Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
Senior Chief

Default My Battery Disconnect Switch

Hi Everyone,

For years, I've wanted to install a battery disconnect switch of some type because I know my wiring is getting old and brittle. I don't like the ones with the big green knob, or the big knife blade because they're so obvious and look so out of place. I finally got tired enough of pulling the battery terminal every time I drove it and decided to figure something out.

I thought I'd post this here in case anyone else likes the idea.

I bought a Flaming River The Little Switch, FR1002. It came with a 90* bent bracket, that wasn't any good for where I wanted to mount it. So, I made my own flat bracket using it as a template. I also rotated the two mounting holes by 90* so the switch is in the position I wanted it.

I mounted the bracket to the underside of the battery tray using bevel-head screws so they were flat on the surface. I drilled two near the switch and one further back for extra support.

They recommend breaking the negative cable, so that's what I did. With the switch in this location, I didn't need to buy any extra cable.

I wrapped the cable in masking tape (keeps everything nice and intact) and cut it with a hacksaw. I took the cables and the switch to a local battery shop and had them crimp the correct terminal lugs on the ends. I put shrink wrap over the lugs.

My car has a short wire lead off the negative terminal that bolts to the fender. I had to disconnect (and not use) that lead or it would have kept the battery tied to the car even when the switch is off. I cut off the end and put a few layers of shrink tubing over the end, and routed it out of sight.

The negative battery cable goes to the disconnect switch terminal closest to the battery. The other switch terminal goes to the engine ground bolt. I wanted to keep the "negative terminal to the fender" ground, so on the "switched" switch terminal (the cable that goes to the engine), I also connected a new wire and ran that to the fender bolt. Now, when the switch is off, the Battery's negative terminal goes to the disconnect switch and is an open circuit. When the switch is on, the circuit continues to the engine ground bolt and to the fender.

I am very happy with it. Now, I can easily disconnect the battery and know I have peace of mind that I can't have an electrical fire due to a shorted wire, with the easy, simple flick of the switch. A little side benefit is the red handle comes out if you turn it a little further ccw. So, I now have a simple anti-theft device when I want it by removing the key.

I like the fact that it's out of sight, yet easy to get to. You have to be looking for it to see it, especially when you remove the red key.

Switch On

Switch Off

Key removed

Cap on

Terminal lug and shrink tubing

It doesn't stand out like a sore thumb.

Old 08-05-2013, 10:49 PM
Chief Ponti-yacker

Well done.

A friend of mine has several 32 Fords; he uses that type of flag switch in every one of them. Those switches work great.

1910 Buick Model 19 Touring
1923 Cadillac 5 passenger coupe
1933 Pontiac 4 door sedan project
1933 Sport Coupe project
1968 GTO, 428, THM400, 2.73 posi cruiser
1969 Chevrolet C10 Fleetside, 350, THM400
1958 Buick Caballero 4dr hdtp wagon
2018 Ram 1500 to tow stuff
2024 Buick Encore GX
Old 08-06-2013, 08:33 AM
Senior Chief

I like it, nice switch and write up!