67-69 Firebird TECH Includes 69 TA.

Old 01-02-2000, 04:06 PM

On my '68 Firebird it has factory installed a.c., I'm taking the engine compartment apart to sand down and repaint. Can I just take it apartor should I leave it connected? It'll take me about two months to to sand and paint. Should I(can I)just disconnect the condensor and the dehydrator off? I could probably work around the "big box" on the fire wall. Any help woud be apreciated. Not knowing is holding me up.

Old 01-02-2000, 04:06 PM

On my '68 Firebird it has factory installed a.c., I'm taking the engine compartment apart to sand down and repaint. Can I just take it apartor should I leave it connected? It'll take me about two months to to sand and paint. Should I(can I)just disconnect the condensor and the dehydrator off? I could probably work around the "big box" on the fire wall. Any help woud be apreciated. Not knowing is holding me up.

Old 01-02-2000, 10:13 PM

yes, you can dissasemble it however if you do you will loose all your freon from it and will have to have it recharged which can be rather pricey, but that would be the perfect time to buy a r134 retrofit kit for about $40 at the parts store and convert it over to modern day refrigerant. Besides if you are going to sand and paint the engine compartment why not do the job right the first time by removing everything and doing a complete job

Old 01-02-2000, 10:20 PM

Not that the Freon Police are likely to be around, but breaking the connections and letting the Feron "disipate" is illegal. Not to mention that it can be a tad dangerous (the expanding freon is in the neigborhood of -40 of. If that splshes or sprays on you it can cause pretty quick frostbite.)

Old 01-04-2000, 11:33 PM
Administrator

Additionally, it is very important that the "dryer" canister stay sealed if sitting around for an extended time. Once moisture gets in there, it will probably have to be replaced. Original size and shape dryers are no longer readily available.

Old 03-21-2000, 11:05 AM

Try NAPA for pumps and driers, other parts may be available at Air Mec out of Ca. at 1-800-548-8636.

------------------

http://clubs.yahoo.com/clubs/tinindians