Pontiac - Race The next Level

Old 01-15-2000, 11:19 PM

I have a 1978 trans am. I am trying to replace the front emergency brake cable. I am having problems where the cable passes fron the inside of the car to the outside. The bolt is frozen and I can't get anything to hold on to the housing to get the bolt off. Anyone done this before? What did they do?

thanks

Old 01-15-2000, 11:19 PM

I have a 1978 trans am. I am trying to replace the front emergency brake cable. I am having problems where the cable passes fron the inside of the car to the outside. The bolt is frozen and I can't get anything to hold on to the housing to get the bolt off. Anyone done this before? What did they do?

thanks

Old 01-20-2000, 10:17 PM

I am not sure of which bolt this is, but here are a few generic things to try.
Spray it down with liquid wrench.
Try getting vise grips on it.
If it is in a place where you can safely heat it try heating with a propane torch.
I have also had to grind off the head of stuck bolts remove the object and the get vise grips on the "stud" that is left.
You can drill a hole into the bolt and use an ease out. It goes into the hole and grabs the bolt to pull it out. Access to the bolt is always the limiting factor on removing it.
Good luck,
Keith

------------------
The Pontiac Trans Am Page