67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-28-2006, 10:58 PM

Question ignition cylinder

Can I get some advice from the "pros" on the board? I have a problem with the column ignition in my '69. I shut the car off and had trouble getting the key out of the ignition. When I tried to re-start the car, nothing happened. It seems like something has slipped in the column, and the key doesn't turn far enough to engage the starter. It does turn far enough to get in the "run" position. With the key turned as far forward as possible, I can start the engine by jumping across the starter solenoid (tough to do from the bottom through a header). Has anyone had this problem? I think the lock cylinder is original, and I wonder if the tumblers got worn and slipped. Also, any tips on getting the column apart. I couldn't figure out how to get a green plastic ring that's part of the turn signal mechanism out without breaking it. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-30-2006, 09:01 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Do you have headers? or is the linkeage missing?
...can you start in all gears? If so, its probably the cloumn collar that has turned...,I had a missing linkeafe and had wire to hold it but the collar would still turn...turn the collar all the way to the left , counter clock wise, its probably that...,

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 01-30-2006, 09:42 AM
Ultimate Warrior

I've had the same issue with my 1973 Z-28. In my case it turned out to be the sector gear inside the steering column. Somehow the sector gear jumped forward one tooth on the rack. This caused the sector gear to bottom out on the rack before it got to the starting position and would not let the ingition cylinder return to release the key.

Basically, the ignition system linkage looks like a minature rack and pinion gear set. The sector gear is the pinion gear (has external teeth) and is driven by the lock cylinder. The sector gear teeth then drive a flat piece (rack) inside the column. This flat piece can only side back and forth along the length of the column (toward or away from the steering wheel). The flat piece is connected to a rod that runs all the way down the column to the ignition switch. Pushing or pulling on the rod causes the switch to go thru it's range of motion. (Start, Run, off, accy on). If the sector jumped a tooth, it gets the switch one or two positions off.

If this is the case, you'll need to disassemble the top end of your steering column to get to and reposition the sector. This is do-able but a major pain in the butt.

You'll need to disconnect the battery and pull off the steering wheel and the lock ring cover plate. Next you'll need to take off the steering column locking ring. The hardest part is getting the steering column lock ring out off as it has a nasty little snap ring that's a pain. I suggest gettng the lock ring removal tool as it makes this part much much easier. Then, you'll need to disconnect the long flat turn signal harness connector under the dash. Then unscrew the turn signal canceling cam assembly inside the column and side the whole harness up and toward you to gain access to the sector and cam.
I'd remove and replace the worn sector gear with a new one. Reindex it into the correct position and then reassemble in the opposite order.

Old 01-31-2006, 09:40 PM

Thanks for both suggestions. Luckily Bjorn was right and it was a simple fix. At least I can start it, but it'll need the linkage for a permanent fix. Do you still have your '73 RAJ? A '74 Z was my 1st "muscle" car almost 30 years ago. I put it in quotes because it had so much pollution equipment on it. New heads, cam, intake, Holley, and headers helped, but the low compression still made it a bit of a dog :-( I still managed to have a lot of fun in that car.

Old 02-01-2006, 09:22 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Unfortunately, I got fired from my first job out of college and had to sell the 73 Z-28 to be able to live until I got a new job. That was ten years ago and it still hurts to this day as it was my first car and me and my grandpa (now dead) worked on it together. I still hope it pops up on e-bay so I can buy it back. Last time I saw it, the new owner was boiling the hides off it in Kansas City Missouri. To compensate for the loss, I bought a 1969 TA to tinker around with.

Old 02-01-2006, 10:03 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by '69 coupe
Thanks for both suggestions. Luckily Bjorn was right and it was a simple fix. At least I can start it, but it'll need the linkage for a permanent fix. Do you still have your '73 RAJ? A '74 Z was my 1st "muscle" car almost 30 years ago. I put it in quotes because it had so much pollution equipment on it. New heads, cam, intake, Holley, and headers helped, but the low compression still made it a bit of a dog :-( I still managed to have a lot of fun in that car.
The linkeage is reproduced, I bought one from Chicago Muscle car for $15-20

http://FirstGenFirebird.org/show/closeup.mv?CarID=221

breathe and enjoy it , life is temporary

69 Firebird convertible
71 Triumph TR6
Old 02-01-2006, 11:01 PM
Ultimate Warrior

'69 coupe

Do you have an auto or manual trans??

Look and see if you've got the lower portion of the linkage rod assembly on your car already. If you don't, I've got most of a spare linkage rod set for an auto you can have. You'll need to clean it up. I'm missing the rod that runs from the linkage to the steering column which is the rod your definetly missing and will need to find or buy. Let me know.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC01139.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	40968  

Old 02-04-2006, 08:13 PM

RAJ, I understand how you feel. I ran out of money in college, had to be "practical", and sold my Z28. It was quite a money pit, but I ended up in a Pinto, and haven't fully recovered yet. I have an auto transmission. I checked, and I have the upper part of the linkage (it's unhooked but there), and am missing the lower section. I appreciate the offer for the lower section. I'll PM you for details.

Old 02-04-2006, 11:34 PM
Ultimate Warrior

A Pinto!! Yipes!! I heard that they are like a nun and get real hot when you smack them on the hiney. Anyway, I got your PM and will send out the linkage on Monday.