67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:24 PM

Looking to possibly do this during my build up. If I am correct the 68 headlight size is 5 3/4? I have found replacement lenses for the H4 round setup. Just wondering if this size is correct and if anyone has indeed already done this and can help me out in my quest.

Thanks again!

Bob S.

Old 11-16-2004, 12:24 PM

Looking to possibly do this during my build up. If I am correct the 68 headlight size is 5 3/4? I have found replacement lenses for the H4 round setup. Just wondering if this size is correct and if anyone has indeed already done this and can help me out in my quest.

Thanks again!

Bob S.

Old 11-16-2004, 01:03 PM
Ultimate Warrior

Interesting subject. Is the HID system your refering to high efficiency bulbs?

Or is it the true HID crystal and ballast? The reason I ask is that there is quite a difference in wiring between the two. The real HID's work like a high frequency spark plug. A ballast is charged and then the voltage is dumped at high frequency thru a crystal. Once the crystal heats up, it emits a very bright and intense light. HID systems usually come in two forms. The first has the ballast and crystal combined into one package. This is the safest setup but the package is bulky and not very spacially efficient. The second style involves using a central ballast with remote mounted crystals. This is more spacially efficient but the wires going from the ballast to the crystal carry high voltage and will shock the piss out of you if your not careful.

RAJ

Old 11-16-2004, 03:44 PM

To be honest RAJ I am not totally sure. I do know they make kits for the H4 round lamp. I am assuming as most I have seen...the ballasts are remote. This way you have many more places to hide the ballasts out of eye sight. Just starting to delve into the possibilities. I think it would be a cool modern touch Have you dealt with HID system retrofits?

bob

Old 11-16-2004, 03:48 PM

RAJ I found this link. Looks like in this sealed beam retro kit the ballasts are intergrated into the mounting of the lamp. whatcha think?

http://www.brightheadlights-hid.com/...ghts-x5006.htm

Bob

Old 11-16-2004, 04:56 PM
Senior Chief

Send a message via AIM to GTOken Send a message via MSN to GTOken Send a message via Yahoo to GTOken

I have been looking at putting some more modern lighting in my 68 Bird also. Kinda liked the looks of the clear lens headlights but was worried about the quality of light. And I was quite sure there should be a different reflector for the inside high beam and not just use another set of the hi/lo units. But I could not find any clear lens headlights for the hi beam only application. So I decided to look at the Hella's. The units are part number 71156 (hi)[uses H1 bulb] and 71456 (hi/lo)[uses H4 bulb]. If you are interested in using Hella's I found a fantastic deal on the HI beam units for $25 each. Here is a link to the forum where I found it, about half way down the page,
Hella Headlight 71156 $25

I have also found them on Ebay. I will be getting the hi/lo units on Ebay for $35 each.

"Life is one big smokey burnout after another." -- me
Old 11-16-2004, 06:32 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1 Bad Bird

I worked with Nordic to develop the first HID lights for use on large and medium sized bull dozers. Dozers don't have any suspension so the lights can regularly see G loading up to 20 g's. We had a hell of a time designing the isolation mounts, guards, and internal circuits to live under these extreme condition. We also had to beef up the tractors light circuits to handle the high end rush current that occurs when you first turn the lights on and charge the ballasts and warm the crystal. Fortunatly we pulled it off and the lights are now very robust.

We pushed Nordic to develope HID lights with the internal ballasts because we were affraid that with a remote ballast, a field mechanic would go to change a blown crystal, forget the power was on, and get shocked. Not cool. We replaced 8 normal forward facing lights with 4 HIDs and we've got over twice the range and usable light available. Very very big improvement. On a cloudy dark night, I can read the Sunday paper over 200 yards in front of the dozer without a problem. If you think the KC off road lights are bad ass, these things put even them to shame.

Well, now that I'm done ranting I'll check out the sites you listed.

Old 11-16-2004, 07:00 PM
Ultimate Warrior

1 BAD

Sweet package! I am a little confused by the add though. The picture shows what appears to be 4 lights but the description to the right only says it includes 2. The text at the bottom says that the kits contain halogen high beam lights to improve the systems low beam performance.

So what do you get with the kit? Do you get 2 HIDs that replace the low beams and two halagens to replace the high beams for 4 lights total? This would seem logical.

Or is the picture at the top showing the refectors and lenses seperately and you really get the halogen high beams built into a single light fixture with the HIDs (meaning you'd need a second set to replace you inner high beams.) I can't tell by the picture.

Rob

Old 11-16-2004, 07:07 PM

RAJ I took it as being you get two HID lamps for low beams and two Halogen sealed beams for HIGH. Alot of the HID cars use standard Halogen for high beams. Not sure though.

bob

Old 03-15-2010, 12:52 AM

Did any of you follow through on this? If so where did you put the remote ballasts? I am going to install the Hella's with the remote ballasts.....also wondering any thoughts on what sealed beam would look good for the high beams?

Old 03-18-2010, 10:21 AM
Ultimate Warrior

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1 BAD BIRD View Post
Alot of the HID cars use standard Halogen for high beams. Not sure though.

bob
Yeah, I noticed this too. I guess that alot of money to have HID's for hi beams as well considering you probly won't use them that much.

68 Firebird, trying a q-jet now. 434/10.5:1/997's/240-242 HFT/4L80E/2800 Yank/3.42's/ Vintage Air/ 13.0 @105 mph
70 Lemans, 350/350, A/C, mostly stock
14 Ram CC, 5.7 Hemi, 8-speed, 3.92 lsd
97 Trans Am, HPP Aug 2012 http://www.highperformancepontiac.co...tiac_trans_am/ ***Sold***
Old 03-18-2010, 05:44 PM
Ultimate Warrior

I went thru this a few years ago
maybe do a search under my name and HIDs
I used the Hellas and a Mc Culloch kit.
I also played with internal shields to help with the cutoff.
I have since sold the system to a friend so cant show any pics.
True HIDs will have a sharp cut off pattern so as not to blind oncoming traffic.
There are reflector and projector types with take different bulbs.