagon, and others from back in the 70's. Kids singing and laughing and me feeling like I'm giving them a gift they will always have no matter how long I'm with them. Memories, of what it was like to be in fast old cars, and how to tell the number of a Pontiac head, by looking for the casting number. They go part hunting with me as well. The junk yards first, and then to DQ. Oh yeah, life is good. Mom, just deals with it the best she can, knowing how much love we all share. By the way, i was in country, when Mom was still loading her shorts. [img]/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]~ Good day friend.

Mike

------------------
Never Mistake Kindness For Weakness !!!